The Student Room Group

Which further maths modules require the least background knowledge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You can fly through m1/d1/s1 with about 3 days each for them.
Reply 21
Original post by Robbie242
Are you trying to complete the AS this year? Because its arguable to say that if you started now 1-2modules would be wise, not all 3. I started self-teaching in mid November, done with fp1 and nearly finished with m1, I don't think cramming will get you the best grade honestly.

M1 is a bitch
Original post by madfish
M1 is a bitch

Totally agree.
Reply 23
Original post by madfish
M1 is a bitch
It certainly is, but doable with diagrams. Finished with ch3 today, then starting and finishing statics of a particle next week, I hope S2 is way easier than this, because this one really gets you thinking outside the box as they say
M1 is the hardest of the 1's but it's not that bad..
Reply 25
It certainly is, but doable with diagrams. Finished with ch3 today, then starting and finishing statics of a particle next week, I hope S2 is way easier than this, because this one really gets you thinking outside the box as they say
Diagrams are a must. I personally think Physics helps a lot too.

I hope to have newtons laws done by tuesday as well as applications of differentiation from C2 as well as revise for my theory driving test that is on tuesday as well. oh! And I am also getting up to go for a 30mile cycle tomorrow morning at 7oclock tomorrow morning #comeatmebrahhhh :awesome:

Robbie- how many hours of work do you do a day? And how many hours of mechanics alone? I am trying to gauge what amount of work I myself should be doing
Reply 26
Original post by madfish
Diagrams are a must. I personally think Physics helps a lot too.

I hope to have newtons laws done by tuesday as well as applications of differentiation from C2 as well as revise for my theory driving test that is on tuesday as well. oh! And I am also getting up to go for a 30mile cycle tomorrow morning at 7oclock tomorrow morning #comeatmebrahhhh :awesome:

Robbie- how many hours of work do you do a day? And how many hours of mechanics alone? I am trying to gauge what amount of work I myself should be doing
Woah, I do certainly less other stuff than you, that's quite impressive. On logs on c2 atm, done differentiation, polynomials, sine and cosine, circles.

I work about 12hours a day on weekends, about about 3-5 on weekdays + school, It's really hard to self teach all this maths so most of my time is spent doing maths.
Reply 27
Woah, I do certainly less other stuff than you, that's quite impressive. On logs on c2 atm, done differentiation, polynomials, sine and cosine, circles.

I work about 12hours a day on weekends, about about 3-5 on weekdays + school, It's really hard to self teach all this maths so most of my time is spent doing maths.

wowwww 12 hours! Thats insane! Do you know how to do this M1 question: "A moving particle encounters two rough areas, each 10m wide. The coefficients of friction for the two areas are 0.2 and 0.4 respectively. Find the minimum initial speed of the particle if it makes it across the two areas"

Feel free to message me privately as I don't want to hi-jack the OP's thread :P Only if you want to though :smile: thanks again:smile:
Reply 28
Original post by The Polymath
D1 and D2 require knowing how to count, and that's literally it :colondollar:

M1 doesn't have any prerequisites other than being comfortable with C1-level algebra.

FP1 shouldn't require C3 - our students learn it alongside C2.

Does D2 on Edexcel require a lot of previous knowledge from Edexcel D1? I took D1 last year (looking to do D2 now) although have forgotten pretty much all of it.
Reply 29
Id rather not do D1/2 as it sounds really boring and lacking in real mathematical content. I reckon i might try FP1 along with M1 atm. I revised a topic in like 2 1 hour sessions and am only loosing one or two marks in the exam questions for that specific topic due to arithmetic error. I think I can do it if I put in the work.

@madfish -> Feel free to highjack :wink: Ive got the answers I need so thanks!
Reply 30
Fp1 just requires c1 and c2. Fp2 requires c3 and c4 (aswell as any prerequisites for c3 and c4).

For d2, you need to know some things from d1.

As one of the posts said . Decision modules only test whether you can do simple arithmetic and multiple operations. There's no other a level maths content from pure maths required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having done S2 this January, I have to go for S2.
Although sometimes they ask you to workout some kind of conditional probability (s1) for a few marks but hardly any knowledge from S1 is required.
Original post by dan94adibi
Having done S2 this January, I have to go for S2.
Although sometimes they ask you to workout some kind of conditional probability (s1) for a few marks but hardly any knowledge from S1 is required.

cough Normal Distribution! cough :rolleyes:
Original post by cant_think_of_name
cough Normal Distribution! cough :rolleyes:

Oh yh :facepalm:
Original post by Dalilsp
I have no problem with doing the AS FM exams externally next January or so. I just would like the qualification as the courses I am thinking of doing in University may require FM. Which I did not take :frown: Stupid biology =p

I thought there won't be any January exams next year. All this one set of exams at the end year 13 hoohaa.
Original post by Indeterminate
M1
M2
FP1.

You should know that I'm completely biased towards mechanics :smile:

FP1, D1 S2. You should know that I'm entirely against Mechanics :P
Reply 36
As am I against Statistics :P Bloody hate it :|
Reply 37
Is further AS maths hard? I would do D1,M2 and FP1. Doable over summer?
Reply 38
Original post by Dalilsp
Ok. Here is my situation. Currently in year 12, doing normal maths (C1,2, S1). I want to do further maths by myself, at least upto AS. I started looking at Fp1, but that requires knowledge from C3, which I have not covered yet.

My question is, which of the other further maths modules require the least amount of knowledge from outside of C1/C2/S1?

I'm self teaching AS Further Maths, and doing FP1 and S2, and have already done D1.

In Maths lessons, I'm doing C1, C2 and S1 this year, and C3, C4 and M1 next year.

FP1 has some relatively easy parts in it, and mathsnet is useful if you have access to it, as well as examsolutions.
D1 is very easy, and doesn't really require much maths in it, so if you want an easy module, do it (however the grade boundaries are usually high).
Reply 39
Original post by madfish
Is further AS maths hard? I would do D1,M2 and FP1. Doable over summer?

Very much so I would think. Especially since you would have no distractions, and if you did a couple of hours every day, with immediate exam practise, you could be ready for an exam for it maybe within 3 or so weeks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest