The Student Room Group

Bristol UWE Illustration Interview

Hi everyone, I was wondering who else is interviewing for UWE's illustration course and also if any current students could help me out by giving some interview tips?
What can I expect to happen? I really really want to go here so I want to make sure I know as much as I can. What sort of things do they like to see in a portfolio etc?

Thank you!
Reply 1
I Have an interview on Tuesday next week... I was looking for some stuff too but can't find anything! quite nervous!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, I'm also interviewing there next friday and i'd find it really helpful to compare portfolio pieces perhaps? If this sounds good i'm willing to share, would help me better understand the level of talent heading for Bristol as i'm quite uncertain about the whole thing :/. I'm afraid I can't offer any interview advice really although I do know that theres a selection process involved that apparently means having portfolio's viewed by the staff without our presence as we get a tour then we get called back and told if we'll be interviewed or not, sounds pretty horrible haha.
Reply 3
Original post by Adamisonfire1
Hi, I'm also interviewing there next friday and i'd find it really helpful to compare portfolio pieces perhaps? If this sounds good i'm willing to share, would help me better understand the level of talent heading for Bristol as i'm quite uncertain about the whole thing :/. I'm afraid I can't offer any interview advice really although I do know that theres a selection process involved that apparently means having portfolio's viewed by the staff without our presence as we get a tour then we get called back and told if we'll be interviewed or not, sounds pretty horrible haha.

Hey! I had mine today & its quite scary cause they look at your work while you get a tour (I thought the facilities were fab!) and then when we came back we watched part of a movie while they finnished reviewing our work then told us if we were being interviewed! I haven't seen other peoples work but I think if you have a variety of skills you should be fine! They said its a two week wait to find out about places! Eeek! Good luck let me know how you go! :smile:
Thanks for the reply :smile:, let me know what you hear from them, hopefully you'll secure a place. Was the interview long? Any tough questions?
Reply 5
No worries! :smile: umm not really just the usual why this uni/course! and yea will do! they said about two weeks! scared though cause its my top choice! where else have you applied? by the way the printing facilities are amazing! I loved it there!
I had to cancel and reschedule my interview due to the recent weather but UWE were quick to supply an alternative date for me, I'll now be being interviewed on April 2nd. I've applied to Huddersfield and got an unconditional, I'm also applying to Bournemouth and Plymouth where I also have interviews. Do you have deviantart?
Reply 7
Ahhh damn! Thats annoying! But at least its fairly soon! I was hoping to know by then, but if they are still interviewing then there is no chance of that :frown: ahh thats cool! I just applied to Gloucster and got an unconditional & tk Bath Spa for the Graph comm course- they said you could emphasise on illustration in the second year but they weren't very welcoming! Wheres your top choice? And no i don't :P
I suppose my top choice would be Bristol, mostly because I love the idea of living in a big music city with lots to do. Did you also do the task that was set for the interview? I did it but now that i've got more time I may redo one of the pieces in it. I reckon if a course offers an emphasis on illustration rather than any illustration specific teaching then it might not be too great to study just illustration, good for graphics etc. maybe.
Reply 9
Yea same here!! Really hope i get an offer!! And yea i did, i did mine on moving from Scotland to somerset, umm the out doors & passing my driving test haha! Would of re-done the driving one lookin back but i was stuck for a third idea! I would of re-done mine! And yea i think it was more graphic illustration which isn't what i'm really into! But oh well! I loved UWE have you looked around before? Its pretty cool! Nice campus & the accomodaion suited for Bower Ashton students is in the center of Bristol which is ideal! So scared for the next ucas track email!!
Hey I heard from Bristol and got an unconditional offer, have you heard back yet? It only took them 2 days not the 2 weeks I though it would to reply.
Reply 11
I got an unconditional too! Ahh thats sick!! You must of been the last interview then! Mine was on the 2nd day of interviews! Just wanna get my accomm sorted! Buzzing to live in bristol!!
Haha same, yeah they told me I was second to last. It's definitely the most expensive option of the uni's I've applied to, maintenance loan won't cover accommodation where it would elsewhere etc. Are you applying for any particular accommodation such as Marketgate?
Reply 13
Ahhh thats alright then!! I was second days! And yea me too but Brisol is sick! Depends what your after! My loan is only £3,575 so it doesn't cover anything!! But yea I have applied! Wanna be in bris! Its amazing! Where else did you apply? :smile:
Reply 14
Oh i put Marketgate 1st, student village 2nd, Carrol court 3rd and one lf the other town ones, can't remember man!

Quick Reply

Latest