The Student Room Group

semi permanent dye with the best staying power?

I currently use directions but it's just too expensive to keep dying and I hate losing the amount of colour that comes out in the first wash!
So just wondering if anyone knew any better brand that has as good a range of colours but stays in better?
Reply 1
Hi, I currently use a Garnier Nutrisse dye to colour my hair red. I've been using it for several months now, and I've never noticed the colour fading... It's only when my roots start showing that I need to think about dying it again. And this is only every month or so. The only problem I have, is that everytime I wash my hair, the water turns pink! But apparently this is common with red hair dyes. What colour are you thinking of dying it?
And do you use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners?
Reply 2
I've heard good things about Manic Panic and Special Effects. There is another hair dye which has some more tamer colours called Adore. The first two can be a bit pricey but it maybe good looking for some reviews about them and giving them a try.

When you dye your hair, how long do you leave it on for? I know some people which put it on and leave it in their hair overnight and it can last them significantly longer.

I've read that Special Effects and Manic Panic dyes can last aprox 2-6 weeks depending on the shade.

I remember when I was using Directions to dye my hair blue, I ended up just dying it black because I just couldn't maintain it. I would even use dry shampoo just to delay washing it for an extra day :frown:
It will naturally bleed, especially if it is a darker shade. Wash in cold water and try a vinegar rinse after dyeing it. The long lasting brands will be salon brands, some of which can be hard to find. Adore is already mentioned, then there's Pravana, Ion Brilliants (or something like that), Goldwell Elumen etc. Special Effects is probably the best non-salon brand, but it is even more expensive than Directions. Directions is probably of the best quality for a cheap price. Personally, I would avoid Manic Panic unless for a few select shades.
I think it depends on your hair type and texture! I dyed my hair with a loreal casting creme gloss in dark chocolate, and it took months and months for me to get my natural colour back! I hated how long it took, tried loads of different shampoos to get rid of it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I've found that Directions dyes are really difficult to get to stay in, I've had a bit more success with Stargazer. Live Colour XXL ones seem to be the best, but you don't get the same range of colours you do with Directions (although I think they have just added some new ones). Manic Panic is good but too expensive to keep re-dying with, and I wouldn't choose it over Stargazer or Live Colour. I wouldn't recommend Crazy Colours, it's pretty similar to Directions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending