The Student Room Group
Library, Newman University
Birmingham Newman University
Birmingham

Newman University!

I've applied to study Business (Sustainability and Ethics) at Newman Uni in Birmingham.. has anyone else?
I've never been to Birmingham before either so I was wondering if anyone could let me know what it is like? I'm from Hull.
Any information would be a great help because never in a million years did I expect myself to be hoping to go to uni.. I'm SUPER nervous!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rebeccasarahxx
I've applied to study Business (Sustainability and Ethics) at Newman Uni in Birmingham.. has anyone else?
I've never been to Birmingham before either so I was wondering if anyone could let me know what it is like? I'm from Hull.
Any information would be a great help because never in a million years did I expect myself to be hoping to go to uni.. I'm SUPER nervous!

Friends of mine said their freshers events are really welcoming and a laugh.

Birmingham as a whole has everything, what would you like to know specifically?
Library, Newman University
Birmingham Newman University
Birmingham
Original post by Nvmthename
Friends of mine said their freshers events are really welcoming and a laugh.

Birmingham as a whole has everything, what would you like to know specifically?

Urm, what the community are like really :-) And the course, if anyone knows!
Urm, what the community are like really :-) And the course, if anyone knows!

Have you ever seen metropolis? Birmingham is essentially like that, so much diversity with a lot of clash in terms of culture and class.

Nightlife is the same, there are a lot of different quaters and scenes in the city centre, but also surrounding areas liks mosely and solihull.
All are generally entertaining in their own respect but as expected student nights host most of the prats but thats easily avoidable :biggrin: you can spot the stumbling trouble making chavs / wannabe indie kids a mile away.
Original post by Nvmthename
Have you ever seen metropolis? Birmingham is essentially like that, so much diversity with a lot of clash in terms of culture and class.

Nightlife is the same, there are a lot of different quaters and scenes in the city centre, but also surrounding areas liks mosely and solihull.
All are generally entertaining in their own respect but as expected student nights host most of the prats but thats easily avoidable :biggrin: you can spot the stumbling trouble making chavs / wannabe indie kids a mile away.

I've never seen Metropolis, but maybe I shall watch it :-)
That is good to hear, because where I live there arent many places I like going out! Thanks for the helpful info :-)
You know anything about Bath? Cos I've applied there too!
I've never seen Metropolis, but maybe I shall watch it :-)
That is good to hear, because where I live there arent many places I like going out! Thanks for the helpful info :-)
You know anything about Bath? Cos I've applied there too!

Its a silent black and white film i was forced to watch :tongue: i wouldnt recommend
I've applied to do psychology at newman
Reply 7
is anyone studying working with children, young people and families at Newmans in September?
I'm studying psychology at Newman Uni, starting in September! Cannot wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm doing applied psychology too. You living in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm going Newman this september to study English and philosophy Can't wait ! Can anyone tell me about the surrounding place ? Looking forward to it !
Peace
Reply 11
Hey Guys,

I'm Jess, a 3rd year Counselling and IT student and Newman and your Students' Union Academic officer.

B Green? Small, not too busy, has a few shops, a doctors, a dentist. There's a bus that can take you to pretty much anything you need.

As for Newman, as you may know we're a small uni, and we're quite the community.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, someone will have the answers for you :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks for the message .. I have a quick question ..where is the closest supermarket ? Thanks
Reply 13
Sainsburys Northfield. However, its a bus journey away, in which case, Morrison on five ways is just as close. Asda on the 002 however is the easiest access on the bus as the bus is less busy and stops right outside. If your living in halls Asda delivers to uni
I've been there to visit with a friend who's about to graduate from there now and it seems like a small University, so most people will probably recognise each other and the campus did not seem like a typical University campus. It wasn't gloomy like say the Birmingham City University Perry Barr campus, it had a lot of greenery outside and it seemed like a college almost in terms of how small it was and the atmosphere.

Put it this way, it's a small place. Quite expensive food compared to the inner city Universities. Close-knit sorta place.
Reply 15
Hi guys I just finished my first year at Newman, studying English, so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask :smile:

It's also worth mentioning, if anyone needs more information about Newman university please make sure to check out our newman Newbies facebook page. It is constantly regulated by both staff and current students so you will find plenty of info on there. You will also find links to blogs which are written by current students, this will give you a more insight into university life.

link: https://www.facebook.com/newmannewbies?fref=ts

Tahne
Reply 16
I have a question for you :smile:
I am going this year to study English and philosophy .. I was wondering how the tutors are in English.. honest opinion would be great. . Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by wisey9
I have a question for you :smile:
I am going this year to study English and philosophy .. I was wondering how the tutors are in English.. honest opinion would be great. . Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest with you I think all the English lecturers are great. I was actually quite surprised, before I started uni I always had the idea the university lecturers were quite strict, but I soon realised that they are all very friendly and actually have a really good sense of humour! Their very passionate about their subject so they lecture in a really fun and clear way. I always felt I was able to speak to them even outside of lectures, so their very approachable and eager to help.

:flower2:

Tahne
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18

Have you looked at the other universities in Birmingham other than Newman for business? I live in Birmingham and I am applying for uni here too. I was originally going to do business at uni, but not anymore (Sociology instead) Newman is good university because it is small, but the business courses aren't that varied. BCU have a range of business courses and they are of similar entry requirements, plus they do a work placement year. Birmingham and Aston have much higher grade requirements, but Birmingham have an A2B scheme, where if your family income is under £42,000 and your parents have never been uni before one grade from the requirements can be lowered.

Overal Birmingham is a really good city, nightlife is great and so is the shopping facilities. Another advantage is that it is not a really big city
Original post by coleleigh7
I'm doing applied psychology too. You living in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing psychology but living at home! Where are you from?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending