The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science - I'm screwed

Hi Guys,

I know that it'll reflect badly on me but I need some help here.
I was chosen 2 years ago (Year 9) to do Triple Science, with a total of 9 exams and 3 controlled Assessments. I have never been a person interested at all in science but the course was necessary for me to choose 3 GCSE Options, which is another system that is flawed and biased towards one type of person.

1.5 Years into the 2 year course, I'm struggling. In fact, I'm resitting 5 out of the 6 exams and need to add more to the 3 controlled assessments. To be honest, it's a complete nightmare and I don't think I'll be able to do it. I know that I need some degree of science qualification, but how am I supposed to manage this, on top of the science bits I'm being taught at present?

And it's not that I'm unintelligent, all of my other results for all of my other subjects have been B or above, while my science results have been C or below, in the most part below. I've received no support from science teachers about this either. On top of that, I just don't understand or believe in the things that I am being taught, it doesn't make sense to me, and I'm given no help with this either.

My first 3 re-sits are in March - The second week, and I have no clue of what I am going to do or whether I have enough time to revise, and I'm scared of failing these a second time round.

Has anybody got any idea of what I can do? Or a solution to this? And can anybody tell me if I can not take the 3rd round of exams and just have additional science and not triple?

Many Thanks (sorry for the long post)

Jim
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Typically, no one has replied, because I suck at life, and at science. No one, even though 6 people have viewed it, 0 replies. Thanks guys. By the way, to anyone who is thinking of replying, please, please do. I'm desperate, this could affect my life short term, and my results forever.
Reply 2
Don't want to read and run but have no knowledge of triple science in GCSE.What I would suggest is arranging a meeting with you,your oarents and the science department at school to review your options.If you cannot change then it might be helpful to get a tutor who s experienced in the exam and really put some work in to do the best you can.

Goid luck in whatever you end up sitting!
Reply 3
Original post by Mumzi
Don't want to read and run but have no knowledge of triple science in GCSE.What I would suggest is arranging a meeting with you,your oarents and the science department at school to review your options.If you cannot change then it might be helpful to get a tutor who s experienced in the exam and really put some work in to do the best you can.

Goid luck in whatever you end up sitting!

Thanks, have emailed my YDOL (head of year) and asked him whether there was any possibility of not doing the next exams, and he hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I will try and arrange that meeting.

Thanks for trying to help

Jim
Reply 4
Can I help?
Reply 5
I don't stay logged in for long. BBC Bitesize is so helpful with Science and whichever board you are sitting. Past papers show you the way too. Don't despair. You can do it.
Reply 6
Original post by Arwin
I don't stay logged in for long. BBC Bitesize is so helpful with Science and whichever board you are sitting. Past papers show you the way too. Don't despair. You can do it.

But the thing is that it's too much and I get no support from teachers. I revised for ages for the last exam and got all Us
Original post by jameswooton
But the thing is that it's too much and I get no support from teachers. I revised for ages for the last exam and got all Us

I did triple science on my own with no teachers help (apart from a few lunch time sessions) in 1 year so don't focus on that and think you'll fail cause of that - you won't. Perhaps you need to find a better revision technique for you?

I have similar problems to you when finding time to revise for exams so I get record cards and cut them into 4 then read through textbook and make every point into a question and write answers on the back. This way I can take revision in my pocket and do it discretely whilst queuing, on a bus, eating lunch or whatever. Maybe try it but there other techniques depending on what kind of learner you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks man, but I did mention that I revised and still got a U. It just doesn't go in, and I just don't understand it. I do try but I just cannot get to grips with the way that things work in accordance with their views, as they are not my views. It's the only thing. I get Bs in maths and I get As in history so it's not remembering stuff, it's agreeing and understanding it.

But I'll revise again (in vain) and fail again, and then probably lose my 6th form place.
Thanks man, but I did mention that I revised and still got a U. It just doesn't go in, and I just don't understand it. I do try but I just cannot get to grips with the way that things work in accordance with their views, as they are not my views. It's the only thing. I get Bs in maths and I get As in history so it's not remembering stuff, it's agreeing and understanding it.

But I'll revise again (in vain) and fail again, and then probably lose my 6th form place.

It may just be the way your revising. Like some people learn by doing thing, some by listening, some by reading... So find out what works for you then revise accordingly.

So if you learn by listening record yourself reading the textbook then listen to it on repeat. If you learn by doing then maybe just watching youtube videos which explain the topic?

I think if your not understanding the topics then you just need to find a different medium to reading a textbook (presuming that's what your doing) such as video, writing or whatever :smile:

Good Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I read and I write. It seemed to work for History and Maths and Food Tech, it just seems to be that I don't understand it in class either.
I read and I write. It seemed to work for History and Maths and Food Tech, it just seems to be that I don't understand it in class either.

Have you got revision guides for all three sciences? What I found really helped was making cue cards and literally memorizing them.
And as for is it too late, no way! With GCSE I know some people say you can revise the night before and pass it, but I would like to think it requires a little more effort than that. Your best bet is to start now, make power points on your computer with key information if it helps and the stuff that you just don't understand just memorize it. Maybe reading through notes before you go to bed will help, I always found I woke up with it in my head the next day.
Your teachers, despite what you may think are there for you and I'm sure if you went to them on their own they would be more than happy to help you. It shows enthusiasm and will also mean that they are more willing to help you in the future.
Best of luck with whatever happens.
I seriously can't recommend GCSE Science CGP books enough. I was exactly like you, had crappy teachers and generally didn't know what the hell was going on then came out with three A*s thanks to many happy hours spent staring at those books.
Reply 13
I'm not sure if its too late for you but in most schools, if a person is struggling a lot with triple science, it can be replaced with double science. I think it would be best for you to speak to your teachers to discuss what the best option is. Good luck!
Reply 14
I would definitely recommend the CGP books, they aid basic foundation understanding and can help with answering questions as well. Also there are youtube videos that explain things in depth, and aid understanding also. For exams if that's where you're failing, definitely look at past papers - do every single one.
Do online tests to find out how best you learn. Are you a visual or audio learner etc. Posters help me a lot as well, it's a passive form of learning as you're absorbing information subconciously and learning. Also, make your own notes :smile:
Reply 15
Sciences at GCSE are all about understanding concepts; I'd say the foolproof method is learning these subjects by heart, especially biology, for chemistry and physics you also need to understand why things happen and the exams will be a doddle. Do all the questions in the book because they help you understand.

If you can talk/recite any random chapter from the books then you're good to go. Since you've had problems already I'd suggest you try it, it's time consuming but it'll work. If you already tried learning by heart then you didn't do it right, try again.
Doing past papers will help you to develop an understanding of how questions are set out. In the sciences especially, the questions are made to sound long and confusing but really, just stick to what you know. The questions usually store a lot of unnessary detail which is there to make people panic and make things harder for themselves when really, they should just apply the knowledge that they've been learning since Year 7 -> hence a way to spot whether a person is able to solve problems stragetically.

PAST PAPERS ARE THE ULTIMATE PATH FOR SUCCESS.

It changed my predictions from a C in Year 10 to an A* in Year 11, it's about time to see if the GCSE results will actually reflect the effort I had put into my work and revision.

Good luck, I'm panicking already! My first exam is on May 13th. :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Thanks guys, all your comments have been really helpful. Will definitely revise and will be talking to my head of year about changing, he's speaking to the bitch head, of science, about changing over.
Reply 18
I understand so much am currently in year 10 and am doing triple science i never get a C or above
the subject it self is not boring but i just dont have any interest iniit anymore
i be better of doing Btec science
Original post by abigailoya
I understand so much am currently in year 10 and am doing triple science i never get a C or above
the subject it self is not boring but i just dont have any interest iniit anymore
i be better of doing Btec science

Don't give up, buy the CGP revision books and you are bound to get B or higher if you revise properly. I currently use them and have got A*'s in all my exams apart from one where I was 1 mark off. Seriously I couldn't recommend them more...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending