The Student Room Group

Which further maths modules require the least background knowledge?

Ok. Here is my situation. Currently in year 12, doing normal maths (C1,2, S1). I want to do further maths by myself, at least upto AS. I started looking at Fp1, but that requires knowledge from C3, which I have not covered yet.

My question is, which of the other further maths modules require the least amount of knowledge from outside of C1/C2/S1?

Scroll to see replies

FP1 doesn't require C3?

But if you learn differentiation and integration from C3 only then you can tackle the applied modules as well... S2/M2.

But you'd need M1 to do M2 which I'm guessing you'll do next,year..
Original post by Dalilsp
Ok. Here is my situation. Currently in year 12, doing normal maths (C1,2, S1). I want to do further maths by myself, at least upto AS. I started looking at Fp1, but that requires knowledge from C3, which I have not covered yet.

My question is, which of the other further maths modules require the least amount of knowledge from outside of C1/C2/S1?

D1 and D2 require knowing how to count, and that's literally it :colondollar:

M1 doesn't have any prerequisites other than being comfortable with C1-level algebra.

FP1 shouldn't require C3 - our students learn it alongside C2.
Original post by The Polymath
D1 and D2 require knowing how to count, and that's literally it :colondollar:

M1 doesn't have any prerequisites other than being comfortable with C1-level algebra.

FP1 shouldn't require C3 - our students learn it alongside C2.

Your students? :rofl:
Reply 4
So to sum up, D1 requires little to no knowledge, M1 requires C1 algebra, Fp1 is max C1/2... Hmmm someone lied to me :|

Which would be the best to start off with now? In your opinions?
Reply 5
FP1 does not require c3 knowledge, stuff like iteration comes up in C3, it does not mean that newton raphson is hard, its just plugging numbers into formulas other then that I barely see any C3 correlations between the two, FP1 is a fairly unique module which introduces you to somewhat sounding complicated maths, but stuff like matrices/proof by induction becomes easy with practice.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Your students? :rofl:

I mean students at my school :tongue:

(although I have taught C1 lunch classes, so technically.. :colone:)
Reply 7
Original post by Dalilsp
So to sum up, D1 requires little to no knowledge, M1 requires C1 algebra, Fp1 is max C1/2... Hmmm someone lied to me :|

Are you trying to complete the AS this year? Because its arguable to say that if you started now 1-2modules would be wise, not all 3. I started self-teaching in mid November, done with fp1 and nearly finished with m1, I don't think cramming will get you the best grade honestly.
Original post by Dalilsp

M1
FP1
D1 (I have no idea)

Original post by The Polymath
I mean students at my school :tongue:

(although I have taught C1 lunch classes, so technically.. :colone:)

:lol: thought so :wink:

I should do that next year :teeth:
Reply 9
I have no problem with doing the AS FM exams externally next January or so. I just would like the qualification as the courses I am thinking of doing in University may require FM. Which I did not take :frown: Stupid biology =p
Original post by Dalilsp

M1
M2
FP1.

You should know that I'm completely biased towards mechanics :smile:
Fp1
m1
d1
s2
Depends on your exam board. If you are on MEI then D1 and NM would require the least knowledge. D1 across all boards requires the least background knowledge
Reply 13
Edexcel is the exam board.. I think I may try M1 first, and then choose between M2 and FP1. I will be finishing C2 within the next week or so (working on this stuff earlier than class) and so I may go onto C3. Hopefully if all goes well I will be able to finish M1, M2/FP1, C3, C4 before September 2013. Is this at all possible? Summer holidays are long and boring, so this is a way of getting it less boring. (I prefer maths over chemistry and biology and music)
Reply 14
I did m1,m2 and fp1. You hardly need to know any c3 to tackle m2 you just need to know what e^ax, differentiates and integrates to. Differentiation and integration of sin(x) and cos(x) and that 1/ax+b integrates to (1/a)ln(ax+b). I did m2 alongside m1,fp1,c1,c2 and s1. In my opinion its easier than m1.
Original post by Dalilsp
Edexcel is the exam board.. I think I may try M1 first, and then choose between M2 and FP1. I will be finishing C2 within the next week or so (working on this stuff earlier than class) and so I may go onto C3. Hopefully if all goes well I will be able to finish M1, M2/FP1, C3, C4 before September 2013. Is this at all possible? Summer holidays are long and boring, so this is a way of getting it less boring. (I prefer maths over chemistry and biology and music)

Depends on how much work you are willing to put in, but it is possible. I'd advise you to do C3 and C4 first, and then FP1 will be a breeze! :smile:
Reply 16
I did further maths last year , and u don't need any background knowledge in particular to study FP1 , whereas you need to do M1 and S1 before doing M2 and S2 and C1-C4 to do FP2 and .

safe
Not sure if it's the same for all exam boards but I'm pretty sure my board (MEI) required you to do FP1 for AS further.
Yep, Edexcel is exactly the same, do get the AS in Further Maths you need to have done FP1...decision made :tongue:
Personally I'd go for D1 and S2 as your others if you're doing M1 for Maths next year
I'd say D1 doesn't require any previous knowledge, however I found it really tedious to begin with so I switched it to S1 :smile:
This year I'm doing C1 (have completed), C2, M1 in normal Maths, and FP1, M2, S1 in Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest