The Student Room Group

What are my brother's chances of getting accepted into Bristol and Exeter?

My brother got ABBC at AS in Government & Politics, English Literature, History and English Language.

He is predicted AAB in G&P, Hist. and Eng. Lit., but his Lit. teacher said she'd up his prediction if he wants; which he obviously does.

He has applied to the following universities for Politics & IR:

Bristol (AAA)

Exeter (A*AA-AAB)

Manchester (AAB)

Sussex (AAB)

Birmingham (ABB)

What are his chances? He really wants to go to Bristol or Exeter. His aim is to become a lawyer at a City firm...

NB: His GCSEs were poor (AABCCC and Dist. and Pass due to the death of a family member, will Bristol and Exeter take this into account?)

Thanks all!
Unfortunately Bristol and Exeter don't look particularly likely, especially Bristol.

However, he has a good shot at the others, and they are all good universities. From the point of view of prestige (disproportionately important for a law career) then there is naff all difference between Bristol, Exeter, Manchester and Birmingham.

For the record, I study politics (though a subtly different course from the one you're applying to) at Manchester, so if he's got any specific questions then I'd be happy to answer them.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Unfortunately Bristol and Exeter don't look particularly likely, especially Bristol.

However, he has a good shot at the others, and they are all good universities. From the point of view of prestige (disproportionately important for a law career) then there is naff all difference between Bristol, Exeter, Manchester and Birmingham.

For the record, I study politics (though a subtly different course from the one you're applying to) at Manchester, so if he's got any specific questions then I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks! I thought Br. & Ex. would be outlandish (I am an Exeter grad.!). He likes the look of Birmingham, but only because they have foreign exchange links with US universities that he is interested in. Does Manchester allow you to do a full year abroad if you're not on a language course?

Original post by tucker_camerons
Thanks! I thought Br. & Ex. would be outlandish (I am an Exeter grad.!). He likes the look of Birmingham, but only because they have foreign exchange links with US universities that he is interested in. Does Manchester allow you to do a full year abroad if you're not on a language course?

Unfortunately for politics you can only do a semester abroad, which is done during second year.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Unfortunately for politics you can only do a semester abroad, which is done during second year.

Ok, thank you :smile:

---

Anyone else got any input? Especially regarding Bristol and Exeter, my brother is really set on these two institutions.
Remember, there is no point in a teacher 'upping' predictions just to get a candidate an offer if they are actually highly unlikely to get the grade. This leads to enormous misery on results day when everyone else is leaping about - and you havnt got a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending