The Student Room Group

Majestic Wine job

Hey guys,

I have an interview very soon for a trainee manager position at Majestic Wine; I was wondering if anyone has been through this themselves and would be so kind as to shed some light on what it's like, what's involved etc.

Thanks in advance.
I applied last year (I may again this year if my job prospects are bleak), and I managed to get through to their regional manager interview (One step below the ass centre) before I was rejected for 'not understanding the business (!?)'. Anyway, if it's like mine, you'll have to go to their head office in Watford, sit in the reception and then taken upstairs for the interview.

In fairness, the lady was nice and the questions were the usual questions which you would expect at any interview for retail, just with the added twist about Wine, it's fairly simple.

The regional manager interview was also undertaken at the head office with, and asked similar questions but with more depth, and more questions about retail, the company and wine, the courses you may go on and so on..

The pay isn't that fantastic, for what you will be doing (I visited a store beforehand). You'll be basically a trainee manager/sales assistant/wine taster/shelf stacker, in fact any role in a retail store you can think of, that's what you'll be doing.
Reply 2
Original post by Mister_Whippy
I applied last year (I may again this year if my job prospects are bleak), and I managed to get through to their regional manager interview (One step below the ass centre) before I was rejected for 'not understanding the business (!?)'. Anyway, if it's like mine, you'll have to go to their head office in Watford, sit in the reception and then taken upstairs for the interview.

In fairness, the lady was nice and the questions were the usual questions which you would expect at any interview for retail, just with the added twist about Wine, it's fairly simple.

The regional manager interview was also undertaken at the head office with, and asked similar questions but with more depth, and more questions about retail, the company and wine, the courses you may go on and so on..

The pay isn't that fantastic, for what you will be doing (I visited a store beforehand). You'll be basically a trainee manager/sales assistant/wine taster/shelf stacker, in fact any role in a retail store you can think of, that's what you'll be doing.

Thanks for your help.
My interview isn't at the head office because myself and the store to which I've applied are in the south west. So Majestic have set up the interview to take place in another branch and with the store manager of that branch - this is approx. an hour or so from where I live.
I am slightly confused however, as when I applied for the job (a few weeks ago) I was contacted straight away inviting me to this interview (as described above) which takes place next week. I haven't heard about the possibility of a second interview/stage - and the job specifically stated that the job is a 'February start' and as the first interview is next week, I'm wondering if there will be a second stage/interview i.e. after this interview next week there'll only be one week left of February!
Does that make sense?

How prepared would you say you were for the interview(s)? How did you prepare?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lawgrad2012
Thanks for your help.
My interview isn't at the head office because myself and the store to which I've applied are in the south west. So Majestic have set up the interview to take place in another branch and with the store manager of that branch - this is approx. an hour or so from where I live.
I am slightly confused however, as when I applied for the job (a few weeks ago) I was contacted straight away inviting me to this interview (as described above) which takes place next week. I haven't heard about the possibility of a second interview/stage - and the job specifically stated that the job is a 'February start' and as the first interview is next week, I'm wondering if there will be a second stage/interview i.e. after this interview next week there'll only be one week left of February!
Does that make sense?

How prepared would you say you were for the interview(s)? How did you prepare?

Thanks in advance.

Ahh, so it's slightly different, but still the same as such.

I applied for a job which was a few months down the line, so there was a longer period between applying and the job starting.

I would hazard a guess as you're meeting the store manager that will be it and you'd be working in that particular store.

I was as prepared as much as you can, I just take any interview as the same and prepare the usual questions which will get asked.
Reply 4
Original post by Mister_Whippy
Ahh, so it's slightly different, but still the same as such.

I applied for a job which was a few months down the line, so there was a longer period between applying and the job starting.

I would hazard a guess as you're meeting the store manager that will be it and you'd be working in that particular store.

I was as prepared as much as you can, I just take any interview as the same and prepare the usual questions which will get asked.

Cool - thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 5
Hey just to say that I've done the first interview (with a store manager) and have been invited to a second interview (with a regional manager) - so you were right despite the job making it clear the role was for a February start!

In the first interview I was asked fairly general stuff e.g. what makes good customer service? etc. And also asked to 'sell' them a bottle of wine.
What kind of questions will I be asked in the second interview?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 6
Any help as to exactly what types of questions will be asked in the second interview (i.e. interview with a regional manager) will be truly appreciated.

Any help as to exactly what types of questions will be asked in the second interview (i.e. interview with a regional manager) will be truly appreciated.

Sorry, only just saw this. To be honest, it'll be more about the role, the company and what you're expected to do and expecting from the role. Just be yourself like you were for the first interview and expect harder, more intense questions.
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey that's ok - I had my second interview yesterday and I've been offered the job :smile:
Thanks for your help.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey that's ok - I had my second interview yesterday and I've been offered the job :smile:
Thanks for your help.

Congrats
Hey I have a second interview with Majestic Wines tomorrow. My situation is very similar to yours, I did not have my first interview at the headquarters in Watford but at a local store to me. My second interview takes place in a different local store. My first interview went really well, they were really friendly and I felt very comfortable. I also had to sell a bottle of wine in my first interview. What can I expect in the second interview?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Did you get the job? I've been offered a first interview but will have to get a bit of trouble with my work now as they've only given me a week's notice so it's unlikely I can get the day off legitimately. If you got the job, what is it like hours wise etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending