The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Partners and Leeds

I am going to Leeds this year and my girlfriend is off to Emmanuel college Cambridge. I have not decided on the accommodation yet in Leeds, but when i was reading the rule book, it said a person can only stay for 3 consecutive nights and only do that 3 times a term. I am wondering if this is enforced?

Cambridge only have 8 week terms and she would like to stay with me in the hols and is prepared to pay. I am going to apply for a 39 week contract anyway so would they bother us out of term time? I ask because i dont want to loose my accommodation or anger room-mates or ppl on halls (have not decided catered or self-catered). Has anyone had experience of ppl staying in their rooms (apart from one nighters) and been fined or anything. I just think it would put a strain on our relationship if she was not allowed to stay and after 11 months of being together that would be a shame, to say the least!
Reply 1
All i can say is keep friendly with your flatmates and noone will bother you about it :wink:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Well im staying at the plaza- the new accomodation for leeds n leeds met students but its private so not on leeds brochure! And i called and asked whether it would be a problem for my boyfriend to stay at weekends! They said he could stay as much as he likes and they would only get involved if they recieve bad complaints from housemates eg like him stealing their food lol!!
Im sure the same sort of thing will apply for most of the accommodation! Hope thats helped at all!
Reply 3
Thats cool as for the plaza, but if i apply for uni accom i dont want to piss anyone off, but i want to see my gf lol.
Reply 4
im sure u wont piss anyone off as long as ur gf dont piss anyone off like use all their stuff etc!! my f is at uni now and i go sttay all the time n housemates r fine wit it!! remember there are gona be loadz of people who are going to want bfs and gfs to come and stay so u are not alone! i really would not worry!
They say 3 days but it's not enforced.

Good luck with keeping the long distance thing going though, I've seen people kinda just distance themselves from the rest of their flats because they're always with boy/girlfriend.
Reply 6
Do you know if anyone has been caught in the past? What are the people on halls say about it?
Nobody gives a **** as long as you're not irritating.
Reply 8
exactly.. my gf (ish.. long story!) has come up for about 3 nights at a time.. but thats just cos of weekends.. realistically no1 cares unless ur pissing other ppl off..
they dont care at leodis. iv had a room full, and iv had people over for more than 3 days in the past year and noone cares at all
Reply 10
Exactly. It's not like they do room checks. Just make sure it's cool with your flatmates. I had my boyfriend over a few times at the end of term, and while we were actually being really quiet (just talking :p:) my flatmate in the room next to me kept texting me telling us to keep it down, even though we weren't even talking loudly. The walls are super thin so keep that in mind.
Reply 11
Its not a problem at all. I supposedly had the same rules in halls and nothing was ever said. I had mates staying all the time so they could check out leeds. The three days at a time is rubbish as well for a start who is to know how long they have been staying in your room apart from your flat mates/ hall mates.

As said before though try not to distance yourself from the people you are living with when she is there, after all they are the people you are living with 24/7.

Also good luck with keeping the girl friend sorry to break it to you but there is a high "split up" rate.
Reply 12
Still, that wouldn´t get it in the way of your weekend/hollidays reunions :wink:
Reply 13
Bit of advice- break it off!

I was told to do this, but i was naive and sat there thinking it'll work, we're a strong pair etc etc.

It totally didnt, and it ruined half of my first year.

After i got over it all, i had such a great time at uni, everything was better being single.

Obviously my own opinion, but just wanted to pass the advice on, because i ignored it.
there's bound to be good and bad experiences of trying to stay together with a bf/gf at uni - mine was good, and all it meant was that we valued each other far more, and whenever we met up with each other it was really special! :biggrin: good luck to you and your gf :smile:
Reply 15
guitarromantic
They say 3 days but it's not enforced.

Good luck with keeping the long distance thing going though, I've seen people kinda just distance themselves from the rest of their flats because they're always with boy/girlfriend.

yea ive seen that as well....

annoyin it is!
Reply 16
some work, some don't.. seems a bit harsh to thrust evidence for the first in their faces.. ive seen relationships work.. mine didn't, but that wasn't down to distance..

Latest