The Student Room Group

Why is social mobility so bad in the UK?

Some of my points
1) Loss of manufacturing
2) High property prices, some areas virtually impossible
3) Jobs hard to come by
4) Education seems to be turning into a business rather than actually teaching people and just appears to enrich people such as landlord, bookshops, local businesses, university funds
5) Rising inflation, low interest rates
6) Taxes for the rich are disproportional to the lower income individuals

Life is hard in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Because lack of social mobility allows the ruling elite to be kept in their place at the top, while the average person struggles. As long as the upper class are in power, it won't change.
Reply 2
Lack of emphsis on education, on average poor people are not as intelligent as rich people, the education system not taking the prioty of making sure all bright children reach their potential
Reply 3
We've moved from heavy industry to tech, from manual to brain, but whole sections of society are still stuck in the peasant stages and are not very clever with this sophisticated tech stage and brain work. The elite cater for the peasants by giving them entertainment, it occupies them and softens them up and prevents them from revolt.
It's a lot of the things mentioned.
The truth is that it's a combination of so many factors that there isn't a quick or easy fix. Like many other countries, there is too much engraned into society that protects the elite class, and shames the working class. Just these mind sets keep the working class at an everlasting disadvantage.

I've posted many times about the issues surrounding social mobility; there simply are not the same opportunities for everyone, and those born into working class families have far less chances of getting into higher paid jobs than those that are not. Why is it considered fair that the family you are born into (which you have no control over) determines if you can succeed financially in life?
Yes, there are some people who succeed anyway, but they are a small minority, and it isn't possible for all (or even most) working class people to do the same. They are the exception to the rule.

What we need to do is look at countries that are doing it better than us (namely, some places in Scandanavia); they have higher standards of living, higher wages, more social mobility, etc. We need to take a leaf out of their books and start to change things to reflect their methods.
This can't be done, however, until some of the culture in this country is changed. We need the culture and attitudes, not just the legislation and laws.
Reply 5
We've stopped exporting most of what we used to
Reply 6
Because it is difficult for poorer people to get anywhere in the education system (the worst ranked schools tend to be in the most deprived areas), unfortunately many people seem to have the opinion that education is not any use and this creates a cycle.
Reply 7
Original post by Martyn*
We've moved from heavy industry to tech, from manual to brain, but whole sections of society are still stuck in the peasant stages and are not very clever with this sophisticated tech stage and brain work. The elite cater for the peasants by giving them entertainment, it occupies them and softens them up and prevents them from revolt.

True.
Reply 8
Original post by Emaemmaemily
It's a lot of the things mentioned.
The truth is that it's a combination of so many factors that there isn't a quick or easy fix. Like many other countries, there is too much engraned into society that protects the elite class, and shames the working class. Just these mind sets keep the working class at an everlasting disadvantage.

I've posted many times about the issues surrounding social mobility; there simply are not the same opportunities for everyone, and those born into working class families have far less chances of getting into higher paid jobs than those that are not. Why is it considered fair that the family you are born into (which you have no control over) determines if you can succeed financially in life?
Yes, there are some people who succeed anyway, but they are a small minority, and it isn't possible for all (or even most) working class people to do the same. They are the exception to the rule.

What we need to do is look at countries that are doing it better than us (namely, some places in Scandanavia); they have higher standards of living, higher wages, more social mobility, etc. We need to take a leaf out of their books and start to change things to reflect their methods.
This can't be done, however, until some of the culture in this country is changed. We need the culture and attitudes, not just the legislation and laws.

Great post :smile:
Reply 9
Attitude.
Original post by akash11
Lack of emphsis on education, on average poor people are not as intelligent as rich people, the education system not taking the prioty of making sure all bright children reach their potential

Thats ridiculous...You can't say that poor people aren't as intelligent..Rich people have better life chances and opportunities due to their status, not because of their intelligence..
[video="youtube;sPLGh7TvIJA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLGh7TvIJA[/video]
Reply 12
Original post by Laurenx123x
Thats ridiculous...You can't say that poor people aren't as intelligent..Rich people have better life chances and opportunities due to their status, not because of their intelligence..

I said that youre average rich person is smater then youre avearge poor person, so thier will still be many stupid rich people and many intelligent poor people.
Original post by akash11
I said that youre average rich person is smater then youre avearge poor person, so thier will still be many stupid rich people and many intelligent poor people.

How is that so? Have you tested this theory, or are you just following the common misconception that there is a positive correlation between wealth and in
where is it good?
Original post by Bill_Gates

Some of my points
1) Loss of manufacturing
2) High property prices, some areas virtually impossible
3) Jobs hard to come by
4) Education seems to be turning into a business rather than actually teaching people and just appears to enrich people such as landlord, bookshops, local businesses, university funds
5) Rising inflation, low interest rates
6) Taxes for the rich are disproportional to the lower income individuals

Life is hard in the UK

Brought about by the party of the working classes scrapping grammar schools.

As usual, allowing a deluded ideology to trump anything that might actually work.

The grammar school system mitigated against those things, elevating many from deprived backgrounds to greater things.

How else would you explain the decline in social mobility that occurred in tandem with the decline in grammar schools?

Gordon Brown is a good example of someone, from poor beginnings, plucked age eleven and sent to a nice grammar school with all the other hard working, well behaved, kids.

Saved from years of violent bullying you just know a personality like his would have attracted in spades down at the secondary modern.

Even in the land of social democracy, Germany, they have a selective education system with no pretence of it being the slightest bit comprehensive.

Of course, this glaringly obvious, elephant in the room, alternative educational approach was completely out of the question for Labour, as if it didn’t even exist, in their impartial and balanced piece of work.

It would also provide the sort of social mobility, now missing from our society, that many Labour politicians, like Gordon Brown, were able to take advantage of.

The status quo left unchallenged is in the end just a form of in house propaganda.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
1) Education - Scrapping the grammar school system was done by successive governments and is without a doubt the thing to happen to social mobility because as unfair as it could be, the gap between rich and poor in academic excellence isn't that big at age 11. Bring these back and institute an educational voucher system (conveniently most private schools have entry tests) will within a decade produce better education standards.

2) Social housing policy - Quite frankly whoever thought that sticking masses of poor people together would foster an environment conducive to aspiration was a colossal idiot and allows children to grow up surrounded by failure and mediocrity. Limit the availability of social housing per square mile and end class segregation (mix poor and middle classes together).

3) As the video above says, most people at the top do actually deserve to be at the top. It's not perfect but aside from worse education I've come from a poor background and not had anything stand in my way and i'm now at uni with the rich.
Reply 17
How is that so? Have you tested this theory, or are you just following the common misconception that there is a positive correlation between wealth and in

Yes thier is evidence for a colleration bewteen Iq and wealth, but i said that a lower avaerge Iq for the working class is only part of the probelem, I also think that the education system is at fault to
Because lack of social mobility allows the ruling elite to be kept in their place at the top, while the average person struggles. As long as the upper class are in power, it won't change.

So everyone should be equal and your average joe who knows next to nothing about real politics should be in power?

Russia called...
Original post by uktotalgamer
So everyone should be equal and your average joe who knows next to nothing about real politics should be in power?

Russia called...

The average joe should be taught about politics so that they understand what they are voting for at least; he should receive the same opportunities within education as those in the elite classes, and have the same opportunities for success.
This is not what happens at the moment, for some of the reason I touched on in my original post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending