The Student Room Group

How do you feel when someone new approaches you? (Girls)

I am curious how girls feel if a guy (you never spoke to before) just starting talking to you in a lecture( at the end or just before it begins)?

If he's attractive or not does it make a difference? Do you feel annoyed/awkward if you have no attraction to the guy?

Or are you happy to speak to a new person?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

if it was someone random on the street then i wouldn't like it and would most likely feel awkward. However if i knew he went to the same college/university then i wouldn't mind (no matter what he looks like) and would probably be happy talking to him and making conversation :redface:
You could always just try introducing yourself and then you can gauge whether they want to speak more regularly. Obviously don't speak to them during the lecture or when they're busy trying to sort out notes etc as that could be irritating. I would also limit it to the person you're sitting/standing next to.

I think it's shocking how many people aren't polite enough to introduce themselves and make small talk between their peers and colleagues.
Reply 3
So what would be a good conversation starter? There's this girl on my course who I think is gorgeous but seems like the quiet type, I just have no idea on how I should approach her without it being awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cake_lover
So what would be a good conversation starter? There's this girl on my course who I think is gorgeous but seems like the quiet type, I just have no idea on how I should approach her without it being awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd just say something like "hi, I don't think we've spoken before, I'm ____". It's difficult to say where you should go from there, because what you go on to say depends on the situation, but something about the course or a recent uni social event might be good.
Reply 5
I think I'd be quite happy to talk to someone new from college/ Uni and like someone mentioned before I'd find it weird if some random off the street tried talking to me lol
I remember last year I didn't know anyone and I didn't talk to anyone and made limited friends when they talked to me but this year I've initiated conversation myself and I talk to everyone and it's great- my confidence has honestly rocketed
So after my essay I'm just saying- start conversations yourself and get to know people and just jump in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am curious how girls feel if a guy (you never spoke to before) just starting talking to you in a lecture( at the end or just before it begins)?

If he's attractive or not does it make a difference? Do you feel annoyed/awkward if you have no attraction to the guy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he's attractive then sure, why not. If he's unattractive then I wouldn't want him talking to me, those guys creep me out

Some random fat guy the other day in my uni tried to start a conversation with me. I basically ignored him and walked past him
Reply 7
Original post by SarahWorksout
If he's attractive then sure, why not. If he's unattractive then I wouldn't want him talking to me, those guys creep me out

Some random fat guy the other day in my uni tried to start a conversation with me. I basically ignored him and walked past him

:rolleyes:
You sound nice.
Reply 8

You sound as pleasant as a moulding sandwich.
Reply 9
I don't like ignoring people so I wouldn't mind talking to anybody who approached me (in school/college/university grounds), whether it is during a first year of something (secondary school/moving to a new primary school etc.) or whether it is a couple of years into a course where solid friendship groups have already formed.

Attractiveness would not affect how friendly I was or how awkward I felt I don't think, but more majorly if I had seen that person act like an outright prick/bitch I would probably act a little less friendly.
(edited 11 years ago)

I'd rather speak to a girl that I am not attracted to (who is not rude) compared to a hot girl that acts rude at times to others.
I'm happy to speak to a new person. To be honest, when speaking to potential friends their looks aren't of any concern for me.
Original post by Axion

Wow, how rude
Reply 13
Wow, how rude

Yeah.. you deserved it. :wink:
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't mind, it's always nice to meet new people. How attract he was wouldn't make any difference as to whether or not I'd talk to him, definitely not annoyed or awkward if I wasn't attracted to him as long as the conversation was decent
Reply 15

:hi5:
Reply 16
Original post by Axion

I'd still eat it :wink:.
Original post by Axion

Original post by Pinkhead
:rolleyes:
You sound nice.

It's the truth though, unfortunately that's how humans work... get used to it.
Reply 18
Ill feel lucky! Very very few acquaintances/friends of mine engaged the initial conversation. Most of the time I find myself initiating.

Ppl should rly try initiating, I'll be glad if I could find anyone like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally love it when people approach me out of the blue, but that's just me :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending