The Student Room Group

Would The British Government Pay For My Education?

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian Uni student with British citizenship (through my father). I am thinking about transferring to the UK next year to continue with my studies. Thing is, I'm dirt poor and will not be able to pay for it. I am currently living off of student loans. I wouldn't be able to afford to pay back all the money an international student owes. So I was wondering how the government would be able to help me out with this, since I have next to no understanding of the British educational system.

Thank you for your time.
You would have to pay the standing fee of about £9k, however I think that is about it unless you intend on living on campus in which case you would need to pay for things like rent and stuff as well as books etc... although you could just go to the library for that.

You may be able to apply for a bursary but they wouldn't pay the whole thing for you.
I know teachers get bursaries for their studies based on whatever they teach. Example, if you want to be a science teacher and you have a first, you can apply for a £20,000 bursary.

Look into it.

Link to something which could be useful for you:
https://www.gov.uk/extra-money-pay-university

Good luck. =)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
My housemate is French but he has dual nationality through his dad (British), and he doesn't get anything because he has always lived in France. Think you have to live here for 3 yrs before you're entitled to anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Tiina
My housemate is French but he has dual nationality through his dad (British), and he doesn't get anything because he has always lived in France. Think you have to live here for 3 yrs before you're entitled to anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those 3 years have to be for a reason other than education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending