The Student Room Group

Get rid of pointless classified football results

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by River85
Oh.........impressive. I see what you did there. The philosopher applauds.

I will leave it at this.

This is your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it. But also appreciate that others have theirs. You are not right. They are not right.

If it bothers you so much then go to the BBC message boards. Write into Points of View.

Perhaps there should be a poll on this thread? You can then take the results to the BBC. Sample size will obviously be small but it's a start.

In reality I can mute the thing and minimise it when it comes on and I wouldn't want it cancelled if I genuinely thought some people were relying on it when I could of course, just ignore it. This wasn't a call to action. I just wanted to find out if anyone else found them irritating or at least pointless.
Reply 41
You will no longer be irritated by it. However, those who do enjoy the classifieds can still enjoy it.

Perhaps it should be removed and be part of the red button service. People who then went it can press the red button for it. For those who don't know how to use digital text, add £1 to the licence fee and provide "digital text training sessions" in peoples homes.

There, problem solved. Not Northern Ireland is it.

Original post by 122025278

So, all this hullabaloo about horsemeat can just be solved by us all becoming vegetarians then we have nothing to moan about?

Irrelevant to the thread but I really don't see the fuss about horsemeat (beyond the obvious fact that you should know exactly what it is that you're eating). I don't understand this yuck factor. As if eating a horse is more disgusting or "worse" than eating a cow. It's the same with the morons who got worked about Philip Schofield eating a Guinea Pig in Peru a few months ago. "But it's a pet". Not in Peru. Cows are sacred in some cultures yet we still eat them don't we.

Anyway..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by JD95
Well you'll have already seen the parts of the show you want by that point so you'll have no reason to continue watching ergo no reason to give a **** really..

It's obvious that neither of us is going to change our opinion so I'm out.

You've asserted that I have no reason to watch the show. In fact the whole reason it bothers me is because I'm still watching the show at that time as usually they get reaction from the managers, commentators, the evening game and the pundits discuss.

I'm amazed though you still don't get it. If Jimmy Savile was still alive today and on TV your solution would be don't watch him then, problem solved.
I've been regularly going to matches all over the country for last 4-5 years (and watching local non-league stuff for 3-4 years before that!) (so don't get in until 7pm-12am most Saturdays), and I miss sitting down and watching the classifieds on BBC.

I absolutely loved it when I was in primary school, early secondary school sitting down in front of TV watching the results come in. Saturdays that consisted of going shopping with family then coming in to watch Grandstand, watching the scores, proper Saturday night telly, Match of the Day. This was before computers went mainstream, loved it that part of being a kid. I was young then and loved it, 20 now and love what I do now.

Now, I still love classifieds and final score. Even if most weeks I get the scores on Twitter/BBC Sport website as I come home from somewhere after watching a match: whether its a Wednesday home game or some non-league match 80 miles away.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
No.. I'm asserting that you have no reason to watch the END OF THE SHOW. This is where the classifieds are read out, no? We're reaching the point of you going "lalalalalalala I cannot hear you lalala".
Reply 45
And yet again you bring up a completely irrelevant point, this time Saville. I'm out.
Reply 46
Original post by ChapelTom
This was before computers went mainstream, loved it that part of being a kid

You're 20, aren't you?

Computers and the Internet were fairly mainstream in 2000 or so. Inexpensive home computers became available in the 1980s. I had the interwebs in 1996 at the age of 11 (first PC in 1994, Spectrum in the 1980s).

However, I take your point. I'm glad someone appreciates the romance.
Reply 47
Original post by River85
You will no longer be irritated by it. However, those who do enjoy the classifieds can still enjoy it.

Perhaps it should be removed and be part of the red button service. People who then went it can press the red button for it. For those who don't know how to use digital text, add £1 to the licence fee and provide "digital text training sessions" in peoples homes.

There, problem solved. Not Northern Ireland is it.

Irrelevant to the thread but I really don't see the fuss about horsemeat (beyond the obvious fact that you should know exactly what it is that you're eating). I don't understand this yuck factor. As if eating a horse is more disgusting or "worse" than eating a cow. It's the same with the morons who got worked about Philip Schofield eating a Guinea Pig in Peru a few months ago. "But it's a pet". Not in Peru. Cows are sacred in some cultures yet we still eat them don't we.

Anyway..

It reminds me of the outrage people seem to have at the Koreans, Chinese, Vetnamese for eating dogs. I don't get it. What makes a dog more sacred than a cow? (vice vera if you're a hindu)

I do think there is a yuck factor though. It depends what part of a horse we're eating. If it's beef and we're expecting certain cuts, we don't want to be eating horses testacles, gullet, brain etc. I admit probably unlikely that those bits are in the horsemeat, but it doesn't seem like there is anything to stop them doing that, or at least mixing in the cheap bits with the relatively good bits. Their is a big food safety issue too.
Reply 48
Original post by JD95
And yet again you bring up a completely irrelevant point, this time Saville. I'm out.

Have some respect. It's spelt SaVILE (fitting) and he is referred to as Sir Jimmy Savile, not just Savile.
Original post by River85
You're 20, aren't you?

Computers and the Internet were fairly mainstream in 2000 or so. Inexpensive home computers became available in the 1980s. I had the interwebs in 1996 at the age of 11 (first PC in 1994, Spectrum in the 1980s).

However, I take your point. I'm glad someone appreciates the romance.

Of course yeah, but I didn't have a computer with the internet till 2002 ish and the internet didn't really get good until about 2004 or 2005 for me.
Stupidest thing is when they give out the results on bbc news just before match of the day.
Reply 51
Personally I like to mimic him and read the scores out loud in time with him so that my family think it's just me reading out the text on TV. He trips me up every now and then though, when, for example I just say Charlton 3 - Arsenal nil, he says Charlton Athletic 3 - Arsenal nil

I get really upset when I get it wrong, I get so disappointed in myself.

That's why it's the same old man who's been doing it since I was 5. He's just the best there is. He knows all the quirky team names that us mere amateurs don't.

I love him. Let's keep him.

I'll contact The Sun and we'll set up a petition to keep the old chap.
Reply 52
Original post by Rybee

That's why it's the same old man who's been doing it since I was 5. He's just the best there is. He knows all the quirky team names that us mere amateurs don't.

I thought they booted him off a while back because as an octogenarian he refused to move to Manchester and the BBC refused to let him do the scores over the phone?
Reply 53
I get him on a special channel. Subscription only to faithful fans.

Quick Reply

Latest