The Student Room Group

Should i tell my straight best friend that I love him?

Should I? I've known him for 5 years now and was in love with him the week we met. We lived together for 2 years and now we've moved away (after uni) but we still talk to each other a lot. If I were a girl I'm sure he'd love me as much I love him.

Recently I found out that he's probably going to date a girl and I feel so jealous and horrible that I don't want to keep my feelings in the dark but I just want to tell him and have him deal with it, because well why should I sit around and feel sad about it?

Anyway, what do you think? I don't want to make him feel bad or annoyed at me but I just feel like I should "get justice" and bring the truth out. At least if he rejects me (as in doesn't want to be friends with me) I can finally get over him.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Should I? I've known him for 5 years now and was in love with him the week we met. We lived together for 2 years and now we've moved away (after uni) but we still talk to each other a lot. If I were a girl I'm sure he'd love me as much I love him.

Recently I found out that he's probably going to date a girl and I feel so jealous and horrible that I don't want to keep my feelings in the dark but I just want to tell him and have him deal with it, because well why should I sit around and feel sad about it?

Anyway, what do you think? I don't want to make him feel bad or annoyed at me but I just feel like I should "get justice" and bring the truth out. At least if he rejects me (as in doesn't want to be friends with me) I can finally get over him.

I personally think you should tell him before its too late... Go for it and its valentine day tomorrow so thats a even better day to tell him.
:biggrin:
Reply 2
Maybe say you have feelings for him but don't say that you love him cause it might scare him off!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Anyway, what do you think? I don't want to make him feel bad or annoyed at me but I just feel like I should "get justice" and bring the truth out.

There's no "justice" to get. It's really wasting your time telling him you fancy him if he's not gay. It will just make things awkward. Sorry, dude.
Reply 4
This is a tough situation, I don't even know how to answer but I wish you the best of luck in whatever you chose to do.
You sound like you really need to 'make peace' with yourself about your feelings for him

I don't think telling him will be easy (you shouldn't do it on Valantine's day - if he does freak out, it'll freak him out more!). You should realise all the possible consequences it might have; he might want to cut contact with you, get weird around you or act totally normally - you don't know! Even if you think you know someone inside out, it's pretty hard to predict how he'll be.

It's by no means a unique situation, i'm sure people on here will be able to share their stories but in the end it's what's right for you. 5 years is a loooong time to hold feelings for someone and you obviously care for him but again, you sound like you need (for want of a better term) to 'make peace' with yourself about it. If I was in your situation, I don't know if I would be brave enough but if I was brave enough, I'd say go for it :biggrin:
Reply 6
If he is not gay, then what is there to be gained apart from major awkwardness?
I can't see this working out well for you somehow
Reply 8
Do it, then tell us how it went.
Reply 9
If you know he's straight, it might wreck your friendship.
Original post by rcummins1
Do it, then tell us how it went.

This. and be sure to let us know!!
x
Reply 11
I guess you've gotta do it, though he may feel a bit awkward, but if hes understanding he'll let you get over him, I don't think its likely though that he'll go from straight to gay if I'm honest.
Does he know you're gay?
Reply 13
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Does he know you're gay?

Yeah he does, he's the first person I ever told and he was great about it.
Reply 14
Original post by Armani786
I personally think you should tell him before its too late... Go for it and its valentine day tomorrow so thats a even better day to tell him.
:biggrin:

lol that sounds romantic but it'll be heartbreak for me I know it!

Original post by jeery83
There's no "justice" to get. It's really wasting your time telling him you fancy him if he's not gay. It will just make things awkward. Sorry, dude.

Well atleast I can get some closure. I just want him to acknowledge the pain.

Original post by Mel1215
This is a tough situation, I don't even know how to answer but I wish you the best of luck in whatever you chose to do.

Thanks

Original post by The Wild Youth
You sound like you really need to 'make peace' with yourself about your feelings for him

I don't think telling him will be easy (you shouldn't do it on Valantine's day - if he does freak out, it'll freak him out more!). You should realise all the possible consequences it might have; he might want to cut contact with you, get weird around you or act totally normally - you don't know! Even if you think you know someone inside out, it's pretty hard to predict how he'll be.

It's by no means a unique situation, i'm sure people on here will be able to share their stories but in the end it's what's right for you. 5 years is a loooong time to hold feelings for someone and you obviously care for him but again, you sound like you need (for want of a better term) to 'make peace' with yourself about it. If I was in your situation, I don't know if I would be brave enough but if I was brave enough, I'd say go for it :biggrin:

Thanks, yeah 5 years is too long hence why i feel like I should get it over with.
You probably won't really be able to get over it till you tell him, so I think you should. Not on valentine's day though. And I for one would much rather someone said they loved me than they had feelings for me - if it's true, just tell him that.
Reply 16
If you think it's worth the potential risks then yeah, go for it.
I think its clear he dosnt feel the same way otherwise something would have happend. All that is going to happen is that things will get very, very awkward.
Why does he need to acknowledge the pain'?

He hasn't done anything but play for a different team.

Personally I don't see what can be gained, especially since you don't even see him much any more?

What are you yourself doing to move on? Pining for someone like that isn't healthy.

Tell him if you absolutely must but yeah, seems an unnecessary shooting in the foot. I wouldn't advise anyone to just out tell a friend "oh yeah btw I totally love you n ****".

Best of luck either way man but I think you know how this will go, you want to tell him in the slimmest thinnest fools hope he'll reciprocate but that won't happen.
Reply 19
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Why does he need to acknowledge the pain'?

He hasn't done anything but play for a different team.

Personally I don't see what can be gained, especially since you don't even see him much any more?

What are you yourself doing to move on? Pining for someone like that isn't healthy.

Tell him if you absolutely must but yeah, seems an unnecessary shooting in the foot. I wouldn't advise anyone to just out tell a friend "oh yeah btw I totally love you n ****".

Best of luck either way man but I think you know how this will go, you want to tell him in the slimmest thinnest fools hope he'll reciprocate but that won't happen.

Well it'd be nice to get some closure, so I know that he knows my feelings and I have no regrets. I know he's straight but I still feel like I'll regret it if I don't tell him.That way my feelings will be crushed and I can probably get over it successfully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending