The Student Room Group

Wage drop after returning to old job

Hi
I recently stepped up to cover a management position on a temporary basis at a higher wage and was told I would receive my old contract back at the end of the management contract. Since I have returned to my old contract I have found that my wage has dropped to less than what I was on before I took the managers contract.
Can they do this if I was verbally told I would receive my old contract back?
Reply 1
Original post by paulmather1
Hi
I recently stepped up to cover a management position on a temporary basis at a higher wage and was told I would receive my old contract back at the end of the management contract. Since I have returned to my old contract I have found that my wage has dropped to less than what I was on before I took the managers contract.
Can they do this if I was verbally told I would receive my old contract back?

First find out if this is an honest mistake. If not, then the employer might be trying to pull a fast one on you... claiming you never were given a temporary management position and you were overpaid.

Can you prove you worked temporary in management? Did you have a written agreement during that period you'll be paid higher than usual?
Reply 2
Original post by firaWhoops
First find out if this is an honest mistake. If not, then the employer might be trying to pull a fast one on you... claiming you never were given a temporary management position and you were overpaid.

Can you prove you worked temporary in management? Did you have a written agreement during that period you'll be paid higher than usual?

Although I didn't sign a contract, it is known amongst most people in the store that I did cover the position. They told me that they can't put people back onto my old pay level anymore and everyone has to go back down to the normal wage, but my view is that paying me less than what I was originally earning isn't being given my old contract back
Original post by paulmather1
Although I didn't sign a contract, it is known amongst most people in the store that I did cover the position. They told me that they can't put people back onto my old pay level anymore and everyone has to go back down to the normal wage, but my view is that paying me less than what I was originally earning isn't being given my old contract back

Id speak to them again about it and try and get them to put you back on the pay you where on before covering the managers position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending