The Student Room Group

Vegetarian Bodybuilding?

Hi guys,

Are there any vegetarian/ vegan bodybuilders out there?

I am interested in how you've found it... Have you had problems consuming the sufficient amount of protein and other nutrients, such as iron? Just basically, what are your experiences??:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

I'm female, weight train 4 x week and started quite a strict diet a month ago which my friend who is a bodybuilder and a PT put me on.

My typical day was:
Meal 1: protein shake with water/ porridge with water
Meal 2: sweet potato baked, lettuce
Meal 3: quorn fillets (high protein) with asparagus and green beans
Meal 4: boiled egg white salad (no dressing)
Meal 5: protein shake
Snacks: rice cakes, 20g walnuts, loads of boiled egg whites

I also eat a lot of tofu!! Floradix liquid iron supplement is great for keeping iron up too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Experience was good. Eat clean, train dirty = feel amazing!!
Protein shakes are great as so high in protein obvs and stopped hunger pangs post workout

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Are you the type of vegetarian who eats fish or the type that doesn't?
Reply 4
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/vegan%20bodybuilding
You should find a few helpful blogs/posts there
Reply 5
Yeah vegetarian. I don't eat any flesh, fish or meat, but I also don't eat dairy or eggs :smile: Not vegan though cos I don't extend my eating commitments to other aspects of my lifestyle. For example, I have a leather belt. I also don't object to eating honey (if there are no easy alternatives). :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah I've been on there, just wondered what the peeps on here thought. Similar demographics to myself, etc :smile:
Reply 7
Squats + oats + milk
Reply 8
Original post by AmeliaGYC
Hey,

I'm female, weight train 4 x week and started quite a strict diet a month ago which my friend who is a bodybuilder and a PT put me on.

My typical day was:
Meal 1: protein shake with water/ porridge with water
Meal 2: sweet potato baked, lettuce
Meal 3: quorn fillets (high protein) with asparagus and green beans
Meal 4: boiled egg white salad (no dressing)
Meal 5: protein shake
Snacks: rice cakes, 20g walnuts, loads of boiled egg whites

I also eat a lot of tofu!! Floradix liquid iron supplement is great for keeping iron up too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, the iron supplements may be a good idea... The rest is pretty similar to my diet, apart from I don't eat dairy or eggs, so no quorn (contains milk) or egg whites for me :eek: What type of protein shake do yo have? As in, is it just protein or other things, like carbs and fats as well?

EDIT: love tofu :love:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I've always been vegetarian and I'm now vegan. I powerlift not body build but I do try to loose and gain weight.

Protein isn't a problem at all. Just now I'm on a diet of 2800 calories a day and eat 200g protein, only about 25g of that is from shakes, maybe 50g on a less organised day. The bulk of that is from seitan, soy milk, TVP, beans and nuts. An example day would be along the lines of:
oats and soy milk with berries
seitan and veg sandwiches
buscuits, peanut butter and shake
chilli (TVP and kidney beans) with potatoes
Reply 10
For iron: LENTILS! My favourite super food.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Hypocrism
For iron: LENTILS! My favourite super food.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lentils are possibly my most eaten food right now. Plenty of protein and fibre in them too! :smile:
Reply 12
Hi fordfiesta, just seen your reply sorry!
I am on Gaspari Myofusion atm and it is amazing. I use 225ml of ice cold water, 1 scoop and 3 ice cubes in a blenders and its like milkshake!! One scoop is 48% of your daily protein intake.
If I have a heavy weights day I usually have 1 for breakfast and then 1 as soon as I get in from the gym.
Maybe also try phd diet whey?
I don't really know what to suggest as a replacement as you don't eat eggs. I know one female bb who was vegan and forced herself to eat eggs though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yeah quinoa is becoming a staple for me now... love it! I've got some tempeh in my freezer, haven't got round to trying it yet though. I've never heard of soaking oats overnight, could you explain that to me please?
Reply 14
I think there is a guy on sugden who is a vegan(much harder than veggie) and has about a 340kg deadlift and 300kg squat...so yes you can get big and strong.
Reply 15
Actually I think he is a veggie rather than vegan...he maybe vegan though

here is his journal

his current pbs are

squat 300kg...bench 180kg ....deadlift 345kg

http://sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/There-and-Back-Again-4648
Reply 16
Original post by fordfiesta
Hi guys,

Are there any vegetarian/ vegan bodybuilders out there?

I am interested in how you've found it... Have you had problems consuming the sufficient amount of protein and other nutrients, such as iron? Just basically, what are your experiences??:smile:

I'm vegan and do a fair bit of weight training. It's definitely possible to have a 'cover model' type body as a vegan (in fact it's easier to keep a low body fat % as plant-based diets have a lot less saturated fat).

One thing though, it is more expensive to buy protein powder as the whey (dairy product) protein is cheaper than vegan protein.

I found a site that shows you the cheapest vegan protein which is really useful, http://proteinfinder.co.uk/products/cheapest-vegan-protein-supplements/

The key as a vegan though is to really figure out exactly how may calories and grams protein you need and to plan your diet. Not enough protein and you just won't grow, and if you get it from the wrong places, e.g. all from nuts and seeds, you would consume a lot of fat.

It's tricky, but definitely possible!
Reply 17
Original post by AmeliaGYC
Hi fordfiesta, just seen your reply sorry!
I am on Gaspari Myofusion atm and it is amazing. I use 225ml of ice cold water, 1 scoop and 3 ice cubes in a blenders and its like milkshake!! One scoop is 48% of your daily protein intake.
If I have a heavy weights day I usually have 1 for breakfast and then 1 as soon as I get in from the gym.
Maybe also try phd diet whey?
I don't really know what to suggest as a replacement as you don't eat eggs. I know one female bb who was vegan and forced herself to eat eggs though!!

I would just use the cheapest whey powder available like bulkpowder or myprotein etc.

Whey is a very basic food product and with most of the fancier versions, you are just paying for branding and slightly nicer packaging. Buying expensive whey is like buying kellogs cornflakes instead of own brand - same thing, looks prettier. They don't even mix or taste nicer in general. I got a few expensive brands when they were on offer or price glitches and just kept the tubs to pour the cheap stuff into.
Reply 18
Original post by veganboy
I'm vegan and do a fair bit of weight training. It's definitely possible to have a 'cover model' type body as a vegan (in fact it's easier to keep a low body fat % as plant-based diets have a lot less saturated fat).
I'm skeptical of any claims that being vegan is healthier. A **** vegan diet is (health wise) just as **** as a **** meat eater diet. Many sources of saturated fat aren't vegan but plenty are. I wouldn't want people to think they can be complacent because they are vegan.

Original post by veganboy
The key as a vegan though is to really figure out exactly how may calories and grams protein you need and to plan your diet. Not enough protein and you just won't grow, and if you get it from the wrong places, e.g. all from nuts and seeds, you would consume a lot of fat.

It's tricky, but definitely possible!

I think everyone would do well to figure out their calories and protien and do some tracking until they get used to it. I don't think being vegan is tricky once you are used to it. Making any major diet change does however take some asjustment which can be hard. You might find it tricky but there's no absolute reason it will be for everyone or always be for you.

And just to be clear, eating nuts and seeds is good for you in reasonable amounts.
Reply 19
There is something called phytic acid in oats and other grains that prevents absorption of some of the mineral content (mostly zinc and calcium IIRC) and soaking theoretically reduces the presence of this acid somewhat thereby allowing you to absorb more of the minerals present although I believe that it is a bit contentious as to whether this actually achieves much in the case of oats (I think it is demonstrably effective with other grains and also many legumes).

I remember finding out about this because I was asking an old vegetarian flatmate why he soaked his kidney beans/lentils etc. for so long before cooking and he didn't know so we looked it up.

Quick Reply

Latest