The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kirsty999
is the open office or any of these free download versions available on windows 8? i have tried to download the open office but it just say's restricted by administrator?

That has nothing to do with the software but your computer. The privileges settings may have be set to strict therefore you can no longer install it without being an administrator.
Original post by OU Student
Just got myself a netbook and not sure where my version of Microsoft Office is, or even if there's a licence on it.

Bloke at PC World said we can get it for £120 including anti virus. Software4Students (he claimed I couldn't get it from there as I don't have a UCAS number - it says on the website I only need a .ac.uk email address) sell it for £100 and it's £98 on Amazon.

That's the 2013 version. Is there much difference between them and previous versions please?

Original post by Bude8
Sometimes I think it's best to stick with older versions. This guy told me about how some formats of the newer versions will be incompatible with older versions and this might be a problem if sending a CV or something. Ofc you will be able to save it in a different format but it's a minor issue, but I don't think there will be any other major differences. Is there really something you need to do but can't, with 2007 or 2010?

This is why you should save a .docx as default, all versions of Word down to 2003 can read these files.

Never believe what someone is PC World tells you, honestly, they will lie through their teeth to get a sale. I was in there buying a laptop for my dad a few weeks ago, the guy was talking a load of bull**** and the look on his face soon changed when I basically pointed out everything he had was bull****. He wasn't trying to flog us a laptop case or antivirus once he realised I actually knew something about PCs.

You don't need to buy an anti-virus, there a plenty of good free ones (AVG/Avast).
I haven't used it, but I'm pretty sure there will be very little difference between 2010 and 2013 for what you want to use it for. The cheapest I found 2010 was http://www.vegascart.co.uk/microsoft-office-home-student-2010-download/ for £70, from the reviews it looks to be an OK site.

If you don't want to buy fromt here the best secure option I found was Ebuyer, £91 for 2010, £97 for 2013.
Reply 22
Sorry to correct, but it's 2007 and above that can read .docx files by default. 2003 can read them, but the compatibility pack must also be installed.

2010 is quickly being phased out, and to be honest there's hardly any difference between this and 2013, so there's no real reason to get 2010.

Also, avoid Office 365 unless the benefits are if real use to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Torrent it if you have no moral obligations, it's fairly easy to do :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by OU Student

Yeah, my brother did say there are some decent free ones. But apparently, Windows 8 doesn't like Microsoft Security Essentials.

QUOTE]

Windows 8 uses Windows Defender instead of Microsoft Security Essentials, it does a fine job!

Office 365 University is your best bet for Office! I find the free versions like OpenOffice and LibreOffice are a bit ****.

LibreOffice does a stupid thing borders in excel files so you have to keep reducing the size if you work on the same file in LibreOffice and Excel.

Latest

Trending

Trending