The Student Room Group

ABRSM Questions

I went onto the ABRSM website, and I am considering taking Music Theory grades 4 and 5. However, the exam date this summer for music theory, according to the ABRSM website, is on Saturday 15 June (10am). That's just 1 date and 1 time. So my question is... would I be able to take the grade 4 and grade 5 exam back to back on that day/time? Or would I only be allowed to sit one, and have to sit the other later that year for the winter exam session?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by _jarv_
I went onto the ABRSM website, and I am considering taking Music Theory grades 4 and 5. However, the exam date this summer for music theory, according to the ABRSM website, is on Saturday 15 June (10am). That's just 1 date and 1 time. So my question is... would I be able to take the grade 4 and grade 5 exam back to back on that day/time? Or would I only be allowed to sit one, and have to sit the other later that year for the winter exam session?

This doesn't make sense to me. Why do you want to take both grade 4 and 5? If you think you are going to pass grade 5 (and you wouldn't take it unless you thought you would,) why don't you just take grade 5?
Reply 2
Original post by draghm
This doesn't make sense to me. Why do you want to take both grade 4 and 5? If you think you are going to pass grade 5 (and you wouldn't take it unless you thought you would,) why don't you just take grade 5?

The reason is because it would feel odd for me to have grades 1, 2, 3, and 5, but not 4, so more of a personal gain thing...

So, you may have a fair point or whatever, but I really don't get why people respond to threads without answering the question...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by _jarv_
The reason is because it would feel odd for me to have grades 1, 2, 3, and 5, but not 4, so more of a personal gain thing...

So, you may have a fair point or whatever, but I really don't get why people respond to threads without answering the question...

I can see from your answer that you probably don't understand about grade exams. In some ways you are treating them in a sensible way, as you are collecting the certificates, and you have obviously realised that they aren't important exams?

Lets start with grade 8. In an adult world, grade 8 is a beginners exam because it is at the bottom of what it is possible for you to learn as an adult. At school grade 8 is an advanced exam.

So if grade 8 is a beginners exam in an adult world, what do you think grade 5 is?

So now we are back to the fact that you are collecting the certificates. Don't you think that these certificates are actually quite expensive to acquire if you don't really need them?

You don't really need the grade 4 certificate because you think that you could just go straight for the grade 5 one. This leads me to another question.

Haven't you got something more interesting to spend your money on than a very expensive piece of paper that you don't need?
Reply 4
Original post by draghm
I can see from your answer that you probably don't understand about grade exams. In some ways you are treating them in a sensible way, as you are collecting the certificates, and you have obviously realised that they aren't important exams?

Lets start with grade 8. In an adult world, grade 8 is a beginners exam because it is at the bottom of what it is possible for you to learn as an adult. At school grade 8 is an advanced exam.

So if grade 8 is a beginners exam in an adult world, what do you think grade 5 is?

So now we are back to the fact that you are collecting the certificates. Don't you think that these certificates are actually quite expensive to acquire if you don't really need them?

You don't really need the grade 4 certificate because you think that you could just go straight for the grade 5 one. This leads me to another question.

Haven't you got something more interesting to spend your money on than a very expensive piece of paper that you don't need?

So that basically translates to "Don't get the qualification because it is crap and a waste of money". Lord knows how this post got a thumbs up :s

How do you know I don't need grade 5 theory? Many entry requirements for a-level music courses require you to have grade 5 theory if you don't have a gcse in music. Also, grade 5 theory is required if you want to do grade 6 or higher in an instrument (which I do).

What do you mean by 'beginners exam in the adult world'? Do you just mean it is easy? Fair enough if it is easy, but it's still a qualification
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by _jarv_
So that basically translates to "Don't get the qualification because it is crap and a waste of money". Lord knows how this post got a thumbs up :s

How do you know I don't need grade 5 theory? Many entry requirements for a-level music courses require you to have grade 5 theory if you don't have a gcse in music. Also, grade 5 theory is required if you want to do grade 6 or higher in an instrument (which I do).

What do you mean by 'beginners exam in the adult world'? Do you just mean it is easy? Fair enough if it is easy, but it's still a qualification

If you need grade 5 to do A level music you don't need grade 4.

Grade exams are not counted as music qualifications because what they test is too narrow.

If you want to take grade exams on an instrument with some boards you need to have passed grade 5 theory but not all grade exam boards require this and then you still don't need grade 4.

For grade 8 you get UCAS points and a certificate nothing else. It doesn't qualify you to do anything, none of the grade exams do. What they are is a form of test to make sure that you have learned what you are supposed to have done in your lessons. A bit like a spelling test.

At school grade 8 is considered to be advanced, like A levels. As an adult it is considered to be a beginners exam, an exam that you take in order to start studying an instrument just as A levels are required for a university course, the A levels are the bottom qualification for a degree. So grade 8 is the bottom exam for learning a musical instrument because you have to be better than this to study music at university.

Now that you know that some grade exam boards, ( there are at least 3 boards) don't require you to have passed grade 5 theory to take grade 8 you now know that you actually don't need to take the grade 5 exam or the grade 4 exam.

Because these exams are not qualifications within music only in relation to each other as in grade 7 is better than grade 6 and not as good as grade 8 you can see that it doesn't really matter which board you use or whether you take them or not. My advice would be to only take the ones that are useful like grade 8 for UCAS points and not bother with the others. You could also consider taking the exam with the board that is cheapest to enter. All the grade exams are roughly the same standard so why take the most expensive one? You can get UCAS points and a certificate with the cheapest one?
Reply 6
Ok, and yes, I know that grade 8 is better than 7 which is better than 6 etc and that they are all relative to each other.

But, ignoring the grade 4 stuff and just talking about grade 5.... what I'm saying is, if you do not have a GCSE in Music, but want to do A-Level Music, then to get onto A-Level Music some colleges require you to have grade 5 in an instrument and grade 5 in music theory (or AT LEAST grade 5 if we're being technical). This makes up for not having a GCSE in Music in terms of entry requirements for A-Level music. This is what I mean. As snoop dog would say, do you know what I'm saying?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by draghm

Grade exams are not counted as music qualifications because what they test is too narrow.

But you get a certificate. And it's music-based. This makes it a music qualification :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by _jarv_
But you get a certificate. And it's music-based. This makes it a music qualification :confused:

A qualification qualifies you to do something in the subject. What does grade 5 qualify you to do in music?
Reply 9
Original post by draghm
A qualification qualifies you to do something in the subject. What does grade 5 qualify you to do in music?

You are being far too meticulous.

It is a qualification. Whether you think it aught to be or not is a different matter.

Key Skills IT Level 2 is a qualification - a lousy one, but a qualification nonetheless.

GCSE Media Studies is a qualification - you don't need it for a-level, or for anything, but it's a qualification still.

Grade 5 in an instrument and grade 5 theory are qualifications. GCSE Music is. And A-Level Music is a more useful qualification.

Are all these subjects that I've mentioned here qualifications in your view?

I don't mean to seem bitchy, I'm just very confused by you saying it's not a qualification. Certificate = qualification, no? :confused:
Original post by _jarv_

He did answer the question. You asked how you could cope with there only being one day and time available, and the answer is to just do one exam.

I didn't do any of the lower theory exams, just grade 5 as it was required for the higher practical grades. You can still learn the theory (and it's vital really if you want to progress to G5) and even do some practice papers if you like to ensure you've grasped it, but it makes absolutely no sense at all to take more than one exam in the same session. With music exams, people just want to know which is the highest exam you've passed. I skipped several of my practical exams for all of my instruments and it makes no difference.

What's the point in tiring yourself out for something which is meaningless once you've done the G5 exam? It's sort of like passing the higher maths GCSE paper and then saying you want to resit your SATs because you skipped that exam (kind of).

With any qualification or exam, once you've achieved a higher level, the previous levels no longer matter.
Reply 11
I know this. My original question however was would it be ALLOWED to do 1 exam after the other. Not 'would i cope'. So he didn't answer the question. He did offer his opinion, but didn't directly answer the question I asked. But that doesn't matter now anyway because I've already got the answer for that from the exam board.

But now - I'm more confused as to why he's said they're not music qualifications. That's like saying GCSE Music is not a qualification...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by _jarv_
You are being far too meticulous.

It is a qualification. Whether you think it aught to be or not is a different matter.

Key Skills IT Level 2 is a qualification - a lousy one, but a qualification nonetheless.

GCSE Media Studies is a qualification - you don't need it for a-level, or for anything, but it's a qualification still.

Grade 5 in an instrument and grade 5 theory are qualifications. GCSE Music is. And A-Level Music is a more useful qualification.

Are all these subjects that I've mentioned here qualifications in your view?

I don't mean to seem bitchy, I'm just very confused by you saying it's not a qualification. Certificate = qualification, no? :confused:

It doesn't make any difference whether I think it is a qualification or not what makes a difference is if anyone else thinks that it is a qualification.

You say that grade 5 theory can be used at your school instead of GCSE music for music A level. However I think that you will find that if you were to apply for a job your GCSEs would be regarded higher than grade 5 theory. The grade 5 theory would be regarded as something that you did with your spare time and might help to get a job, but so might a badge for swimming or a being a member of scouts or guides, it shows that you haven't spent all your time doing school work. You see if the job asked for 5 GCSE passes you wouldn't get it if you had 4 GCSE passes and grade 5 theory. It is also possible that at some schools they wouldn't accept it instead of GCSE music for A level study. So you can't rely on it always being accepted for anything.

Grade 5 instrument isn't a general qualification in music because it can't be transferred to any other kind of music study apart from for another grade. Think of A level maths. With an A level in maths you have knowledge that will let you study a wide range of subjects, maths physics, engineering etc so you can transfer your skills in maths. For music grades the only knowledge you get is how to pass a grade exam, you can't use anything that you learn in a grade exam except for another grade exam.

Many people do not take grade exams, because they only prove that on a particular day with a particular pianist you got a certain pass mark.

The thing about music is that your standard is determined by how you play everyday, in orchestras, small groups on your own or with a pianist and the standard has to be the same all the time every time you play. So if you only play at a certain standard on one day in an exam how does that tell anyone else how you will play tomorrow? This is why grade exams can only be compared to other grade exams and not to general playing standards? So you could say that for example grade 5 flute is a qualification compared to other grade exams, but it isn't a music qualification only a grade qualification. I always look at them that if you like collecting things like stamps, or swimming badges or china pigs then go ahead take all the grades and collect the certificates, however the certificates are very expensive bits of paper just to collect.

Most people feel that rather than paying money to exam boards it is more interesting to use the money for music courses, or buying nice music to play, or going to listen to concerts. If you want to learn how to perform playing a solo in front of an audience is much more satisfying than playing in front of one person. (The examiner)
Reply 13
Right. The misunderstanding was that I thought you implied that it wasn't a qualification in general, but what you meant was that it isn't a music qualification. Ok then. I'd still class it as a music qualification though. I realise what you're saying, about it only being one day, but any exam in anything is just one day too. Ok for GCSEs you have to revise or whatever throughout 2 years, and for grades you practice/revise over a few months or whatever in preparation for the one-off exam. But I still see it as a music qualification. Because it is music based, even if just 1 area. It's just a different type of music qualification, and a smaller one due to less time spent doing it, but still a music qualification nonetheless. So is this just a case of how one sees it then? Or is it 'officially' regarded as not being a music qualification? Because it shouldn't be a case of what people think are qualifications or not, it should be a case of what is a qualification or not.

I mean, just for example, GCSE Law - would you consider that a Law qualification? Because even though it's a full GCSE, you do not need it to get onto A-Level Law.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I've just done some additional research, looking at A-Level Music entry requirements for various colleges, and.....
EVERY SINGLE ONE asks for either GCSE Music OR, if not taken, Grade 5 in your instrument/Grade 5 Theory. So grades ARE useful for getting onto A-Level Music if you didn't take the GCSE.

Here are just a few of those examples:

http://www.woodhouse.ac.uk/coursedetails.aspx?m=&mi=&ref=68

http://www.s-cheshire.ac.uk/newcamp/allsects/courses/x-course.asp?course=W3AS&scc_area=1

http://www.henleycol.ac.uk/henleycollege/courses/arts/music/alevel.html

http://www.truro-penwith.ac.uk/ft/music-a-level-truro-college/

http://www.newcollege.ac.uk/course-information-sheets/nc138-music-asa-level

http://www.exe-coll.ac.uk/Course.aspx?id=MPA-4d636d62-6d1a-4720-890d-68c88d9b5bae

So yes, grades can be very useful for getting onto a-level music, as evidenced here
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by _jarv_
Right. The misunderstanding was that I thought you implied that it wasn't a qualification in general, but what you meant was that it isn't a music qualification. Ok then. I'd still class it as a music qualification though. I realise what you're saying, about it only being one day, but any exam in anything is just one day too. Ok for GCSEs you have to revise or whatever throughout 2 years, and for grades you practice/revise over a few months or whatever in preparation for the one-off exam. But I still see it as a music qualification. Because it is music based, even if just 1 area. It's just a different type of music qualification, and a smaller one due to less time spent doing it, but still a music qualification nonetheless. So is this just a case of how one sees it then? Or is it 'officially' regarded as not being a music qualification? Because it shouldn't be a case of what people think are qualifications or not, it should be a case of what is a qualification or not.

I mean, just for example, GCSE Law - would you consider that a Law qualification? Because even though it's a full GCSE, you do not need it to get onto A-Level Law.

No GCSE law is a GCSE qualification, it isn't a law qualification. A law qualification is one taken by someone in order to get a job as a barrister or a solicitor or some other branch of law. These people are usually already qualified as lawyers, or are working in a field that requires knowledge of certain branches of law.

So a grade qualification, is a grade qualification, it isn't a music qualification as such because you can't use it on its own to get further in a music career.

A levels are A level qualifications, so Law at A level doesn't qualify you to be a lawyer.

It gets more complicated when you get to A levels. For example if you wanted to go to university to study music, grade 8 won't get you into the top courses because the universities accept only people who pass their audition and have the right A level grades. So someone coming to the UK to study music from a country where they don't do grade exams will still get in if they have the right A level standard exams and they pass the audition.

Supposing that you wanted to go to university to study a different subject, just having passed grade 8 isn't what universities are interested in, they want evidence of which groups you play in, which concerts you have done etc. So playing in things is more useful as it shows that you have spent time playing all kinds of music, and learning useful skills like team work and not just pieces on an exam syllabus. Basically anyone can learn exam pieces.

So what people usually do is take exams that are useful, like as you have found out grade 5 to be. They don't take the other exams because all you get is a certificate. Taking an exam is really expensive, because the costs also include all the lessons that you have paid for where you have studied the exam pieces. They also slow down your progress, because you have to spend time learning a set of pieces instead of learning lots of new pieces. To find out the full cost of taking an exam add the cost of the lessons for learning the pieces and the scales to the exam entrance cost and the cost of hiring an accompanist if you need one, and the cost of getting to an exam centre to take the exam. I would expect the result to be in hundreds of pounds.
Reply 16
Original post by draghm
No GCSE law is a GCSE qualification, it isn't a law qualification. A law qualification is one taken by someone in order to get a job as a barrister or a solicitor or some other branch of law. These people are usually already qualified as lawyers, or are working in a field that requires knowledge of certain branches of law.

So a grade qualification, is a grade qualification, it isn't a music qualification as such because you can't use it on its own to get further in a music career.

A levels are A level qualifications, so Law at A level doesn't qualify you to be a lawyer.

It gets more complicated when you get to A levels. For example if you wanted to go to university to study music, grade 8 won't get you into the top courses because the universities accept only people who pass their audition and have the right A level grades. So someone coming to the UK to study music from a country where they don't do grade exams will still get in if they have the right A level standard exams and they pass the audition.

Supposing that you wanted to go to university to study a different subject, just having passed grade 8 isn't what universities are interested in, they want evidence of which groups you play in, which concerts you have done etc. So playing in things is more useful as it shows that you have spent time playing all kinds of music, and learning useful skills like team work and not just pieces on an exam syllabus. Basically anyone can learn exam pieces.

So what people usually do is take exams that are useful, like as you have found out grade 5 to be. They don't take the other exams because all you get is a certificate. Taking an exam is really expensive, because the costs also include all the lessons that you have paid for where you have studied the exam pieces. They also slow down your progress, because you have to spend time learning a set of pieces instead of learning lots of new pieces. To find out the full cost of taking an exam add the cost of the lessons for learning the pieces and the scales to the exam entrance cost and the cost of hiring an accompanist if you need one, and the cost of getting to an exam centre to take the exam. I would expect the result to be in hundreds of pounds.

Ok fair enough, I understand and hope we're cool.

Would you consider GCSE Music a Music qualification? Or just a GCSE qualification?

Anyway, sorry if I seemed harsh or whatever, I just wanted to get my point across that grade 5 theory and/or practical (and sometimes even grade 4) can be used as a substitute for gcse music in terms of getting onto a-level music.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by _jarv_
Ok fair enough, I understand and hope we're cool.

Would you consider GCSE Music a Music qualification? Or just a GCSE qualification?

Anyway, sorry if I seemed harsh or whatever, I just wanted to get my point across that grade 5 theory and/or practical (and sometimes even grade 4) can be used as a substitute for gcse music in terms of getting onto a-level music.

Well what does a GCSE in music lead to? It leads to A level music. But it doesn't lead to a career in music.

I didn't want to be harsh or bossy I just wanted you to understand that spending lots of money on grade exams doesn't really help you to get further on with music studies.

Here is another question. What does the exam board get from people taking all these exams?

The other thing that you need to know to complete the picture is that there is no actual exam qualification for being a professional musician in the UK. You get to be a professional musician if you pass auditions. So there is no reason why someone who hadn't passed any grade exams and hadn't studied music at university or college shouldn't play music for their job. Now when you know this, what does that tell you about the importance of grade exams?
Reply 18
Original post by draghm
Well what does a GCSE in music lead to? It leads to A level music. But it doesn't lead to a career in music.

I didn't want to be harsh or bossy I just wanted you to understand that spending lots of money on grade exams doesn't really help you to get further on with music studies.

Here is another question. What does the exam board get from people taking all these exams?

The other thing that you need to know to complete the picture is that there is no actual exam qualification for being a professional musician in the UK. You get to be a professional musician if you pass auditions. So there is no reason why someone who hadn't passed any grade exams and hadn't studied music at university or college shouldn't play music for their job. Now when you know this, what does that tell you about the importance of grade exams?

So you would say GCSE Music is not a music qualification then? (I just want to confirm - I admit I'm not always good at interpreting things on the internet)

I know what you're saying for the rest. The exam boards get money. Obviously though, if someone wants to do the grade exams for personal gain (a sense of achievement with their instrument or whatever) then I say go for it. It would be important to me to get the grade exams. It would also be important for me if I decide to go onto a-level music, because, like a GCSE in Music, grade exams can lead to a-level music if there is no gcse
Reply 19
Original post by draghm

Just wanted to respond to this bit too. I think I have solved the mystery of why I've been misunderstanding you. When you say that a grade qualification cannot be used to get into a music career, you were thinking directly right? Hence you're words "on its own". You were thinking like this: Grade exam ---> Music career = not possible. But I was thinking like this: Grade exam ---> A-Level Music ---> Music degree ---> Possible music career. Do you know what I'm saying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending