The Student Room Group

Advice Needed!

I recently met someone new and we have been seeing each other for about 6 weeks now. We went out for dinner on valentines day and since we are not an official item, I didnt think that presents would be exchanged, so bought him nothing. However after the meal he surprised me with a lovely watch and earings, and I had to awkwardly explain to him that I hadnt bought him a present. He seemed fine with this at the time but we have since had quite a heated argument which ended with him telling me to get in touch when I "changed back to the girl he used to like." I have tried to explain to him how sorry I am (I genuinly feel terrible) and that as this was my first time doing anything for valentines (I have never had a boyfriend) I wasnt quite sure what the protocal was and that I want to make it up to him, however he doesnt seem to have taken any notice.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do next? :frown:

Do I text him first an apologise and ask to just forget the whole situation, or do I wait for him to make a move? Any advice much appreciated!
Reply 1
I think it was a bit forward of him to go all out with the jewellery but maybe that just shows how much he likes you? Did you even get him a card? Call him and tell him you've arranged something special, book a table somewhere and buy him a small gift that shows what he means to you, prove to him that you haven't changed and that he's worth making an effort for!
Reply 2
I agree. I think it was a bit forward, and you were obviously not expecting it.
But I really don't think it was something he could go off his head at and I don't understand how it means you've changed in any way. It really was just a simple mistake.

I'd text him and apologise, but don't go over the top and send text after text if he doesn't reply! haha. I'm sure if he's a nice guy he'll realise how bad you feel and it'll be okay :smile:
Original post by Luc_
I think it was a bit forward of him to go all out with the jewellery but maybe that just shows how much he likes you? Did you even get him a card? Call him and tell him you've arranged something special, book a table somewhere and buy him a small gift that shows what he means to you, prove to him that you haven't changed and that he's worth making an effort for!

No I didn't even get a card :/ I feel horrible! I don't want him to think I am taking advantage of his good nature or anything, I think I will take your advice and ask him out to dinner. Any idea of what a good present would be? As you can probably tell I'm rather new to this haha!
Original post by AliBali
I agree. I think it was a bit forward, and you were obviously not expecting it.
But I really don't think it was something he could go off his head at and I don't understand how it means you've changed in any way. It really was just a simple mistake.

I'd text him and apologise, but don't go over the top and send text after text if he doesn't reply! haha. I'm sure if he's a nice guy he'll realise how bad you feel and it'll be okay :smile:

Im glad you agree! Yeah I'll send him a simple text apologising for the argument, I guess I will just need to wait and see how things progress! I'm really hoping it works out, fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending