The Student Room Group

Is an Economics BA the way to go for accountancy?

Okay, so here's my situation right now: I'm year 12 and currently studying English Lit (lots of work but interesting), History (interesting, not sure how I'll cope in the exam), Economics (favourite subject) and IT, I'm probably going to drop IT at the end of the year because I've heard uni's don't really like it? It's a shame as it's probably the subject I'm best at. I haven't a clue what kind of grades I can expect at A2 making looking at university courses a real pain, I think a realistic predict is BBB. But I think I'm pretty set on doing an Economics BA, because I'm not taking Maths and am probably not going to get A*AA or whatever the uni's offering it expect, I kinda thought a BsC was outta the question. After the degree I want to apply for an internship at a 'Big 10' accountancy firm.

I'm just wondering if this seems like a good idea and a realistic route, or whether I'm better off going for an accountancy degree or even History/English Lit?!

Also, for those thinking why I don't just go for an internship straight away, I want a degree under my belt in case it doesn't work out, as well as the life experience I'll gain.
Original post by xelentoliver
Okay, so here's my situation right now: I'm year 12 and currently studying English Lit (lots of work but interesting), History (interesting, not sure how I'll cope in the exam), Economics (favourite subject) and IT, I'm probably going to drop IT at the end of the year because I've heard uni's don't really like it? It's a shame as it's probably the subject I'm best at. I haven't a clue what kind of grades I can expect at A2 making looking at university courses a real pain, I think a realistic predict is BBB. But I think I'm pretty set on doing an Economics BA, because I'm not taking Maths and am probably not going to get A*AA or whatever the uni's offering it expect, I kinda thought a BsC was outta the question. After the degree I want to apply for an internship at a 'Big 10' accountancy firm.

I'm just wondering if this seems like a good idea and a realistic route, or whether I'm better off going for an accountancy degree or even History/English Lit?!

Also, for those thinking why I don't just go for an internship straight away, I want a degree under my belt in case it doesn't work out, as well as the life experience I'll gain.

It's a tricky one. The fact is you'll find people with all kinds of non-mathematical degrees in big accountancy firms who are, nonetheless, accountants...

That said, if a recruiter sees you have a BA where you could/should have a BSc, they may think less of your subject and you.

Then again, they could not!

If you take IT, would you get better grades? Ultimately, grades are what matter to get you into the best uni you can. That is what matters to employers after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
That's true, I was tempted to do a History degree but I haven't a clue how I'll do in the exam. Interesting, so if I got an A in IT at A2 Universities would look at it higher than a B in say, English Literature?

*Sorry for the slow reply, busy busy!*
Original post by xelentoliver
That's true, I was tempted to do a History degree but I haven't a clue how I'll do in the exam. Interesting, so if I got an A in IT at A2 Universities would look at it higher than a B in say, English Literature?

*Sorry for the slow reply, busy busy!*

Well my point is that the A will meet higher requirements than the B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending