The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Computer Science now needs A*AA?

Scroll to see replies

I'll try and summarise this topic for anyone who reads this and now wants a second opinion about UCL CS.

A couple of the OP's points are definitely worth considering. The UCL course seems to be heavily laden with term-long written project reports. I personally wrote about 30,000 words in reports this year. I agree that it's not the most natural assessment pattern for computer science and I'm not really sure what the department's justification for it is. The reports usually accompany software engineering projects -- of which there are many in the current syllabus. I attribute this to the fact that UCL doesn't offer a dedicated software engineering qualification so the CS course tends to be a conglomerate of theory and practice.

Most of the common lecturers are actually decent. Graham Roberts is a bit boring but totally competent, Kevin Bryson is solid (and a great guy to boot), Steve Hailes seems to know anything about everything, Mark Handley does a great first year robotics module, etc. There's a couple of average lecturers and then there's one or two who really have no place teaching at a university (like Philip Treleaven who me and the OP both agree is incompetent). I guess it's pretty much like any uni in that respect.

Overall, I think the syllabus could be improved but it's by no means awful. The compulsory modules are basically a tour through the fundamentals of CS (with quite a lot of practical/software engineering stuff heaped on) but a couple of them (e.g. 3rd year Technology Management and Professional Issues -- effectively a look at such fascinating industry topics as software licensing and IPR) border on laughable for compulsory modules on a computer science course.

The OP's points are not fabricated but they are overstated, in my opinion. To each their own! I reckon I would find things I would want to change about any CS course I did.
(edited 10 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
What does report writing includes? Isn't good code and commenting it qualifies ? In real world, clients want working products, not reports. You can ask them about system design they want by phoning them lol.
Reply 22
Original post by trolololol
I'll try and summarise this topic for anyone who reads this and now wants a second opinion about UCL CS.

A couple of the OP's points are definitely worth considering. The UCL course seems to be heavily laden with term-long written project reports. I personally wrote about 30,000 words in reports this year. I agree that it's not the most natural assessment pattern for computer science and I'm not really sure what the department's justification for it is. The reports usually accompany software engineering projects -- of which there are many in the current syllabus. I attribute this to the fact that UCL doesn't offer a dedicated software engineering qualification so the CS course tends to be a conglomerate of theory and practice.

Most of the common lecturers are actually decent. Graham Roberts is a bit boring but totally competent, Kevin Bryson is solid (and a great guy to boot), Steve Hailes seems to know anything about everything, Mark Handley does a great first year robotics module, etc. There's a couple of average lecturers and then there's one or two who really have no place teaching at a university (like Philip Treleaven who me and the OP both agree is incompetent). I guess it's pretty much like any uni in that respect.

Overall, I think the syllabus could be improved but it's by no means awful. The compulsory modules are basically a tour through the fundamentals of CS (with quite a lot of practical/software engineering stuff heaped on) but a couple of them (e.g. 3rd year Technology Management and Professional Issues -- effectively a look at such fascinating industry topics as software licensing and IPR) border on laughable for compulsory modules on a computer science course.

The OP's points are not fabricated but they are overstated, in my opinion. To each their own! I reckon I would find things I would want to change about any CS course I did.

I got rejected by Imperial.

Do you think I should attempt a Transfer. I don't want a Comp Sci degree which is not rigorous. Unfortunately there are no other great Universities in London.
Original post by Better

Do you think I should attempt a Transfer. I don't want a Comp Sci degree which is not rigorous. Unfortunately there are no other great Universities in London.

Sorry, but can I ask what kind of grades you got at AS?

I'm looking to apply this summer, and I need to know whether or not I should bother?
Reply 24
Original post by brawlerpit
Sorry, but can I ask what kind of grades you got at AS?

I'm looking to apply this summer, and I need to know whether or not I should bother?

4A's. Predicted A*A*A.
Reply 25
My ex studied computer science at UCL and I used to help him out with some of his maths modules... It was A level FM standard even when he was in second year!

A lot of his homeworks counted towards their final mark which means you can easily work with friends and get a first without it even being your own work. Courseworks were mostly group projects but it seemed quite fun.

All in all, I was always a bit jealous of UCL social scene compared to that of LSE. The comp Sci course seems good although not sure why its A*AA

Also he missed his offer by a grade and he still got in so maybe they're a bit lenient with some people?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Better
4A's. Predicted A*A*A.

WHAT? How did you get rejected then...
*facepalm*
Reply 27
Original post by mysongbook
My ex studied computer science at UCL and I used to help him out with some of his maths modules... It was A level FM standard even when he was in second year!

A lot of his homeworks counted towards their final mark which means you can easily work with friends and get a first without it even being your own work. Courseworks were mostly group projects but it seemed quite fun.

All in all, I was always a bit jealous of UCL social scene compared to that of LSE. The comp Sci course seems good although not sure why its A*AA

Also he missed his offer by a grade and he still got in so maybe they're a bit lenient with some people?

I'm not too fussed about the Social Scene to be honest. If you have money and you are in London, you can socialize as crazily as you want.

I am more interested in the Reputation of the Department and Course for when I apply for Post Graduate in France/USA.

Imperial would have been ideal, to affirm my status as a true Nerd. They are going to start introducing their own Exams etc.

So frustrating.
Reply 28
WHAT? How did you get rejected then...
*facepalm*

Imperial is the best Engineering School in Europe along with Polytechnique in Paris, France.

An offer is pretty much a pot-lock draw, like LSE Applications, some people get in with pretty mediocre personal statements but amazing grades i.e. a Friend had 7A's at AS-Level, and some people might not get in due to other factors unknown.

It is what it is. Just trying to see how I can get a year abroad or transfer.

Unfortunately no other Universites I would like to travel too. I understand Durham sometimes allows people to transfer via Adjustment but it's in the middle of nowhere otherwise I would get my grades and try to transfer to do Maths and Physics.

If i want internships I need to be in London. ARGH. DAMN YOU IMPERIAL!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Better
Imperial is the best Engineering School in Europe along with Polytechnique in Paris, France.

An offer is pretty much a pot-lock draw, like LSE Applications, some people get in with pretty mediocre personal statements but amazing grades i.e. a Friend had 7A's at AS-Level, and some people might not get in due to other factors unknown.

It is what it is. Just trying to see how I can get a year abroad or transfer.

Unfortunately no other Universites I would like to travel too. I understand Durham sometimes allows people to transfer via Adjustment but it's in the middle of nowhere otherwise I would get my grades and try to transfer to do Maths and Physics.

If i want internships I need to be in London. ARGH. DAMN YOU IMPERIAL!!!

Wow, but your grades are really good, that kind of sucks though - I'm going to have to find out what all Imperial Candidates have in common (apart from ridiculously good grades).

Durham is far, even if it is good.

Didn't you apply to UCL or KCL? Those are probably the best in London, if you ignore Imperial...
Reply 30
Wow, but your grades are really good, that kind of sucks though - I'm going to have to find out what all Imperial Candidates have in common (apart from ridiculously good grades).

Durham is far, even if it is good.

Didn't you apply to UCL or KCL? Those are probably the best in London, if you ignore Imperial...

UCL is A*AA. So I am working my butt off!!! As long as I can get those types of grades, given my Extra-Curricular profile, and national level awards etc I should be able to get into top US Colleges.

KCL - backup AAB. I applied for some scholarship, I didn't hear back fast enough so I firmed UCL. Kings isn't respected in the UK. Ironically it is respected highly in America and Europe though. They gave me a low offer probably due to my Extra-Curriculars. Alot of people on this forum got AAA and A*AA for the same course at Kings.

Yeah cheers, as Long as I focus on what truly matters - becoming a Great Academic then doors will open.
Reply 31
Does anyone have any opinions on Kings vs UCL Computer Science???

Why is Kings ranked so lowly, if it wasn't I would do Maths and Comp Sci at Kings instead.
Original post by Better

I've looked at the Imperial CS syllabus and it doesn't really seem to have anything that the UCL course doesn't. I'd say it's definitely worth thinking about.
Original post by mysongbook

This is true. There's a second year calculus module which doesn't go far beyond A-level further maths. The statistics module in the second year doesn't go far beyond, say, S2/S3. Although, due to some odd structuring, second year is actually the first time there are any proper maths modules. It's not exactly like they were building up to it.

The stated purpose of the 2nd year maths and stats course is a refresher and to make sure everyone is at the same standard of competence before anything that actually involves difficult maths comes along.

There is a first year discrete maths/abstract algebra course but that goes way beyond what anyone would've learned at A-level as far as I know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I've looked at the Imperial CS syllabus and it doesn't really seem to have anything that the UCL course doesn't. I'd say it's definitely worth thinking about.

Thank you for the reply. I'm just freaking out a bit.

What is your opinion on the KCL vs UCL Computer Science. I put UCL as my Firm and KCL as my insurance.
Original post by Better
Thank you for the reply. I'm just freaking out a bit.

What is your opinion on the KCL vs UCL Computer Science. I put UCL as my Firm and KCL as my insurance.

I just had a quick look at the syllabus for you and it looks very, very much like the UCL course. Based on their relative league table positions, I'd say you probably made the right decision overall. But KCL does seem to offer a very similar course so I think you'd be fine either way.
Reply 36
I just had a quick look at the syllabus for you and it looks very, very much like the UCL course. Based on their relative league table positions, I'd say you probably made the right decision overall. But KCL does seem to offer a very similar course so I think you'd be fine either way.

Thanks alot mate! I salute you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending