The Student Room Group

Has the Horse Meat scandal effected what food you buy and eat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusion
It worries me that criminal gangs are involved in tampering with the production line, there must be lots more revelations to come. I don't see why these gangs wouldn't end up seeing profit from pigeons, rats etc like they done with horses.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Fat Tony is using rats milk to give to school children instead.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Squeaky_Farms_Brand_Genuine_Animal_Milk

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
Tbf on the supermarkets, I don't think it's fair to blame them when it was the fault of their suppliers and as soon as they knew, they removed the offending products from the shelves.

It's like the whole Asda credit card thing. That was Sygma's fault,yet Asda got in trouble for it from the media.The supermarkets shouldn't be taking the blame here.

If this isn't a great example of incompetence and deceitfulness, I don't know what is.

Supermarkets are responsible for what is supplied and sold.

There was clearly no real communication between the supplier, the distributed and the seller.

Products were not tested.

Supermarkets confidently displayed the percentage of beef on products without being certain of its contents.

Without sounding too much of a conspiracist:

I think supermarkets were aware they were false advertising. I would even go as far as to say that the officials involved between the dealings of the supplier and seller encouraged the production of cheap horse meat (whether is was intended to have only small traces is anyone's guess). I think supermarkets are more concerned about making money and less concerned about the welfare of their customers.

I find it hard to believe that communication was so poor, that knowledge of some of the products they were selling were non-existent. They probably would have continued to such sell incorrect meats for a healthy profit had the scandal not been brought to the surface.
Original post by Iamyourfather
If this isn't a great example of incompetence and deceitfulness, I don't know what is.

There was clearly no real communication between the supplier, the distributed and the seller.

Supermarkets confidently displayed the percentage of beef on products without being certain of its contents.

I think supermarkets were aware they were false advertising. I would even go as far as to say that the officials involved between the dealings of the supplier and seller encouraged the production of cheap horse meat (whether is was intended to have only small traces is anyone's guess). I think supermarkets are more concerned about making money and less concerned about the welfare of their customers.

I find it hard to believe that communication was so poor, that knowledge of some of the products they were selling were non-existent. They probably would have continued to such sell incorrect meats for a healthy profit had the scandal not been brought to the surface.

OK. So say I own a sandwich shop. I get all my supplies from supplier x. They tell me that their sandwiches may be 100% beef, or whatever.

It turns out it's not 100% beef. I tell my customers it is, because my suppliers tell me it is. It is not my fault if the suppliers deceived me, and once I knew, I would either withdraw said products from the menu or say "product may also contain elements of y meat"
Reply 23
No, I shop at Morrisons who are completely horse meat free.

Morrisons is the best supermarket by far out of the Big 4. The food is so much nicer and fresher
Reply 24
No. Luckily I don't and won't ever find myself buying horse.
Original post by de_monies
OK. So say I own a sandwich shop. I get all my supplies from supplier x. They tell me that their sandwiches may be 100% beef, or whatever.

It turns out it's not 100% beef. I tell my customers it is, because my suppliers tell me it is. It is not my fault if the suppliers deceived me, and once I knew, I would either withdraw said products from the menu or say "product may also contain elements of y meat"

It wouldn't be your intention but it'd be partly your fault.

A smart and concerned boss catering to the needs of millions of customers wouldn't assume the content is 100% beef because the supplier 'said so'. Particularly if they're putting their brand on it and claiming it's '100% beef'. Putting your entire trust in somebody else, isn't a smart thing to do.

For confirmation, it's important to regularly test products out so they're accurately described and suitable for human consumption.
(edited 11 years ago)
I tend to buy my meat from local butchers, supermarkets can't be trusted.
Reply 27
Original post by Iamyourfather

Technically its a shared competence between corporate governance and the FSA.

The exporting country is supposed to have their FSA ensure that what they are exporting is what it says on the label and the supermarket is supposed to ensure that their supply chain meets their corporate governance objectives.

Original post by miser
No. Luckily I don't and won't ever find myself buying horse.

You sure, i don't know what they put in my coconut the other day. :tongue:

*eats tin of ASDA smartprice meatballs in tomato sauce*

...evidently not. BUT my meatballs are made of chicken, less likely horse would get into that as foreign chicken is cheap enough as it is.

However Sainsburys basics meatballs, pork & bacon...who knows.

Oh I have a tin of Tesco beef ravioli?! If there's horse in there...I don't actually care tbh. It was like 50p, I'm not expecting miracles here, as long as it's not actually harmful to me.
It's all a conspiracy. The carnivorous part of the population is now hooked on horse meat. That meat was from Romania. Hundreds of thousands of Romanians will flock to the UK in 2014. Coincidence? I think not. No doubt I'll be in custody within the hour, and they'll wipe away my identity from history, use this information and bring down the people responsible. God/Flying Spaghetti Monster bless.
Reply 30
Original post by Seanm1994
No. I shop at Waitrose and only ever buy fine cuts of beef.

One product was affected.
I'd buy my meat from a local butcher if there were any left; 15 years ago there were two within walking distance, now supermarkets are the only real choice, the nearest butchers are in town, either at the market or there are a few independent ones left - problem there is no one shops in town anymore.
Reply 32
The way i see it is, if people don't have a problem with eating a cow then why a horse?
The only problem I'd have is I'm paying for something I'm not actually getting.
Original post by Rakas21
One product was affected.

With Waitrose it was that pork had been found in the "beef meatballs" although it had been labeled wrong it's not really an issue like it is with everything else found with horse in it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
I'm veggie, and I don't entirely understand what all the fuss is all about..
If you couldn't tell the difference when eating the product and horse meat doesn't give you any disease then what's the problem?
The only bad thing I can see, which should go to court, is if the product doesn't say it contains horse meat.
Please do correct me if I'm wrong
:smile:
Reply 35
No.
Reply 36
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
With Waitrose it was that pork had been found in the "beef meatballs" although it had been labeled wrong it's not really an issue like it is with everything else found with horse in it.

It's just as bad really given that horse is no health threat.
I haven't really changed what I eat, but I went to the canteen at sixth form the other day and saw beef was part of the menu; there was something in the back of my mind questioning what I could trust to be beef now XD
Original post by Rakas21
Technically its a shared competence between corporate governance and the FSA.

The exporting country is supposed to have their FSA ensure that what they are exporting is what it says on the label and the supermarket is supposed to ensure that their supply chain meets their corporate governance objectives.

Yes the original suppliers are to blame too but I don't buy my goods in Mexico, I buy them in Tesco.
Reply 39
It's certainly made me think twice about ready meals. But then with going to the gym more recently I've tried to avoid processed foods more and buy fresh meat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending