The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

guys! i need help....
do we need to legalise our documents before 20th march or do you do thst once the results are out? :O
Reply 21
Original post by outnumbered
guys! i need help....
do we need to legalise our documents before 20th march or do you do thst once the results are out? :O

You only need to do that if you have a place, it's a waste of money to do it beforehand. I waited until results were out.
Original post by zackhere4
You only need to do that if you have a place, it's a waste of money to do it beforehand. I waited until results were out.

sound. thanks a million.
how do you find studying there? pavia or milan?
Reply 23
Original post by outnumbered
sound. thanks a million.
how do you find studying there? pavia or milan?

Yeahh it's pretty sound, milan.
Reply 24
Im studying in Rome. Its very nice, especially this second semester the teaching staff is very good and much more interesting. Also they are quite liberal with exams here ( probably in Italy in general) because you dont have to take for ex. anatomy exam in the semester you studied anatomy. You can do it next semester or in September. The city is amazing, but sometimes the number of tourists is a bit overwhelming. People say that Rome is a bit cheaper than milan ( I pay 350 euros for my room).
I really envy you guys cos you can choose more than one. Last year we couldn't. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask me. I would be glad to answer. Last year when I was looking for some information about medicine in La Sapienza I was very confused and it was very difficult to find answers.
As far as getting ur documents ready: I had IB, so I just send my original certificate to Switzerland and they took care of everything.
Original post by k-thornton
Im in Milan is there any questions you would like me to answer?

Hi,

Im sitting the imat and was wondering how did u achieve your score, if it's not to personal? Is milan great and how many applicants do they accept?

i would greatly appreciate it if u could answer these qs.:smile::smile:
Reply 26
Original post by cheesypuff
Hi,

Im sitting the imat and was wondering how did u achieve your score, if it's not to personal? Is milan great and how many applicants do they accept?

i would greatly appreciate it if u could answer these qs.:smile::smile:

I got 35.75 and was placed 74 and got accepted on the third round I didn't do much but was just after coming from a degree . I love Milan myself. Last year there was 50 EU and 10 International. This year there is 40 EU and 20 International. anythng else?
I got 35.75 and was placed 74 and got accepted on the third round I didn't do much but was just after coming from a degree . I love Milan myself. Last year there was 50 EU and 10 International. This year there is 40 EU and 20 International. anythng else?

How did you prepare for the imat?
Reply 28
How did you prepare for the imat?

i used physics for dummies plus a-level/ leaving cert chemistry, my biology was up to scratch already.

there's a group set up on facebook if anybody wants to join http://www.facebook.com/groups/130176057160980/
i used physics for dummies plus a-level/ leaving cert chemistry, my biology was up to scratch already.

there's a group set up on facebook if anybody wants to join http://www.facebook.com/groups/130176057160980/

were u doing alevels or leaving cert?
if so would u mind telling me your grades/points?
Reply 30
Hi, on the IMAT registration page there is a section for school results; I am currently in my final year of a BSc so which results should I put in there?
Original post by rcarr22
Hi,

I am looking to sit the IMAT to study Medicine in Italy starting September 2013. I am still undecided between Milan and Pavia. Is there anyone who studies at either of them or is looking to study there that can tell me the pros and cons of each?

Thanks.

Will you not be paying out of your own pockets the course fees?
Sorry haven't done any research on medicine unis in Italy, I'm currently generally looking for unis that just like in UK will provide you with loans or bursaries so that you don't need to pay out of your own pocket.
Reply 32
Original post by PureDevotion
Will you not be paying out of your own pockets the course fees?
Sorry haven't done any research on medicine unis in Italy, I'm currently generally looking for unis that just like in UK will provide you with loans or bursaries so that you don't need to pay out of your own pocket.

Depending on the country you may be able to get work in a country beforehand and then apply for the country's student finance on the basis of having an equal right to it as a worker in that country, though I'm still unsure as to whether you'd have to continue working (as far as I can tell, around 12 hours per week is the minimum accepted here) during the course to get it (I'm going off my research in Denmark). There was a case taken to the EU courts here recently on the same issue. In Denmark you either apply according to the country's rules of entitlement or according to EU rules of entitlement (hint: the EU rules will most likely always be the ones you need to go for). You'll need to do a lot of research into this though and it may end up as a fight against stubborn authorities, possibly requiring legal help. So yeah... ideally you'd save up or get family to support you financially.
Reply 33
were u doing alevels or leaving cert?
if so would u mind telling me your grades/points?

I got 425 but have done a degree in the mean time and got a 2:1 oh and the leaving cert
Reply 34
Hey, not long until the IMAT now! Please would someone be able to tell me what we need to take with us to the test? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Aniaaa
Im studying in Rome. Its very nice, especially this second semester the teaching staff is very good and much more interesting. Also they are quite liberal with exams here ( probably in Italy in general) because you dont have to take for ex. anatomy exam in the semester you studied anatomy. You can do it next semester or in September. The city is amazing, but sometimes the number of tourists is a bit overwhelming. People say that Rome is a bit cheaper than milan ( I pay 350 euros for my room).
I really envy you guys cos you can choose more than one. Last year we couldn't. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask me. I would be glad to answer. Last year when I was looking for some information about medicine in La Sapienza I was very confused and it was very difficult to find answers.
As far as getting ur documents ready: I had IB, so I just send my original certificate to Switzerland and they took care of everything.

Hi Aniaaa
I am another IB student, and need your help in getting my IB documents certified - what is the exact process and how long does it take for Switzerland to complete and return the documents.. Thx.

:wink: :borat:
Reply 36
On the IB website you can find an email address, I think under 'legalization'. You contact B, they send you back an answer describing the process of legalization, the amount of money you have to pay for all this, and the address where you should send the original IB diploma. There were some problem with mine and it took a bit longer that ussual, bt from I remember it takes 2-4 weeks from the date they receive your diploma.
Trying to find guidance re: studying medicine in Italy as a post grad.
Italian passport, born in London want to do medicine in Rome/Pavia/Bari/Milan in English! (mother is Italian and I have dual cititzenship)
Need any advice one can offer me!
No idea where to start, cost per annum, requirements and most important confirmation that as a post-grad it will take only 4 years in Italy.

Grateful for any pointers and suggestions.
Thanks
...also want to start in 2014 and I've no idea what an IMAT is & documents/papers req.
Many thanks for any bit of info.
Reply 39
Original post by sabinswindon
...also want to start in 2014 and I've no idea what an IMAT is & documents/papers req.
Many thanks for any bit of info.

Hi,

I've just got back from Pavia, after enrolling at the Uni and sorting out my accommodation, so just thought I'd let you know what its like. (I'm assuming you're from UK / EU citizen)

Firstly, you get very little from the Uni in terms of information / support - you pretty much have to do everything on your own, which can be a bit daunting.

Unlike the UK system, you don't actually "apply" to an individual uni; you choose which Uni you want to go to when you register for the IMAT. If you pass, and you're high enough in the ranking, you're in. That's it. No application forms, no personal statements, no interviews.

The IMAT this year was held in April - in previous years it was always in September. Assuming it is April 2014, then enrollment for the IMAT opens in February and closes Mid-March. The cost this year was EUR 120. You have to register onhttp://www.universitaly.it/index.php/

The IMAT is similar to the BMAT. It comprises 60 questions: 30 logical reasoning with a few general knowledge, then 30 between chemistry, physics biology and maths. You get 1.5 marks for a correct answer, with 0.4 taken off for each wrong answer.

This year, there were a maximum 10 bonus points awarded - 5 if you attended school taught in English, or had one of the international English certificates, and a maximum 5 based on last 3 years exam results - don't worry too much about this at the moment, because rumour has it they will be dropped next year

For more details, past papers and test specification see http://www.admissionstestingservice.... at/about-imat/

Again, for the first time this year, you could choose up to 3 universities in order of preference - if you failed to get in to your first choice uni, but scored higher than others for the 2nd or 3rd, then you would get in there.

To enter the ranking lists, you need a score of at least 20. This year, if you scored 58+ you got your first choice uni, it is possible to still get a place with a lower score but this process is still ongoing...

That's all the easy part...

Assuming you passed the IMAT, and get a score high enough to get into your first choice Uni, you then have 4 days to get to the Uni and enroll. This year for example, they published the lists on 29th July of those who had their first choice places, and you had to enroll in person by 1st August. You need to get an Italian tax code (codice fiscale), copy of your passport, and something called a Declaration of Value (DV) - this translates your UK qualifications into Italian. If you're doing your A-levels next year, don't worry as you have until the end of November to produce this.

For the tuition fees, there are made up of two parts: a fixed fee everyone pays, and a variable part. This year I paid EUR 660, being the fixed part and some of the variable. The remainder of the variable is based on something called an ISEE, based on family size, parental income, size and value of property - there are separate requirements if you are an independent student, i.e. been away from parental support for at least 2 years.

The town of Pavia (based on the last week) is very nice, lots of cobbled streets, lovely little bars and restaurants. Accomodation is good quality, I've arranged somewhere for EUR 350 per month. There is a central accomodation office run by the Uni which helps you find somewhere to stay.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.

MickieJ