The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awilson008
I'm not getting annoyed at any one else, please inform me where you seem to be gathering this assumption. My parents don't have the means to support me through an extremely expensive education, they are just above the threshold for a higher tax bracket, so most of their money doesn't see the light of day. They do not squander their money.

I don't see how giving a large sum of money to someone with a household income just below a certain value whilst those just above it get nothing is fair. Actually it's extremely stupid. Stop making assumptions about how my parents handle their money.

Even if half their money does actually go to the Tax man, then that still leaves plenty enough to afford a good lifestyle and pay for your education. I'm presuming since you're in N.I your parents aren't actually earning above 45K, so therefore you will be eligible for Loans and grants, just not the full amount. You can get 5.5K (3.5K if they earn over 75k) in loans and this combined with a part-time job and Uni bursary should be enough.
Just over 34,000 is the 40% tax bracket.

And yes, just noticed it now through all of these posts. Of course that would work to some extent, but I have reduced the amount that I cost them by a bit through not getting in to any expensive ventures. I doubt that the amount they currently provide me with would be enough to keep me going throughout the year. I currently cost my parents nothing for transport, but this will cost a huge amount if I go to uni. I buy new clothes every 1/2 year or something too so I don't ask for much.

But you only pay higher rate tax on the amount of salary you earn over the threshold...

If you are £2,000 over the higher rate threshold, you pay 40% tax on that £2,000. Not on the entire salary.
Just over 34,000 is the 40% tax bracket.

And yes, just noticed it now through all of these posts. Of course that would work to some extent, but I have reduced the amount that I cost them by a bit through not getting in to any expensive ventures. I doubt that the amount they currently provide me with would be enough to keep me going throughout the year. I currently cost my parents nothing for transport, but this will cost a huge amount if I go to uni. I buy new clothes every 1/2 year or something too so I don't ask for much.

Actually it is 34000+8000 (the allowance) and the 40% is only payable for the money over that

As I said in my first post I do sympathise ... as a parent I am in a very similar situation ... we have some savings towards this and are contributing the money she currently costs but it is certainly not as easy as the government seems to think
Original post by iGCSE lover
yeah yeah.. did you see my age? lol.. yeah.. look at my last few posts about accomodation :smile:

Yeah, I know. Now I feel old! 13 was five years ago for me, what the heck happened?! I turned 18 a month and a half ago, still wrapping my head round it. It's weird. :lol: Any idea what you want to do at uni?
Reply 64
Something that keeps coming up on this thread is people saying their parents don't have the money because it goes to mortgages, food, multiple children, running cars etc etc. Has it occurred to you that it's not just you who has to pay these things? Yeah ok you earn more money but you don't really have any spare because it gets spent on these things. Do you think people who earn less are any different? They have the same burdens but less money to cope with it.
Original post by alleysee
In all honesty, i don't know what the purpose of this thread is apart from complain about the injustice upon you. If you are looking for advice then people have already given it to you...
If you are dedicated and motivated enough to study medicine at university you surely can overcome the obstacles.

If you take out a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan then that will allow your fees and probably accommodation costs to just be covered. The only money you'll need to find is for smaller living costs i.e. food, clothes etc. The only way to get around this is to get a part-time job. Its what a lot of students have to do. And im sure if you called your parents up starving they'd send you a tiny bit of cash to help you out at hard times. Like someone else said, they will probably be saving a bit of money by not having you there.

There are no other ways, no miracles, no guardian angel that will come down and give you the money you need to make it easy. People struggle in life but if its really what you want to do then be prepared to make a few sacrifices and work for it. It will be worth it in the end surely.

Of course the thread is a mixture of complaining and wanting advice. Surely that's what half of what the studentroom threads are.

My parents would try to help me in any way they can, but I'm not gonna' make them go in to serious money trouble by taking 3 grand off them a year. Of course I will consider getting a part time job, however I have struggled with stress and burn out before and there is no worse nightmare than having to drop out of medical school because I worked too much in my local spar.

I will try to make it work, sure I will, but I won't be surprised if it's just not possible. I'm not trying to get some miracle out of making this thread. It's just a forum...
Original post by ellieHA
Something that keeps coming up on this thread is people saying their parents don't have the money because it goes to mortgages, food, multiple children, running cars etc etc. Has it occurred to you that it's not just you who has to pay these things? Yeah ok you earn more money but you don't really have any spare because it gets spent on these things. Do you think people who earn less are any different? They have the same burdens but less money to cope with it.

Yes, but then their children get additional money for the government ... that was the point
Okay so I want to go to uni next year to do medicine, but I can't afford the living costs.

My household income is above the threshold for any grants or financial support, but my parents just don't have the money to give me to allow me to survive at university.

Okay so you may say, 'why not save up'? Well to be honest university wasn't really on my mind as a teenager, and there just isn't enough time to save up now. I do have a job.

Of course I would consider getting a job while away at uni, but studying from 9-5 on top of doing extra work is not possible while having a job, unless I don't sleep and have to survive without any form of social life.

Any other people in my position? My parents aren't poor enough to get me any grants and they aren't rich enough to provide for me, so I'm pretty stuck. It really annoys me how those living off EMA to pay for their summer holidays can go to university while I can do neither of those things.

yup :frown: I had to take a gap year and work. Not fair at all.
Of course I would consider getting a job while away at uni, but studying from 9-5 on top of doing extra work is not possible while having a job, unless I don't sleep and have to survive without any form of social life.

Tad bit dramatic. First off unless you're going to a uni that say's you can't work- ie oxford- then there is no reason why you can't, especially in the first two years. Secondly, what type of course is it, if its pbl then its never going to be 9-5 in lessons. Why can't you work nights in a care home? One twelve hour night shift a week at £6.30 ph would give you £75. You could go bank at the nearest hospital, when you have less time in later years, and the first 2 years you should get decent summer breaks to work and save. Plus if you're that desperate you could always defer and work a year first. Why can't you're parents continue to give you whatever they are spending on you at home?
What's all this reference to grants, and being "given" money by the government? It's mainly a great big loan, with a wonderfully low interest rate and generous repayment structure.
Probably 3500 for accommodation MINIMUM (probably more). 3500 is provided by the basic maintainence loan which is okay. But I'd need another 2.5-3k to live.

The pretty similar to my accommodation costs, I cant really offer any new ideas apart from carry on your job on a gap year.

I do sympathise with your situation as I am just managing to stay afloat, I saved up £3000 working after year 11. I spend £20 a week on food and tastes like garbarge but I digress.
Original post by ellieHA

But some of them don't. They live in a basically free council house, with all their bills paid for, and collect their free money from the government every month. Those who do have a job may still have lower bills. People argue that it's somehow 'rich' people's decision to pay huge bills and have houses with larger mortgages - sometimes their situation has changed, they no longer have quite as well paid a job (the UK's just been through a recession after all), perhaps they are getting older and struggling to work. However, because they earnt a lot of money in the previous year their kids can not get the same support from the government at uni than those kids from council house backgrounds. Which simply isn't fair - people are in all different situations, and as the government can't really deal with them all on a case-by-case basis we have ended up with the system we have now.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
What's all this reference to grants, and being "given" money by the government? It's mainly a great big loan, with a wonderfully low interest rate and generous repayment structure.

The point is

High income parents = loan (capped at an amount that does not enable access)

Low income parents = loan + grant(not repayable) = amount that does enable access
(edited 11 years ago)
Many universities will give you help when you are there if you apply for hardship grants etc. If you havve offers already, have a look to see if this is an option...or for medicine, I think the army have a scholarship programme which may help (I think you have to spend 2 years or so serving as a medical doctor after training, but it might be worth it)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Yeah, I know. Now I feel old! 13 was five years ago for me, what the heck happened?! I turned 18 a month and a half ago, still wrapping my head round it. It's weird. :lol: Any idea what you want to do at uni?

when you where 13.. i was 8..
Lol.. naa don't feel old. You are in the best time of your life! 18-25. Go out meeting girls, go trips.. I'm not a fan of beer.. absolute horrible.. But if you like it than go ahead!! =)
Reply 75
Of course the thread is a mixture of complaining and wanting advice. Surely that's what half of what the studentroom threads are.

My parents would try to help me in any way they can, but I'm not gonna' make them go in to serious money trouble by taking 3 grand off them a year. Of course I will consider getting a part time job, however I have struggled with stress and burn out before and there is no worse nightmare than having to drop out of medical school because I worked too much in my local spar.

I will try to make it work, sure I will, but I won't be surprised if it's just not possible. I'm not trying to get some miracle out of making this thread. It's just a forum...

I think if i was actually looking for a meaningful answer to my problem this isn't where id voice it, id be speaking to my parents... career advisor... friends etc. Its very much about the complaining more than advice that you were looking for, the title in itself provokes a reaction.

If you're going into it with a negative attitude that you're not going to cope then you wont. Budget your time and money, leaving some time for yourself to relax and have fun so you wont be stressed out. It really is doable. You don't need a forum to tell you that.
Reply 76

Why don't you try and make cutbacks when you are at uni? just try and cut down on just about everything, and with a part time job and some money that your parents could provide you with im sure you'll do more than survive, youll just have to face that you cant go out as much as other students. dunno why everyone is complaining at OP in this thread lol some kids get mad easy...
I like how some people assume that just because a family earns over the threshold for grants that they must also live some luxurious, middle class lifestyle, with two cars and holidays every year.

Debt exists, unfortunately.
Original post by TenOfThem
The point is

High income parents = loan (capped at an amount that does not allow access)

Low income parents = loan + grant(not repayable) = amount that does allow access

But mostly it is: low income parents= bigger loan +/- grant.

They don't just throw free money at you because you're poor.
guys what on earth is OP?!!?! heard it everywhere on this and other forums.. what does it mean?

Latest

Trending

Trending