The Student Room Group

Electronic Cigarettes... what do you think?

Hi all :smile:

Read this interesting article this morning, just wondering what you think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21406540

My personal views on the matter are that while people should be free to use these as they are free to use real cigarettes, some restrictions should be put on their advertisement to prevent younger people from moving onto real cigarettes without being aware of the risks if that makes sense. I also am not particularly keen on the idea of the selling of a drug, no matter how harmful or harmless it is, if it is addictive, which, I may be wrong here, Nicotine is is it not? Which is I myself will probably never even start using these things either.

EDIT: Furthermore actually, since we do not know if they are entirely safe yet, I reiterate my argument about restrictions placed on advertising and sale until we know one way or another.

Anyway, what do you think?
(edited 11 years ago)
I think that a group with shares in GSK (the people who make nicotine replacement patches and gum) should not be trusted to give "independent advice" on a competing product and the BMA using them as their primary source of information makes the entire group untrustworthy. Not a huge Farage fan but i think his statement:

"That the BMA is prepared to either lie, or maybe even worse be incompetent is just clear evidence that they are not to be trusted in public."

Is very accurate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
One problem that will be reduced is that of cigarette litter.

Which is good.
Reply 3
It certainly seems better than smoking real cigarettes. They must also reduce a lot of clutter for smokers too - I remember seeing that one tube is equivalent to 40 cigarettes, so people won't have to carry several packets with them.

In terms of selling to minors? Well, there is obviously a stigma against children smoking, but they suggest that niccotine is a similar drug to caffeine. It's not my place to say, but it seems less harmful, so the old rules might not apply.

Provided it's properly regulated and the chemicals/manufacturing method used is okay, I think they're better for everyone. It will be odd walking through a town and not smelling smoke though.
Kind of a big fan, helped my dad quit really well.
Reply 5
Anothe way of the government gaining more tax but also doesn't really work if you are a smoker. Trust me I know becuase I have tried them, So many problems like leaking E cigs refilling not getting your 'full moneys worth' but hmm who knows diffrent people diffrent things work for them so it is down to preference to whether you want the nicotine quickly, or just like the comfort of a ciggarette
I see absolutely no problem with them. But I would like to see regulations, and further research into effects. As I would like to see with caffeine.

With the problems of second hand smoke rendered naught, I see no problem with smoking them in public places. But I would argue that it should be up to the particular establishment to decide whether they can be smoked indoors.

However, the comparison to caffeine is an interesting one. I personally, found caffeine addiction and withdrawal far more painful and severe than nicotine addiction.
They have called for the ban on smoking in public places to be extended to e-cigarettes."

They can bugger off - they have no valid argument for banning them in public. There is no smell, no litter, no smoke, no second hand smoke - nothing.

Original post by abdi95
Anothe way of the government gaining more tax but also doesn't really work if you are a smoker. Trust me I know becuase I have tried them, So many problems like leaking E cigs refilling not getting your 'full moneys worth' but hmm who knows diffrent people diffrent things work for them so it is down to preference to whether you want the nicotine quickly, or just like the comfort of a ciggarette

Ive been using them for a year, at first to quit and then after a death in the family as a crutch rather than hitting the real ones.

Id tried quitting real cigarettes before and this is the only thing thats kept me off them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending