The Student Room Group

Politics and film (science fiction) masters degree?

Hi everyone,

I'm a politics and history grad of 2012 and have been interning in public affairs and pr for nearly a year.

I've been thinking that I'd quite like to do a masters in something interesting and have thought about the politics of science fiction e.g examining how political theory is actually used in the majority of sci fi. But, I'm not sure what degree this would fall under- English or politics? And would this help me in getting a job in public affairs or more helpful to my alternative career in film criticism?

Man met do a contemporary film and literature course which this might fit in with but I was hoping to do it more with a politics base. Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Original post by gingerbread_traveller
I'm not sure what degree this would fall under- English or politics?

I think you might be best served in a department of film studies. Here's one: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/filmstudies/
Thanks- and yes degree, ideally I'd like to do a Masters in politics but I don't know if this would be allowed as a dissertation topic.
Reply 3
You could always contact a couple of likely departments informally and ask them about your potential diss topic.
A few years back in LSE, a coursemate at the MSc International Relations did their dissertation on International Relations Theory and Science Fiction. I remember Star Trek being one of the examples. So you may be surprised on the flexibility of "traditional" politics/IR departments. Though I can't say that the person got much out of the taught-courses on the Sci Fi side.

Of course, ask first.
Original post by gingerbread_traveller
Hi everyone,

I'm a politics and history grad of 2012 and have been interning in public affairs and pr for nearly a year.

I've been thinking that I'd quite like to do a masters in something interesting and have thought about the politics of science fiction e.g examining how political theory is actually used in the majority of sci fi. But, I'm not sure what degree this would fall under- English or politics? And would this help me in getting a job in public affairs or more helpful to my alternative career in film criticism?

Man met do a contemporary film and literature course which this might fit in with but I was hoping to do it more with a politics base. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I would look at Liverpool, as they have a Science Fiction center which I believe is interdisciplinary. I study SF too, from a cultural studies angle, but I am in an English department. I can definitely recommend English departments that might fit your interests, but I get the sense that might not be your ideal...
(edited 11 years ago)
You also could think about MA's in Cultural Studies ( e.g. those at Goldsmiths or Nottingham) as that would seem the ideal place (to me...but I'm biased, of course) to do a project such as the one you are thinking of.

Also - feel free to message me outside of this thread if you want to discuss in more detail.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending