The Student Room Group

Why do British people hate success (wealth) so much....?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmpr97
Well in that case please make sure not to eat your parents food, wear the clothes they bought you and live in their house. After all that didn't come from your own self earned wealth, and it's just rewarding you, who have, on the whole, done very little to gain that food, clothing and shelter.

Technically not the same. It is their legal obligation to provide me with food, shelter etc as they are my legal guardians and are thus held accountable for my welfare. People who are given all that money shouldn't be rewarded....
Reply 161
Original post by Laurenx123x
Technically not the same. It is their legal obligation to provide me with food, shelter etc as they are my legal guardians and are thus held accountable for my welfare. People who are given all that money shouldn't be rewarded....

They're not legally made to get you an internet connection, or phone. Or any excess clothes and food and give you pocket money. If those were truly your ideals, you'd refuse anything that wasn't basic food, clothing and shelter. Or is it one rule for and and one rule for the rich because it doesn't affect you?

Also it's more, parents looking out for their children and giving them the best start in life possible and the expense of their hard work to earn that money that they're passing on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 162

Imagine you had three children and all of them had such severe autism that they couldn't work. You have managed to get a job earning enough that you can leave your children enough inheritance to enjoy the rest of their lives without having to depend on the welfare system or worry about money at all.

How would you feel about this inheritance being taxed so heavily that your children faced an uncertain future, entirely dependent on an uncertain, stingy welfare system?
Original post by rmpr97
They're not legally made to get you an internet connection, or phone. Or any excess clothes and food and give you pocket money. If those were truly your ideals, you'd refuse anything that wasn't basic food, clothing and shelter. Or is it one rule for and and one rule for the rich because it doesn't affect you?

I rarely ask for things, get given them however. Material possession and financial possession is quite different. Who are you to question my ideals? How is it fair that the money rich people get handed down isn't taxed more heavily? It just maintains the class divide.
Reply 164
I rarely ask for things, get given them however. Material possession and financial possession is quite different. Who are you to question my ideals? How is it fair that the money rich people get handed down isn't taxed more heavily? It just maintains the class divide.

Who am I to question your ideals? A person who disagrees with them because you're posting them on a debate forum.

You get given them, well then according to what you're saying you should refuse them.

How is it fair that your parents hand you down laptops and phones when you could sell them and give the money to a starving Somalian child.

Why should the rich get taxed and not the poor? Working class people hand down houses and money. I'm sure if it were your parents passing them down to you you wouldn't object.

Oh and why shouldn't it be taxed more? Because that's money that their parents have worked for, which has been taxed and property they've bought which has been taxed even more and they've worked for it and when they die it should go to who they desire, not the government. That's not fair. They've worked for it and it's been taxed about 5 times probably, they've got every right to hand it down to whom ever they want.
Original post by rmpr97
Who am I to question your ideals? A person who disagrees with them because you're posting them on a debate forum.

You get given them, well then according to what you're saying you should refuse them.

How is it fair that your parents hand you down laptops and phones when you could sell them and give the money to a starving Somalian child.

Why should the rich get taxed and not the poor? Working class people hand down houses and money. I'm sure if it were your parents passing them down to you you wouldn't object.

Oh and why shouldn't it be taxed more? Because that's money that their parents have worked for, which has been taxed and property they've bought which has been taxed even more and they've worked for it and when they die it should go to who they desire, not the government. That's not fair. They've worked for it and it's been taxed about 5 times probably, they've got every right to hand it down to whom ever they want.

How do you know they've worked for it?! Money over a certain amount should be taxed...Working class people hand down houses and money? Not always the case either. I'm lucky enough to be lower-middle class, and actually, my parents have told me they plan to give me the house upon their deaths, and i've refused. I want my own house, i've earned, that i've paid for.
Reply 166
How do you know they've worked for it?! Money over a certain amount should be taxed...Working class people hand down houses and money? Not always the case either. I'm lucky enough to be lower-middle class, and actually, my parents have told me they plan to give me the house upon their deaths, and i've refused. I want my own house, i've earned, that i've paid for.

What if your kids aren't fit to work though? Would you not like to leave them enough to make sure they are ok after you die?
Original post by rmpr97
Fine, but back then we were still a world super power.

Explain the relevance?

Times have changed. Things are different. Tax rates in the past have no relevance.

Why are they different?

Well if that's the justification why is that only applying to the rich?

It applies to anyone, but that wasn't your original question.
Man you make a fair point, there's literally nothing that will be changed in the near future, politics is corrupt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending