The Student Room Group

Deactivating facebook because I have no social life

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ceeceeg
Why keep an empty box?

Posted from TSR Mobile

She can still use it for uni groups and event notifications.

Very valuable I guess, even though people don't write on her wall etc.
Reply 21
Original post by Toodles8
I've considered this but I just find it so superficial. Even if I had the most active social life, I can't imagine uploading pictures for the sake of others to see. Also why write on people's walls when you could just text them or even private message them? Why does everything have to be public? I just find it all quite pretentious to be honest

You do have it all figured out actually. Not that deactivating it would solve anything though.
Im not against deactivating it, but it doesn't address your actual problem does it, its a metaphorical door slam that is totally inconsequential. Facebook, while it is annoying how much it leads things these days is a very useful social tool. Put much more work into your social life, friendships etc and you'll be able to make much more of it anyway, and get the socail life you are actually looking for.
Reply 23
i tend to think people who dont update a lot have better social lives than the people who constantly post updates on their wonderful lives or lots of selfies/group selfies. the people whose facebook is the most active always come across as kinda sad.

maybe that's just me...
Reply 24
I've normally found that the ones that something irrelevant on Facebook every 10 mins are the ones I judge the most they want everyone to know how amazing their lives are because they are insecure. I wouldnt think badly of you for not using it, I stopped using facbook for a year and have just gotten back into it because everyone has gone to uni so its nice just to keep up with my friends all in the same place
Reply 25
I have a fb. I don't put any statuses, don't post any pics, have a 2 year old dp, got around 10 tagged pictures I didn't approve.

I get around 3-5 birthday wishes every year.

That's my timeline.

But the thought of deactivating it never crossed my mind. Perhaps you are overreacting.

Edit: ppl who has a dead wall are cool ppl too
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Most of my friends who are the more social types tend to have less active publicised Facebooks while I've noticed the more active publicised Facebooks tend to belong to the more attention-seeking people. Most of Facebook, these days, happen behind the scenes i.e. group messages/chats and all that. No one will judge you on your lack of publicised activity unless you all of a sudden start spamming for everyone's attention.
I only really keep mine because it's useful for chat and for keeping a means of contact with people I don't see much anymore.

There's not much point in deleting it.
Original post by Ceeceeg
Why keep an empty box?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why throw it away?
Reply 28
Haven't posted a status on Facebook since 2010, but it's still useful for events and looking through drunken photos that you were tagged from the night before.
Reply 29
good. i deactivated mine to try and get more things done
Reply 30
Spotlight effect. It's likely hardly anyone notices how dead your Facebook is except you. Why care? As time goes by I feel like the need to maintain a shallow facade on that tiresome website just decreases. There are so many more important things to be concerned over.
Reply 31
The people that go out and come back saying what a great night they had are liars how could they have had a great night if they upload 500 pics? Clearly their night was spent mainly taking pictures... That doesnt sound fun... I use fb to stay in contact with people not to have a social popularity contest.. i deleted like 300 people have about 100 left. I prefer to seem lonely and boring as im a very private person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
but why are you all saying deactivate it? is it because you judge people by their facebook?

No but I have many 'friends' who constantly talked to me every time I was online. Switched off my facebook, I'm now in touch with less than a quarter of those people
Reply 33
Original post by Bude8
Best decision of your life

Haha

OP, just delete it, I once had a FB account to but didn't have any friends added onto it, I could have added a huge load of people but I would have just been showing off,
Reply 34
I wouldn't deactivate it, but I would change the whole dynamics of how you use it.

Delete all your fringe friends or acquaintances. Only keep family/family friends and really good friends. If you are using it to try and impress/have friends that you don't really want to associate with or would judge you negatively for the things you post/your profile, then you are completely misusing it.

This way you can use it as often as you like to just post little updates of your achievements, the things you are doing or plan to do and talk to/see what the people who matter in your life are doing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Facebook makes it appear I have no social life...I do have one, its just not the most buzzing one lol
nobody ever writes on my wall, I don't ever upload photos or get tagged in any and my timeline is just dry lol
I just don't need people knowing that there's not much going on with me
I know everybody, whether they admit it or not, makes assumptions when looking at others facebook

So I just want to deactivate it...for like a year or so
only problem is that facebook does have its benefits i.e. uni groups and events

Any advice?
Am I just overreacting?
anyone else feel similarly?

Late to the party but I totally get what you mean. I'm taking a break from uni and as a result my timeline is basically empty- not that it was super buzzing before but still. Yeah I know I don't think people really post on walls anymore, like I would just inbox my friend if I had anything to say. And some of my close friends just happen to be people that don't really comment and like all my posts, so it looks like I have less of a social life than I actually do.

It's become like a must to get a ton of likes on your photos and stuff, and it does make me insecure that I don't have as many Facebook 'followers' (people that like and comment on my posts) as some of my friends who get up to 200 likes on their profile pics, and it does prevent me from posting a lot these days. I'm trying to not let it bother me because like everyone said on here, it is a bit of a superficial thing and also, fb works in such a way that the more active you are and the more likes your posts get, the more prominently you feature in other peoples' newsfeeds- so if you're inactive it's actually hard to get back into it because not a lot of people will see your posts and then you stop posting again... It's a vicious cycle lol.

I'm just curious, all the people that said they quit fb and their lives are far better now, how did you sort of stay in the loop? Was it just through texting, whatsapp etc? I would quit maybe but fb is how I keep in touch with people so I don't know... Also I'm scared to deactivate in case all my info and photo albums and stuff go away lol.
My timeline is like that. I get tagged in the odd photo here and there, but other than that people generally don't write on my wall and I don't write on others. For me, if I want to have a conversation then I text or message the person. Why do I want everyone else to read a full conversation between myself and another person?

I don't use facebook that much, it's boring, log on a few times a day then log out again, but it can be good to stay in touch with social groups or groupwork at uni etc. I wouldn't deactivate it if I was you, just don't log in as much. I'm pretty sure more and more people are getting bored of facebook anyway now.

Quick Reply

Latest