The Student Room Group

Lowest GCSE grades achieved by a Medic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GodBewithUs :D
Cambridge doesn't look at GCSE's. :biggrin:

Well, they do but they can be heavily overlooked if you perform well at AS.

The main reason for GCSE A* averages at universities will probably be down to the correlation of GCSE -> AS-levels - you don't normally see people with no A*s at GCSE and AAAAA at AS-level, but if someone could buck the trend and achieve it then they would get offers.
Original post by larryb
Theres that but its fairly useless as it doesn't show which care more, most people applying will be over all of those GCSE requirements but that doesn't mean they have good enough GCSE's to realistically get a place. So i wanted to know if there was a list like; Oxford GCSE heavy, Nottingham GCSE heavy, Cambridge GCSE light if that makes sense :s-smilie:

True . Here are some which really look at it:

Edinburgh 6A*'s+ (not a requirement though)
Cardiff (6 a*'s or more)
Oxford (A* %)
Kings (6A*'s or more) That is not a requirement though
Birmingham (5/6 A*'s including core subjects)
Leicester (to some extent) (dependant on UKCAT)

They are GCSE heavy. The rest I believe don't have high GCSE requirements
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by larryb
Theres that but its fairly useless as it doesn't show which care more, most people applying will be over all of those GCSE requirements but that doesn't mean they have good enough GCSE's to realistically get a place. So i wanted to know if there was a list like; Oxford GCSE heavy, Nottingham GCSE heavy, Cambridge GCSE light if that makes sense :s-smilie:

It's not hard to work out if you look at the right-hand column. For example for the ones that give a score based on your top however many GCSEs (like Liverpool and SGUL, maybe more but I didn't look at all of them) then you'll probably find yourself hard pushed to compete with those applicants with all or mostly A*s (and there will be plenty of them).
Original post by The Polymath
Well, they do but they can be heavily overlooked if you perform well at AS.

The main reason for GCSE A* averages at universities will probably be down to the correlation of GCSE -> AS-levels - you don't normally see people with no A*s at GCSE and AAAAA at AS-level, but if someone could buck the trend and achieve it then they would get offers.

I do agree that there is some correlation. When I said they don't look at it, I meant that they don't consider it as important as the rest of the application

95+ UMS, poor GCSE's could well get you an offer
Very Poor UMS, 12A*'s, an offer seems unlikely.
Original post by GodBewithUs :D
I do agree that there is some correlation. When I said they don't look at it, I meant that they don't consider it as important as the rest of the application

95+ UMS, poor GCSE's could well get you an offer
Very Poor UMS, 12A*'s, an offer seems unlikely.

Yep, exactly.
Reply 45
Original post by PINKFLEUR
Currently? Wow, they really must've performed well in their A levels and BMAT! How did they do in the BMAT and what grades did they achieve at A level?

3.1 2.9 in the bmat, A*AA at a levels, did the minimum to reach them endz :clap:
Reply 46
Original post by Rahul.S
3.1 2.9 in the bmat, A*AA at a levels, did the minimum to reach them endz :clap:

oh okay. Very useful, thank you!
Reply 47
Oh right, okay.
So it's better to paint the whole picture??

I personally think so. Some people seem to think it's entirely academic. I'm not saying they're wrong, universities want people who are most likely to pass the exams they are given, but I don't think they're after someone who revises and that is it. Because if you go to quite a bad school how else are you meant to stand out? Academically you may probably not do as well but if you show that you had other commitments then it lessens the effects.
Reply 48
Original post by Parente
I personally think so. Some people seem to think it's entirely academic. I'm not saying they're wrong, universities want people who are most likely to pass the exams they are given, but I don't think they're after someone who revises and that is it. Because if you go to quite a bad school how else are you meant to stand out? Academically you may probably not do as well but if you show that you had other commitments then it lessens the effects.

It's not going to make a bit of difference if you apply to a uni which has a GCSE-based cut-off for interviews and you don't meet that cut-off, though.
Reply 49
Oh okay. Has your friend recieved any interviews from other universities?

I don't really talk to her much. Just another student in my Psychology class, only talk in that lesson, so I don't know everything. But I do know that as well as Barts, she's had 2 other interviews. One at Brighton and the other at Bristol.
Already been said but it depends where you apply. Obviously though the trade-off is that A-level requirements are usually higher, and an overall increase in competitiveness for each place.

Apply to your strengths :smile:
Reply 51
1xA, 6xBs, 2xCs

and I did alright
Reply 52
Just out of curiousness...

What are the lowest GCSE grades a medic has ever achieved? Or the lowest grades you've heard was achieved by a medic + what university did they attend? (minus the exceptional circumstances)
Information would be most useful about medics who have entered university last year (Sep. 2012) or have recently been offered a place for September 2013.

I didnt do GCSE and have secondary school equivalent which translated pretty much into ABBCCCCCDDDD.
Reply 53
Original post by islanders
-

Original post by Knugs
-

Are you a medic?
Reply 54
Are you a medic?

Yep, and I received 4 offers last year.

To those with low GCSEs, it is more than possible. Just pick wisely, ensure your level 3 qualifications are good, and brush up on your extra-curricular activities
Reply 55
Are you seriously asking that? There are obviously medics out there who have bombed exams.. they are human too. I think a guy in my school once got a B in a further maths module and he is now a medic at cambridge
Reply 56
Are you a medic?

Yes I am. I received 2 offers.

as Islanders mentioned the most important thing you should do is choose wisely.

A lot of people take GCSE's too seriously. I have never seen someone in my college being rejected based on GCSE results but that doesnt mean it hasnt ever happened.

You also have to consider that my sec school equivalent is structually a lot different than GCSE and so my results are actually pretty good. No one here gets full A*'s and A's or any combination which is dominant with A's.
OP are you worried you won't get in with your gcses?

I think a couple of places require 7A*s minimum at gcse. But then others would rather you get just As and Bs if it meant you then have an epic PS, reference, tonnes of work experience and excellent a2 predictions.
Reply 58
Original post by anony.mouse
OP are you worried you won't get in with your gcses?

Yes, I am a little worried. But please keep in mind that I haven't yet passed my GCSE examinations; I'll be passing them this June.

I am aware that I will be competing against those with 10A*s, even more. But I'm scared that there will be so many of people with those kind of grades that they'll turn a blind eye on me.

I have recieved quite a lot of work experience, but the most important one that I'll be taking up this summer is in an African hopsital.

I will for sur ebe working my ass of during my A levels but I keep wondering, will I ever be good enough? I made this thread to see whether people will low GCSE grades actually make it through because many peole have been commenting about how universities are heavily reliant on the GCSE grades achieved by pupila at the age of 16.

Even though I'm not predicted anything less than an A, my predictions mostly consist of A grades rather than A* which is really annoying because two other hopeful medics at my school have A*s. To be honest, I didn't really put that much effort, if not, NO effort into my school work until year 11. I can't really blame anyone but myself for these kind of predictions because I didn't really prove to my teachers that I could do better.

Haha, I'm sorry for this uber long sob story. I just simply want to prove to some that those with low grades can still make it into medicine, despite the kafaffle that there isn't (at least, not a majority).
Reply 59
Original post by madfish
Are you seriously asking that? There are obviously medics out there who have bombed exams.. they are human too. I think a guy in my school once got a B in a further maths module and he is now a medic at cambridge

Read the first line from my first post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending