The Student Room Group

NHS job start wait time ARGH, I'm going MAD!! :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Seems my NHS Trust may be a little bit better then some of yours. I recently applied for a Bank HCA position and went to an interview a couple of days ago. At the interview we did a test and it seemed that so long as you passed this you had the job and the actual interview itself was more of a chat. We then had to stay and fill out loads and loads of paperwork and be given induction info. My induction is in the middle of September and will take 4 days so its a little wait but not as much as some of yours it just depends how long it takes to get a proper start date after the induction I suppose. September is going to be a busy month for me as I have my induction, I start the Access course at college and I am being put down to have surgery on my ankle to remove plates and pins.... my timing sucks I guess haha
My interview was somewhat similar to yours :smile:. Do you know if bank HCA get called for work often? As I am thinking of doing my university work placement there and I would need to do 72 Hrs of work in total? Thanks
Reply 42
Can anyone offer some advice, I went for a job interview as a hca whilst in the interview they asked me why I didn't apply for nursing at uni, my reply was because I'm not clever enough. After the interview the lady told me I have the qualifications to apply, so I went home and applied. I got a interview at uni and a few days later the hospital rang to tell me I got the job I was given my start date. Today uni rang to offer me a place two months after my start date. What do I do start work and explain to them I have been offered a place or not continue with the employment. So confused I was thinking maybe I could continue working part time just font know what to do :-(.
Original post by Delamere36
Can anyone offer some advice, I went for a job interview as a hca whilst in the interview they asked me why I didn't apply for nursing at uni, my reply was because I'm not clever enough. After the interview the lady told me I have the qualifications to apply, so I went home and applied. I got a interview at uni and a few days later the hospital rang to tell me I got the job I was given my start date. Today uni rang to offer me a place two months after my start date. What do I do start work and explain to them I have been offered a place or not continue with the employment. So confused I was thinking maybe I could continue working part time just font know what to do :-(.

I would discuss with the employer if you can do part time but if they advertised a ful time job, they want full time..
Original post by This Honest
I would discuss with the employer if you can do part time but if they advertised a ful time job, they want full time..

Just work for 2 months then leave to do your course - its all valid experience and will help you get a job as a Bank while you are a student.
Original post by swish and flick
Just work for 2 months then leave to do your course - its all valid experience and will help you get a job as a Bank while you are a student.

Not sure if they'll actually consider you for bank tbh but it's worth a shot :dontknow:
Reply 46
I went for an interview back in October. About three weeks later I had a phone call asking if I would like the job. Had to fill in the forms and send them back, CRB, references etc. Had to travel to another county for Occupational Health. Contacted them after to make sure they had everything as getting the reference from former manager had needed a nudge. Had a copy of the OH report with its recommendations, CRB came through. Was told I would hear back soon. Since then haven't heard a thing. Coming up to two months since last heard anything and three months since conditional offer. Gotta be honest my biggest concern is that because I applied for a job with a six month fixed term and my Occ Health report suggests I might need some small changes made, that they employer has simply decided to let the job expire (although I was told that six months fixed is different to saying fixed until March). It's the waiting and not knowing that is most stressful
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JohnEl
I went for an interview back in October. About three weeks later I had a phone call asking if I would like the job. Had to fill in the forms and send them back, CRB, references etc. Had to travel to another county for Occupational Health. Contacted them after to make sure they had everything as getting the reference from former manager had needed a nudge. Had a copy of the OH report with its recommendations, CRB came through. Was told I would hear back soon. Since then haven't heard a thing. Coming up to two months since last heard anything and three months since conditional offer. Gotta be honest my biggest concern is that because I applied for a job with a six month fixed term and my Occ Health report suggests I might need some small changes made, that they employer has simply decided to let the job expire (although I was told that six months fixed is different to saying fixed until March). It's the waiting and not knowing that is most stressful

Have you not contacted HR or the area manager in that time to follow it up? Sometimes they need a nudge to chase things up.

I hadnt heard anything for a while and phoned HR to see what was going on. They told me that my disclosure wasnt through, Id received mine a month before so they went and had a look and found it, it just hadnt been filed and then I hadnt heard from occy health, turns out they forgot to send the letter out.

I wouldnt sit and wait, I would chase it up.
Reply 48
can totally relate to your frustration ....job offer oct 2013 still waiting for crb return.....no pay since december loss of earnings now approx 3900 not funny now......just qualified health visitor waiting to start the role hv team also need hv in team so when things go wrong dont blame the health visitors if their teams are short patient care will be compromised.........by the way district nurse for 8 years and nmc now need my yearly fees and i am not even practising.....
Reply 49
Well I have finally heard back from the HR department. It turns out my job offer cannot proceed as I failed the pre-employment checks. This letter went on to say the manager doing the hiring would contact me, which she has not done despite me chasing it through HR.

Not sure where I go from here, since obviously whatever caused me to fail this application could likely cause me to fail the next time.
Reply 50
I understand this post is old, but in September 2015 I was offered and signed my new NHS job contract. From there I have been thrown from pillar to post. The Occupational Health Process was terrible, a woman on the phone spoke to me like ****, and said that the recruitment I was dealing with were rubbish and she told them on September 30th I was OK to start. I finally got a second appointment November 24th as she explained rudely that I had cancelled it to my reply that I had never actually been informed about it. From here I rang my revruitment building who said they had also not been informed, then spoke to a second lady who said they had been informed about my 'first appointment' and they'd failed to send a letter out, or bother to contact me to set up a new appointment. The references have been checked off one week the next another caller says they are not. I have asked several times over the past 3 months about uniform to say they send a started pack out and today for another lady from the same Recruiment building say they email you the form. So this could have actually been done weeks ago. and as for the DBS it sat in the same office for 9 weeks until someone noticed it after I'd called them to ask why it was taking so long. I have now been waiting 3 months after signing my job contact to start my job. I advise anyone that is thinking about joining the NHS not to. I signed a contract of 37.5 hours for them to then switch me to Bank Hours (0 contract) without telling me. Possibly because they are too slow and lazy to get the checks done in time. It is the worst recruitment process I have ever been through and am now considering whether to start or not. It is not worth leaving any employment for. The people are rude, lazy and literally know nothing. They will not process anything unless you keep them on the phone until it's done. Do not do it. 😡😡😡😡😡
I got offered my HCA position on 29/10

I've had my Medical, CRB/DBS has been returned. I believe my references have all come through. Just waiting on hearing about a start date now. Today is 17/12
Do you hear this via email, or letter?
I've no idea really what happens now. Lacks a lot of communication for the process.
Reply 52
I was offered my job in May, and finally started in November.
Just got a call yesterday and I start on 1st February. So 4 month from initial phone call offer.
Hi, I had my Hca interview yesterday. They said they will email to let me know. Just wondering how long does it take for the email. I don't know if I got the job or not.
I had interview before for different post in Nhs and they got back on the day of interview. I am very confused. I hope somebody here will help me with that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kaher
Hi, I had my Hca interview yesterday. They said they will email to let me know. Just wondering how long does it take for the email. I don't know if I got the job or not.
I had interview before for different post in Nhs and they got back on the day of interview. I am very confused. I hope somebody here will help me with that.

Hi, it may take quite a while! I had two NHS interviews, one they told me on the day of the interview while I was there they wanted to offer it to me and another told me the following day that I hadn't been successful. But now with the one I did get, the whole process is taking months! Good luck anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I had an interview on Tuesday for a HCA job in the NHS, I found out yesterday evening that I got the job! they usually call you the day of the interview if you are unsucesfull! Good luck x
Original post by tinkerbelle2
Hi, it may take quite a while! I had two NHS interviews, one they told me on the day of the interview while I was there they wanted to offer it to me and another told me the following day that I hadn't been successful. But now with the one I did get, the whole process is taking months! Good luck anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinkerbelle2

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOT
Hi thanks for your information I got an email saying I need to do my DBS and they sent me loads of paperwork to do but they didn't email me saying you have passed your interview or something like that. Anyway I think I'm on the process and hopefully they do a bit quicker.
[
Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOT
Hi thanks for your information I got an email saying I need to do my DBS and they sent me loads of paperwork to do but they didn't email me saying you have passed your interview or something like that. Anyway I think I'm on the process and hopefully they do a bit quicker.

Ooh, if they want your DBS then I'd say that's a really good sign!
I'm still waiting on references coming back. They want about 4! Really annoying.
I know exactly how you feel, I got told at the start of December I got the job, 3 months later I finally have my start date, but this was after HR lost one of my references and continuously gave me incorrect information... NHS HR has a bad rep from what I've heard and experienced, so unorganized

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending