The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham vs University of Birmingham

Which one would you rather go to, if you had to pick one. Why?

Any comments, opinions, views or whatever would be very much appreciated. :biggrin:
In this case I'd be going to study L100 BSc Economics at one of the two institutions stated above but want to go to each equally as much.

Help?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow.

I have to make a choice between the two & have been sitting for hours online & googling the exact same thing!

I've applied for Msc International Business.
Reply 2
haha have gotten anywhere at all with your decision?
Experience: Birmingham (in my opinion)

I don't think it matters, as they are both really good. Where do YOU want to go. :biggrin:
Original post by Icycandle

Any comments, opinions, views or whatever would be very much appreciated. :biggrin:
In this case I'd be going to study L100 BSc Economics at one of the two institutions stated above but want to go to each equally as much.

Help?!

I had to make this decision myself the other day for Geography! Despite the better course at Birmingham, I ultimately chose Nottingham - I just lived the campus and the city and I could imagine myself living there. Although Birmingham is a fantastic university, I just didn't fall for it in the same way I fell for Nottingham.

Word of warning, reject Birmingham and you'll get a huge 'decliners survey' which feels like shooting a puppy.
Reply 5
I would rather go to University of Birmingham. The campus is amazing.

Help?!

In terms of reputation, Nottingham is routinely ranked higher, has higher entry tariff and grade requirements, and is more well known for having a rigorous economics program - last year they turned people down with an excuse of "you had less than 7-8 A*s at GCSE" :colondollar:

I would pick Nottingham, but I suppose if you valued other things like student life and location you might prefer Birmingham.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
haha have gotten anywhere at all with your decision?

I'm kind of biased towards Nottingham but Birmingham has some good scholarship options. So i'm in two minds. What about you?

P.S : Though in all rankings, Nottingham is higher up than Bham!
Reply 8
The thing is I have been to Birmingham but not to Nottingham. Although I hear such great things about it. And I don't dare put the two on firm and conditional because they're both asking for AAA and if I don't happen to make them for whatever rotten reason then im screwed.

BCU is my conditional, it only asks for BBC. Having a birmingham university as my conditional I'm considering whether to go apply to Nottingham as my firm.

Dilemma = I have not been to Nottingham before although I do have a few friends there who keep selling it to me so well. :redface:
Not that rankings matter, but Bham isn't actually lower than Notts in most tabloid rankings.
And internationally, Bham always outranks Notts. And it's more recognised internationally, due to the size of the city.

Domestic reputation, Notts>Bham for Economics, id say. The difference is small, IMO it comes down individual preferences, not prestige, when choosing between Bham and Notts.
Reply 10
Original post by The Polymath
In terms of reputation, Nottingham is routinely ranked higher, has higher entry tariff and grade requirements, and is more well known for having a rigorous economics program - last year they turned people down with an excuse of "you had less than 7-8 A*s at GCSE" :colondollar:

I would pick Nottingham, but I suppose if you valued other things like student life and location you might prefer Birmingham.

Love the name haha.

Anyways, i dont think last years excuse is still standing because I've only got two A's and almost a dozen or so B's but still got a conditional. On valentines day. I'm feeling the love Nottingham, I'm feeling the love haha. In my defence I do think my personal statement was pretty damn strong though.
Love the name haha.

Anyways, i dont think last years excuse is still standing because I've only got two A's and almost a dozen or so B's but still got a conditional. On valentines day. I'm feeling the love Nottingham, I'm feeling the love haha. In my defence I do think my personal statement was pretty damn strong though.

Nice :smile: My personal statement was only 20% economics - the rest was all language/linguistics :tongue:
Original post by St. Brynjar
I had to make this decision myself the other day for Geography! Despite the better course at Birmingham, I ultimately chose Nottingham - I just lived the campus and the city and I could imagine myself living there. Although Birmingham is a fantastic university, I just didn't fall for it in the same way I fell for Nottingham.

Word of warning, reject Birmingham and you'll get a huge 'decliners survey' which feels like shooting a puppy.

Really?...... Well it'll suck to fill that out...
Reply 13
Original post by St. Brynjar

I'd probably tell 'em to sod off if I did end up rejecting them. I mean I rejected you for a reason why would I then waste my time on your survey..

Original post by tulips17
I would rather go to University of Birmingham. The campus is amazing.

It is, isn't it :biggrin: I fell in love.

Original post by The Polymath

Is student life in Nottingham not so great then?

Original post by Sak7
I'm kind of biased towards Nottingham but Birmingham has some good scholarship options. So i'm in two minds. What about you?

P.S : Though in all rankings, Nottingham is higher up than Bham!

The scholarships are pretty much great at Birmingham university however I think the opportunity for studying abroad at the university of Nottingham is one hell of upside to going there. *sigh* I DONT KNOW. I SHOULD PROBABLY VISIT NOTTINGHAM AND THEN DECIDE WHICH CITY I LIKE MORE. You can probably see why I started this thread now.. :/

Original post by amineamine2
Not that rankings matter, but Bham isn't actually lower than Notts in most tabloid rankings.
And internationally, Bham always outranks Notts. And it's more recognised internationally, due to the size of the city.

Domestic reputation, Notts>Bham for Economics, id say. The difference is small, IMO it comes down individual preferences, not prestige, when choosing between Bham and Notts.

Thanks for clearing that up, looks like I'm going to have to visit Notts and decide which campus and city I fall more in love with.

Is student life in Nottingham not so great then?

I wasn't implying anything at all, just that reputation/course rigour might not be everything to you. If both universities were in the same place I would go with Nottingham though.
Reply 15

The scholarships are pretty much great at Birmingham university however I think the opportunity for studying abroad at the university of Nottingham is one hell of upside to going there. *sigh* I DONT KNOW. I SHOULD PROBABLY VISIT NOTTINGHAM AND THEN DECIDE WHICH CITY I LIKE MORE. You can probably see why I started this thread now.. :/

Thanks for clearing that up, looks like I'm going to have to visit Notts and decide which campus and city I fall more in love with.

Yes well, These are the reasons I'm so confused myself! haha you should probably visit notts and do let me know which campus you like better. Make my decision a lil easier. :biggrin:
The thing is I have been to Birmingham but not to Nottingham. Although I hear such great things about it. And I don't dare put the two on firm and conditional because they're both asking for AAA and if I don't happen to make them for whatever rotten reason then im screwed.

BCU is my conditional, it only asks for BBC. Having a birmingham university as my conditional I'm considering whether to go apply to Nottingham as my firm.

Dilemma = I have not been to Nottingham before although I do have a few friends there who keep selling it to me so well. :redface:

You need to visit perspective unis! Your heart will tell which one is for you. Trust me and go visit Nottingham before you make a decision.
Reply 17
It is, isn't it :biggrin: I fell in love.

Me too! :smile: You should visit Nottingham and then decide which university you can see yourself living in for the next 3 years.
Reply 18
I've had this dilemma as well! Since I first saw Birmingham last year I fell in love; the campus was so nice, loved the accommodation, loved the city.
But I was always in turmoil as I knew that Nottingham had a slightly better reputation.
I went to Nottingham's visit day this week, and I just didn't get the same feeling about the university nor the city as I did with Birmingham.
So I think I'm going with Birmingham. Eeek hope it's the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I live in Birmingham, so perhaps that's the fundamental reason why I'm going for Nottingham; mainly for a change of scene and a new start! It's also a very beautiful and compact city.

Take nothing away from Birmingham though, it is a nice city; the city center is perhaps one of the greatest in the country, you literally have everything in a relatively small space. It has some awesome leafy areas as well.

I would be distraught if I didn't live in Birmingham, and had to choose between the two; so good luck! Make sure you visit both though to be sure :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending