The Student Room Group

Acting course after university?

I am currently in my first year at my sixth form college, and studying biology which I originally planned to read at university. But I've recently had a change of heart. I've decided that I'd really like to go into acting, which I really love ('you only live once' etc.). One idea was to go ahead and study biology at university, and while I'm there I could join a drama society to get some more experience and practise. Once I leave, I could then apply to a drama school and (hopefully) try to get a BA in acting, or something similar, which would be a great stepping stone. Studying biology first would give me a 'cushion' so that I have something to fall back on if, for whatever reason, the acting idea doesn't work out.
Is this a good idea? If it isn't and completely insane, has anybody got any advice?
If it is ok, I'm also not sure if it would work financially. I've recently learnt quite a bit about the finances of going to university, such as student loans, and I believe similar things are necessary when going to do a BA in acting. However, can you get the same grants and loans from the government twice? Would you end up paying back double the 9% of the excess when earning over £21,000? Does anybody know?
Also, this is my first post on this site, so if I have done something wrong, sorry and please tell me.
Hello!
Doing 2 BA's is an expensive option as the government will only fund you for 4 years of study so if you do decide to do the biology degree you're probably better off financially to do an MA at drama school after not a BA, not all drama schools offer MA and not all of the are accredited but if you research there are some good ones out there.
Also, in terms of drama societies, Cambridge has the best drama soc in the country 'Footlights' and many actors have become famous and successful through this program.. Emma Thompson, Eddie Redmayne. However some uni drama soc's aren't very good at all.
Whatever you do, if you want to be an actor you need to make sure you are always doing it so you don't get out of practice, but also don't just do biology as your safe choice, do it because you love it. A degree is a big commitment and if you really want to act, why not try for a BA at drama school strait away.
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by rubymay1993
Hello!
Doing 2 BA's is an expensive option as the government will only fund you for 4 years of study so if you do decide to do the biology degree you're probably better off financially to do an MA at drama school after not a BA, not all drama schools offer MA and not all of the are accredited but if you research there are some good ones out there.
Also, in terms of drama societies, Cambridge has the best drama soc in the country 'Footlights' and many actors have become famous and successful through this program.. Emma Thompson, Eddie Redmayne. However some uni drama soc's aren't very good at all.
Whatever you do, if you want to be an actor you need to make sure you are always doing it so you don't get out of practice, but also don't just do biology as your safe choice, do it because you love it. A degree is a big commitment and if you really want to act, why not try for a BA at drama school strait away.
Hope this helps!

Does anyone know if the old rule of thumb still applies to acting? This used to be something like if you hadn't had several acting jobs by the time you were 18 you probably won't get any work.
Original post by draghm
Does anyone know if the old rule of thumb still applies to acting? This used to be something like if you hadn't had several acting jobs by the time you were 18 you probably won't get any work.

It does help to have previous experience but many people go to drama school with no experience, they get excepted because the school see something special in them and if you go to drama school you are very likely to get an agent and therefor very likely to get work. But even if don't go to drama school you still have a chance, many people don't start professionally acting until they're a lot older like 30s and 40s and have very successful careers.
Reply 4
Thank you that is helpful. I do still love biology, I'm just at that stage where I'm not certain what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.
Also that's great news as I am considering applying to Cambridge. I even had a trip to Gonville and cauis college today to see what it was like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It does help to have previous experience but many people go to drama school with no experience, they get excepted because the school see something special in them and if you go to drama school you are very likely to get an agent and therefor very likely to get work. But even if don't go to drama school you still have a chance, many people don't start professionally acting until they're a lot older like 30s and 40s and have very successful careers.

So the people who don't start acting until they are older, how do they earn money before they start acting? Do they just get any job?
Original post by draghm
So the people who don't start acting until they are older, how do they earn money before they start acting? Do they just get any job?

Generally they do something else, for example Alan Rickman was a graphic designer before he became an actor.

To be honest even if you are a professional actor you're probably going to have another job to pay the bills in between acting jobs because acting is hard and you will often be out of work and theatre acting doesn't pay a huge amount.
Reply 7
Hello!
Hope this helps!

I really like the idea of applying to drama school straight after sixth form, but the problem is is that I haven't done much acting recently, and so I'm not sure if I can get enough practise before I need to audition to ensure me with a chance of getting in :/
Also, will applying to drama schools take up any of my five possible ucas applications?
Original post by Snakehipz
I really like the idea of applying to drama school straight after sixth form, but the problem is is that I haven't done much acting recently, and so I'm not sure if I can get enough practise before I need to audition to ensure me with a chance of getting in :/
Also, will applying to drama schools take up any of my five possible ucas applications?

Generally at drama school they like the candidates to be a little older and have more 'life experience' my suggestion would be to take a year or two out and get some more acting experience. Apply for places like the National Youth Theatre and try and get experience in something like singing, dancing, music.. anything like that as well as not performance related stuff. I've found that my downfall has been not doing anything else that isn't performance related as a hobby.
Also, when applying to drama school you need to make sure you have a backup plan for the year if you don't get in, for example doing an HNP course, or applying to foundation courses at drama school.
Some drama schools go through ucas, some don't so it depends where you want to apply.
Reply 9
Generally at drama school they like the candidates to be a little older and have more 'life experience' my suggestion would be to take a year or two out and get some more acting experience. Apply for places like the National Youth Theatre and try and get experience in something like singing, dancing, music.. anything like that as well as not performance related stuff. I've found that my downfall has been not doing anything else that isn't performance related as a hobby.
Also, when applying to drama school you need to make sure you have a backup plan for the year if you don't get in, for example doing an HNP course, or applying to foundation courses at drama school.
Some drama schools go through ucas, some don't so it depends where you want to apply.

I've heard a bit about the National Youth Theatre and it sounds like a great idea. How difficult is it to get into?
I've heard a bit about the National Youth Theatre and it sounds like a great idea. How difficult is it to get into?

its pretty hard to get into, they have auditions all aross the country but its not as hard to get into as drama school as they offer more places.
if you get accepted you do a 2 week summer school.
Reply 11
its pretty hard to get into, they have auditions all aross the country but its not as hard to get into as drama school as they offer more places.
if you get accepted you do a 2 week summer school.

Ok thanks :smile: Do you know how many people actually apply to NYT each year, so I have an idea what I'd be up against if I did apply?
Ok thanks :smile: Do you know how many people actually apply to NYT each year, so I have an idea what I'd be up against if I did apply?

4000 people apply for 500 places

Hey! So you want to be an actor? Have you had a lot of experience? It seems like such an amazing career (if you happen to get somewhere) and I say go for it but I encourage you to give it a little more thought too! I'm in my 2nd year at sixth form college and I have been auditioning at 5 institutes throughout the UK, consisting of 2 universities (West London and Cumbria), and 3 drama schools (Guildford school of acting, Central School of Speech and Drama, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland). I have to tell you this alone has been really expensive just for the audition process, taking into consideration travel to different places and accommodation and food etc. So if you are considering applying for any course then you really need to prepare for your audition. That means gathering a small repertoire of songs, monologues and even some choreography.

I'm lucky enough to be accepted from a few places in my first year and I will be attending the Guildford School of Acting (GSA) next year, and I tell you it has been extremely hard work. Constant working, learning and being tired all the time! I also applied for Youth Music Theatre this year which is similar to National Youth Theatre. I didnt get in NYT but I got a place this year for YMT and I strongly encourage you to start acting again, or at least when you go to university for Biology that you continue performing because it really is a hard industry. Also, if you are only an actor, I still encourage you to pick up singing lessons etc because this will make you a more versatile performer.

I hope some of this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest