The Student Room Group

First car - Ford Fiesta - mileage question!

Hi guys :smile:
I'm buying my first car tomorrow, and I've narrowed down my choices to two diesel Ford Fiestas.

They both have very similar specs and are exactly the same price, with identical insurance (£1595, fully comp, me as named driver with two other drivers). I'll only be driving at weekends at the moment, as I'm at uni. I won't be taking the car with me until next year, so I will not be the main driver until September.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the mileage - one is a '54 plate and has 88K on the clock (two owners), whereas the other is slightly newer with an '06 plate, but has done 125K with only 1 owner.

Any ideas as to which would be the better option based on mileage?
Reply 1
It would ultimately depend on the condition of the cars.

Have you looked at/considered any of the following.

How much MOT and tax they have left,

Condition of the tyres,

Is the service history present and up to date, you probably won't get a full main dealer service history with a car this old. But there should a clear indication that the previous owner(s) have looked after the car,

Are there any major expenses looming on either like a major service or cam belt change.

Reply 2
Original post by KCLeblanc
It would ultimately depend on the condition of the cars.

Have you looked at/considered any of the following.

How much MOT and tax they have left,

Condition of the tyres,

Is the service history present and up to date, you probably won't get a full main dealer service history with a car this old. But there should a clear indication that the previous owner(s) have looked after the car,

Are there any major expenses looming on either like a major service or cam belt change.

According to the garages, one ('06) is MOT'd until November and the other is/has been MOT'd "prior to delivery" (I'm assuming they mean delivery to the garage?). '06 is definitely taxed although I'm not sure for how long.

I guess with the tyres and the service history etc I'll have to wait until I've seen both cars in person, so I can get all the details in writing.

At the moment it's just a case of personal preference so I'll see which one I get a feel for :rolleyes:
The other thing you may have noticed is the '06 may POSSIBLY be the 'bubble facelift' model, with a new interior and facelifted headlights etc.
Reply 4
Original post by 1christopher
The other thing you may have noticed is the '06 may POSSIBLY be the 'bubble facelift' model, with a new interior and facelifted headlights etc.

I think it is, from the photos I've seen it looks like a different stereo, plus the lights etc on the dashboard look a lot different. Can't really tell from the pictures of the exterior.
Just a bit worried about the much higher mileage on the '06...

Quick Reply

Latest