The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York - flexible?

If I went to York, and realised I hated the course I was doing (English lit. with linguistics) and asked to swap to another course (such as English lit. on its own, or with philosophy) do you think they'd let me? Or what if I phoned them up now, and asked if it was possible to change the course i applied for, do you think they'd do that? I'm just really worried that I might end up not liking linguistics, which I had somehow taken a fancy to in the prospectus, when I was filling out my ucas applications.
Actually, Durham is where I thought I really wanted to go (and still do really), but all the stuff on these message boards has made me unsure about it. People here all seem to feel York is better than Durham... I know it's silly to be so easily influenced, but you lot probably know more about it than I do. Someone even said that Exeter was better than Durham, which I hadn't really given any thought to at all, and now I'm even beginning to think that maybe I should put that down as my first choice, instead of Durham....what a dilemma - trilemma even!
I wish this wasn't all so confusing - is anyone else having difficulties choosing between these three unis?
Reply 1
shilling
If I went to York, and realised I hated the course I was doing (English lit. with linguistics) and asked to swap to another course (such as English lit. on its own, or with philosophy) do you think they'd let me? Or what if I phoned them up now, and asked if it was possible to change the course i applied for, do you think they'd do that? I'm just really worried that I might end up not liking linguistics, which I had somehow taken a fancy to in the prospectus, when I was filling out my ucas applications.
Actually, Durham is where I thought I really wanted to go (and still do really), but all the stuff on these message boards has made me unsure about it. People here all seem to feel York is better than Durham... I know it's silly to be so easily influenced, but you lot probably know more about it than I do. Someone even said that Exeter was better than Durham, which I hadn't really given any thought to at all, and now I'm even beginning to think that maybe I should put that down as my first choice, instead of Durham....what a dilemma - trilemma even!
I wish this wasn't all so confusing - is anyone else having difficulties choosing between these three unis?

Have you been to Durham? If you've been and you like it and you really want to go there, then go! Don't let a bunch of people on a message board put you off!

As for York, have you tried emailing the admissions tutor to see what they'd say? It can't do any harm to ask!

Good luck :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
shilling

I think they're all good unis. Don't listen to people who slag off Durham, they don't know what they're talking about! I don't think it would be that difficult to change courses, I know people who have done it.
the only reason Exeter is better than Durham...is because im in Exeter and not durham due to A-level results...

dont be silly, i applied to Durham and York and had no problems at all in rejecting York and having Durham as my first (and Only) choice.

if you havnt been to Durham yet....go and look around, you'll love it.

at the end of the day, you'll leave this forum, your degree will be with you for life, so get the one you really want. if you want to walk down a street and be able to say " i have a degree from Durham" go there, if youd prefer ot say "i have a degree from York" go there.

love Katy ***
Reply 4
Thanks guys :smile:

Those were exactly the answers I wanted to hear ...*grin*.
I'm going to go and visit York and Durham in the Easter holidays, and I'll ask then about changing courses and so on. I think seeing the places will make choosing easier. I'm glad you don't think there's anything wrong with Durham though.

xxx
Reply 5
My best friend is doing philosophy and linguistics at York (I'm planning to do philosophy on its own)...he intends to change from linguistics to english or a language on its own. I think it's possible.
Reply 6
Adhsur
My best friend is doing philosophy and linguistics at York (I'm planning to do philosophy on its own)...he intends to change from linguistics to english or a language on its own. I think it's possible.

I wrote to them and asked. I got an email back acknowledging that they had received my email, but I haven't heard anything since. If they tell me I can't swap, it'll make my choice a heck of a lot easier...so I'm almost half hoping they won't let me. If they do let me, then I seriously will be stuck between Durham and York!!!
Reply 7
shilling
I wrote to them and asked. I got an email back acknowledging that they had received my email, but I haven't heard anything since. If they tell me I can't swap, it'll make my choice a heck of a lot easier...so I'm almost half hoping they won't let me. If they do let me, then I seriously will be stuck between Durham and York!!!

Come to York with me! lol.
Reply 8
shilling
If I went to York, and realised I hated the course I was doing (English lit. with linguistics) and asked to swap to another course (such as English lit. on its own, or with philosophy) do you think they'd let me?

I would expect so. It would depend on how much of the course you'd covered, I guess, so the earlier you decide the better.
Or, you might go and love the whole course, and wonder why you ever considered changing! *hopeful* :smile:

Latest