The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scotttb
Lets not forget Bale is playing in a fairly poor Tottenham side and totally carrying it whereas Ryan Giggs always had top class players around him

totally agree when your carrying a team like bale you get hyped up as your the focal point of the team however if you have great players around you i.e. giggs you'll get less praise as the burden of goals and assists is shared out
Reply 41
Original post by anonstudent1

I also feel there is a lot of talent outside Barcelona. Current Real Madrid and Bayern Munich 2006-2009 Chelsea, 2007-8 Man utd, are all teams that could have won a champions league in the 1997-2005 era..

You mention Porto and Liverpool, but they did both win it at the end of this period (and it's more 1996 - 2004 that I'm concerned with, so pre Porto and Liverpool). In this period there was that Juventus of the mid to late 90s, the treble winning Manchester United team, Real Madrid (pre/early Galactico) and Bayern Munich to name just four.

Not to mention the international sides.

We may not have had players who matched the likes of Ronaldo and Messi back then (some will dispute this, pointing to the likes of Zidane) but we arguably had a larger number of top quality players (defensive and attacking), spread out across the major clubs.

Original post by Mess.
Right now football is so ****ing boring. The players are boring and the teams are boring. 97-06 was the peak in terms of a collection of incredible players and incredible teams.

Right now we have one incredible team and a handful of unbelievable players. We have almost no good centre backs in world football at the moment though.

:ditto: (to a large extent).

Original post by Pn94
I doubt many on here are even old enough to have fully appreciated Giggs. I'm not.

It's not about purely achievements though. Not at all.

I can't get over how young you are. You were only born in (or even after) the double winning season of 1993-1994? Yikes.

But yes, I think this is part of the problem. Many on here are only 16 - 24, so don't remember the Giggs of the early to mid 90s and the excitement of his play. I'm not say he was "better" than Bale, or that Bale can't match him. I don't get too concerned with arguments like that. Two different players, different periods, different teams. However, I do feel Bale hasn't shown some of the technical wizardry that Giggs did show in his late teens and early 20s, and traded off that Inter performance for too long. This season he is showing the sort of fantastic form that it looked he couple produce, so we'll just see how he goes.
Reply 42
Original post by River85

I can't get over how young you are. You were only born in (or even after) the double winning season of 1993-1994? Yikes.

But yes, I think this is part of the problem. Many on here are only 16 - 24, so don't remember the Giggs of the early to mid 90s and the excitement of his play. I'm not say he was "better" than Bale, or that Bale can't match him. I don't get too concerned with arguments like that. Two different players, different periods, different teams. However, I do feel Bale hasn't shown some of the technical wizardry that Giggs did show in his late teens and early 20s, and traded off that Inter performance for too long. This season he is showing the sort of fantastic form that it looked he couple produce, so we'll just see how he goes.

After it :biggrin:

But I agree. Many will only have been able to have watched Giggs from 2000ish onwards and even then their appreciation of the game wouldn't have been great.
Original post by River85
You mention Porto and Liverpool, but they did both win it at the end of this period (and it's more 1996 - 2004 that I'm concerned with, so pre Porto and Liverpool). In this period there was that Juventus of the mid to late 90s, the treble winning Manchester United team, Real Madrid (pre/early Galactico) and Bayern Munich to name just four.

We may not have had players who matched the likes of Ronaldo and Messi back then (some will dispute this, pointing to the likes of Zidane) but we arguably had a larger number of top quality players (defensive and attacking), spread out across the major clubs.

I think people are looking back with rose tinted glasses as they always do.
I previously remember you saying on another thread in reply to me a while ago, that the 1994 double winning united team and the 1999 treble winning united team would school the Man Utd from 2008. Players now are capable of more. Pretty much all the strikers in 2008 could play in a number of different positions, which in itself is a massive tactical advantage. There was no where near the same strength in depth in the squad, except for the strikers. We expect our defenders and now even our Goalkeepers to distribute the ball effectively, booting out is not as acceptable as it was, players like Luiz and De Gea, I feel would have struggled to make a CB and a Gk for a top team back in 1996, certainly in the premiership. And the teams are far more athletic now.
Im making these points about Man utd, but they could apply to many of the top teams around them. Juventus, Milan, R.M, Barca, Bayern and United were good teams for the era. But the games moved on now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by antoniovalencia
totally agree when your carrying a team like bale you get hyped up as your the focal point of the team however if you have great players around you i.e. giggs you'll get less praise as the burden of goals and assists is shared out

Thats one advantage to playing in a weaker team, however I think there are more cons. Its harder to get assists if your strikers are ****, like Stewart Downing last season, also harder to be in goal scoring opportunities if your team are not dominating the game, so less goals to.
Original post by River85

I think you're looking back with a lot of bias tbh, the game is as good as its ever been. There have been just as many great sides in the last few years as there was in the late 90's/early 00's.

For one, you have the greatest club side ever in 3 different incarnations (Barca 09/11/13), then you have 2011-2012 Madrid, 2010 Inter, 2008/09 United, 2008/09 Chelsea, 2007 Milan, 2010/13 Bayern, 2012 Juventus, and maybe a few others.

When, in 10 years time, all of the current players have retired or faded we'll look back and think of them like we currently think of the late 90's/early 00's teams and players.
Reply 46
As a Welshman, Yes, Bale is better than Giggs ever was but not greater.
Reply 47
Bale > Giggs
Reply 48
Original post by TRS-T
Bale > Giggs

Bale > Giggs

Lukaku > Benteke
Original post by CB91
I think you're looking back with a lot of bias tbh, the game is as good as its ever been. There have been just as many great sides in the last few years as there was in the late 90's/early 00's.

For one, you have the greatest club side ever in 3 different incarnations (Barca 09/11/13), then you have 2011-2012 Madrid, 2010 Inter, 2008/09 United, 2008/09 Chelsea, 2007 Milan, 2010/13 Bayern, 2012 Juventus, and maybe a few others.

When, in 10 years time, all of the current players have retired or faded we'll look back and think of them like we currently think of the late 90's/early 00's teams and players.

That's debatable. You take Messi out of that team and it's distinctly beatable. The Madrid of the early 2000s, the Milan of the early 1990s, and the Juventus of the late 1990s would be a match for that team.
Reply 50
Original post by tengentoppa
That's debatable. You take Messi out of that team and it's distinctly beatable. The Madrid of the early 2000s, the Milan of the early 1990s, and the Juventus of the late 1990s would be a match for that team.

Well Messi is part of that team therefore it's not distinctly beatable. You could say the same for the The Madrid of the early 2000s, the Milan of the early 1990s, and the Juventus of the late 1990s if you took their best players away.

Hardly distincly beatable tbh, the 2010/11 version of Barca had no weakness.

And you can't just take out their best player you know. :lolwut:
Original post by CB91
Hardly distincly beatable tbh, the 2010/11 version of Barca had no weakness.

And you can't just take out their best player you know. :lolwut:

What I mean is that Messi has carried their team over the last few years. Valdes, Pique, Dani Alves and Busquets are all overrated. Besides, the 2010/11 team failed to complete a domestic double at a time when Madrid were still adapting to life under Mourinho.
Reply 53
What I mean is that Messi has carried their team over the last few years. Valdes, Pique, Dani Alves and Busquets are all overrated. Besides, the 2010/11 team failed to complete a domestic double at a time when Madrid were still adapting to life under Mourinho.

You can't be serious? Busquets is vastly underrated if anything.
Reply 54
Original post by Mess.
This era of football is pretty dire tbh, both in terms of teams and players.

You mean this era of Premier League football right?

The Barcelona team of the last 5 years will go down in history as one of the best of all time and the Spanish National team is possibly already there, if they win the 2014 WC there will be no doubt about it
Original post by Jordan_1
You can't be serious? Busquets is vastly underrated if anything.

Not really. FourFourTwo named him as the 23rd best player in the world. All Busquets does is pass it to more creative players and try and break up play anyway he can. The likes of Alonso, Schweinsteiger and Marchisio are all better than him. Put Busquets in a team other than Barca and Spain and he would be found out.

Busquets overrated. :rofl2:
Reply 57
Original post by CB91
Busquets overrated. :rofl2:

That's my view. However, their most overrated player is Pique who, incidentally, just gave away a penalty which Ronaldo duly converted.
Reply 59
Bale has already won the PFA Player of the Year award twice.

Giggs has only won it once.

Bale has also won Football Writers' Football of the Year, something Giggs has never won.

Bale has scored 20 Premier League goals this season.

The most Giggs managed was 13.

There is no doubt about it.

Bale is better than Giggs ever was.

Latest