The Student Room Group

Lowest GCSE grades achieved by a Medic?

Just out of curiousness...

What are the lowest GCSE grades a medic has ever achieved? Or the lowest grades you've heard was achieved by a medic + what university did they attend? (minus the exceptional circumstances)
Information would be most useful about medics who have entered university last year (Sep. 2012) or have recently been offered a place for September 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Mine are some of the lowest I know of - A*7AsBBC. I got into Cambridge, 2010 entry.
Reply 2
Original post by Rob da Mop
Mine are some of the lowest I know of - A*7AsBBC. I got into Cambridge, 2010 entry.

Thank you & you've still got some good results though. :smile:
Reply 3
My sister got 2 A*s, 7 A's and a B and she got into Sheffield about 3 years ago for medecine. They don't really care about GCSE's. Do well in A-levels and do extra curricular activities like volunteering at the local hospital to make yourself really stand out.
Reply 4
Original post by Parente
My sister got 2 A*s, 7 A's and a B and she got into Sheffield about 3 years ago for medecine. They don't really care about GCSE's. Do well in A-levels and do extra curricular activities like volunteering at the local hospital to make yourself really stand out.

Do they not? It seems like universities then put an awful lot of emphasis on something that "isn't cared about"

:/ it's really hard to get work experience around here, I've only had experience in a charity, elderly home and orphanage in Africa; I don't know what else I can do...
Reply 5
Original post by PINKFLEUR
Do they not? It seems like universities then put an awful lot of emphasis on something that "isn't cared about"

:/ it's really hard to get work experience around here, I've only had experience in a charity, elderly home and orphanage in Africa; I don't know what else I can do...

Thats seems good enough :smile: They didn't speak about or ask aobut her GCSE's. She said it was her UCSA applicaiton that got her the place. She volunteered in the hospital once a week and she was a leader at her local guides. They really liked the leadership side because it also showed hood communication skills etc.
Original post by Parente

To say they don't care about GCSEs is misleading - some care more than others. Don't apply to Bristol if you have a couple not A*s, but if you apply to some places they'll be happy with no A*s as long as you have As in science and straight As at AS.
I've seen a couple of people who've had no A*s and only 3 or 4 As with the rest being Bs, if you wait a few weeks and reply to me I can tell you personally if I get offers with 4A 3B 1C and 1A* 1B in short courses.
Reply 8
To say they don't care about GCSEs is misleading - some care more than others. Don't apply to Bristol if you have a couple not A*s, but if you apply to some places they'll be happy with no A*s as long as you have As in science and straight As at AS.

I wouldn't call it misleading. A good UCAS application means more than your GCSE grades, yes they'll probably consider them but they aren't what decides whether or not you get a place.
Reply 9
Baring in Mind I got into a graduate entry course at KCL I have

A*AABBCCDEFG

Put those with my A level grades and I can spell BAD FUDGE
Some unis put emphasis on gcses and some don't. Oxford, Birmingham, kings, bristol, Nottingham and Liverpool all score gcses in their selection process. Manchester, newcastle look at them, apply wisely and you'll be fine. etc dont
Original post by lcsurfer

A*AABBCCDEFG

Hahaha - well played
Reply 12
Ive heard of somone having 3 A's and the rest B's, and also having All B's in there A levels, someone was telling me about this, was quite surprised about that

How did that happen?!?
Original post by originaltitle
How did that happen?!?

Cambridge look at AS UMS rather than GCSEs.
Original post by originaltitle
How did that happen?!?

But yeah, as the person above me said, they look a lot more at UMS, which was good, and I did very well in the BMAT.
Reply 16
Original post by Parente
Thats seems good enough :smile: They didn't speak about or ask aobut her GCSE's. She said it was her UCSA applicaiton that got her the place. She volunteered in the hospital once a week and she was a leader at her local guides. They really liked the leadership side because it also showed hood communication skills etc.

Oh right, okay.
So it's better to paint the whole picture??
Reply 17
Original post by Helloworld_95
I've seen a couple of people who've had no A*s and only 3 or 4 As with the rest being Bs, if you wait a few weeks and reply to me I can tell you personally if I get offers with 4A 3B 1C and 1A* 1B in short courses.

Can't wait, good luck! :smile: xox
Reply 18
Original post by lcsurfer

A*AABBCCDEFG

:O well done! Did you do a degree before you went into the graduate program? If the answer is yes, were you predicted 2:1? If not, well done! :smile: Xox
Reply 19
Original post by MTW47
Some Unis now use AS results as a better indicator than GCSEs, so they will score your AS results rather than your GCSEs (leeds is definitely one and leicester also give you more points for As at AS). My GCSE results arent great but 4 As at AS have made up for it.

If you don't mind me asking, could you please give me a list of what universities consider A levels the most? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending