The Student Room Group

Help! A late epipheny!

I left college July 2012 with no desire to continue education, I was far happier earning the pocket money I got from my part-time job at a supermarket, volunteering as a Community First Responder and planning my trip to India.

I was in the "Honours" group in my college, a glorified tutor group for folks that did pretty well in their GCSEs. Come UCAS time, there were 4/40 students not applying to Universities and so we were pretty much left to faff about.

I've come back from four months in India and had an absolute blast, but I have had to carefully think about what I would like to do next in life and I have come to the rather bold descision, I would love to become a doctor.

I always bandied the idea around in my head, but up until now, the "Cons" column was always bigger, now tables have turned and I really do have a yearning or "calling" to be a doctor. The problem was, I lived my entire life thinking it was a nice idea but not one I would actually end up wanting to pursue.

I only took single award science at GCSE (I came out with 10As, a B and the C was in single award - I hope it proves it was the class/teacher rather than my ineptitude at science) and then come A Levels, due to my complete disinterest in education at that point, I've found myself with a B in English, B in History and a C in Computing. Oh dear.

So, am I stuffed? Is that it, due to a poorly planned out educational career am I pooped for the world of medicine?

What should I do next? I am a smart guy, despite a rather shoddy set of A Levels but with a renewed enthusiasm to study, succeed and eventually become a doctor, I figure I could go back to my high-flying days of GCSEs!

What should I do next?

Yours,
A right plonker.
You sure? Are you 100% sure you want to be a doctor? It's going to be so much work, but honestly, if you really want to be a doctor it will definitely be worth it.

Basically, medical schools won't accept any undergraduate without A Level Chemistry and at least AAB so your first option is to get classes at a college or somewhere to get yourself some A Levels. To get into medicine you will need three A Levels, Chemistry for definite and then one/two of either Maths, Physics or Biology and then maybe another Academic subject e.g History or Geography or a language.
If you get the A Level grades you need, then thats great! Next, you have to convince the medical school that you are able to cope with the piles and piles of work you will have to do as a medical student through your personal Statement. You will also have to tell them very good reasons (not just feeble excuses) why you had to redo your A Levels. Also, talk about how India helped shape you as an ideal medical student as this will be pretty unique from the other candidates. You will also have to explain why you only just wanted to become a doctor, what made you decide now rather than before you did your A Levels.
Then, if you are really good at writing your personal statement and really good at your interview then you will get to train as a medical school and become a doctor. Yayy!

Another way to get into medicine is to do a degree first and then do a graduate entry medicine course. Of course, your A Levels might restrict you to particular degrees but some graduate entry medical schools accept any degree with a 2:1. The advantage of this is that you don't have to explain A Level results or redo them. A disadvantage is that there is a lot more competition for graduate entry courses and you will be in an even worse situation than most as your degree won't be in biomedicine or Chemistry...

As you can see, it will be a lot of work and will need a lot of careful consideration but if you are determined, it is possible. Good luck :biggrin:

Edit: Definitely remember to talk about your volunteering as a Community First Responder in the personal statement, as that shows you like helping people and caring for people :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Sophie,

Thanks for the advice - my plan is to study A Level Biology and A Level Chemistry in a single year which is offered by a local college.

I hope that, in itself will show some willing and eagerness to make it onto a medicine course.

A question I have is that should I take a third A level to study this year and simply discard my previous set of A Levels or would it be better to have those 2 above and then the three that I have done previously?

I'd also point out I have the intention of resitting some of the modules of my original A Levels so they should be A grades (I missed two A grades by 5 and 10 points out of 400 each!) So while Uni's will know I re-sat some units I should have 2 A grade A Levels (with 3rd year resits) and 2 A grade A Levels in Chem and Bio taken in a single year - does that sound like viable "equipment" to get me on to realistic interviews (when of course combined with a kick ass PS.)
No problem!

That sounds like a great idea :smile: I would say there would be no point in discarding them completely. Especially if you can get them up to As. I think the only reason you would need to discard them is if they were all Es or something but two Bs and a C won't look too bad if you also have two As (hopefully) in science as well. Unless you wanted to add Physics or Maths to the list and go all out to prove you can cope with hard work, but I don't think that's necessary...

Yep, sounds very good. 4 As will look amazing and as long as you get a 'kickass' Personal statement and reference you'll be in there. I would think. I'm no expert!

Yowch A Level Chemistry and Biology in one year sounds tough!
Reply 4
Original post by SophieLouise544
Yowch A Level Chemistry and Biology in one year sounds tough!

Haha! I know, but I'm up for the challenge! I have a friend that is doing it at the moment and is saying its tough but not impossible!

Are you able to explain how the re-sits in certain units would work to make my Bs into As?

I had asked elsewhere, perhaps you could help?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2262384
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Hmmm, I'm no expert but I think you should consider the following points:

1) Your science GCSE - I'm not sure how many medical schools would accept this and whether it would be superseded by excellent A Level results in the sciences. I'm looking for this information also, so hopefully a kind medical student who is knowledgeable with regards to the application process will volunteer this information. :smile:

2) I'd recommend emailing the universities you hope to apply to in order to ensure that they will accept you given the results you obtained in your first set of A Levels. For example, I'm fairly sure that Sheffield require that you achieve AAA in your first set of A Levels as well as your second if you are applying with two sets.

3) If you do decide to resit some modules, I'd recommend emailing universities to check whether this counts as a module resit or a full resit (as it is outside of the two years in which you completed these A Levels), and then enquire about their resit policies with regards to module/full resits.

4) As far as I'm aware, a very small minority of UK medical schools accept AAB so aiming for AAA is probably a good idea.

As I stated earlier, I'm no expert, so hopefully someone more well-informed will come along and help you out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ahhh, at least that's a little reassuring to know it is possible! That will definitely look good for medical schools if you can get two As in A Levels in one year.

For resits, I'd say it would probably be easiest to talk to the college where you did your A Levels and see if they would let you retake some of the units that you didn't do as well on. If they won't then I'm sure you can enroll at a centre just to retake your modules. Or maybe at the college where you are taking the 2 a Levels?

Once you retake a module it will be marked like normal and you will know your result. If you have done better than you did previously in the module, then the exam board will include that mark in your overall score and reissue you with the new grade and probably the certificate. If not I'm sure you could ask for one for proof. If you only need the grade for the UCAS form then UCAS should be able to see anyway.
If you do worse, then basically, you just wasted your time. But at least it won't affect your grade!
Reply 7
Even if you did resit modules to get your grades up a lot of medical won't consider you as you resat your A-levels. Also, I always thought you needed to study the three A-levels used to apply in the same two year period (to show you can cope with that stress) although I'm not 100% sure on that. You really should be emailing universities and asking them for advice, but be prepared to take on more than two new A-levels.
Reply 8
How much do you really want to do this? Over 60% of applicants get no offers at all, and most of them will have excellent academics. To stand out when your academics are relatively weak means every other aspect of your application needs to be exceptional. For example of how tough the competition is a friend of mine has good but not exceptional GCSE's (7A*s, 5As) excellent AS's (all over 95 UMS) and predicted A*A*A*, an outragouesly good UKCAT (760+), good EC's, good WE (doctor parents) and a strong PS. What has he had so far? One interview and one rejection before interview. Hasn't heard anything from the other two.

No medical school accepts AAB on the standard 5 year course - one or two still accept A*AB, but this may well have changed by the time you would be applying. And in any case that is a minimum requirement and most applicants will have at least AAA. You will also have needed to take the 3 A levels within the same 2 year period so resiting modules to get an existing B up to an A won't cut it - I don't think they would accept 2 A levels taken in one year and the third taken the next year either - you have to be studying 3 simultaneously. Also, chemistry A level is challenging for all but the most able. If you got a C in the easiest format of GCSEs, even with poor teaching you should have been able to manage better than a C, how likely is it that you could get an A at A level in one year?
Reply 9
Original post by HCubed
If you got a C in the easiest format of GCSEs, even with poor teaching you should have been able to manage better than a C, how likely is it that you could get an A at A level in one year?

We were only put in at Foundation Level, a C grade is the highest mark you can achieve, we had no choice in the matter and thankfully, the school will back us up on two poor years of teaching.

So maybe, based on what I have read from many people here is that I would be better studying 3 new A Levels (preferably in a single year)?

I of course appreciate that Medicine is the pinnacle of competitive Uni degrees and I am already starting on the back foot, my intentions of speaking on TSR is to find out how best I can set myself up now to reduce the disadvantage of my previous studies.
Reply 10
In that case I wouldn't advise going from foundation level chemistry to taking an A level in a year - it's too big a step up. Take two years and give yourself a chance.
Original post by jophster
I left college July 2012 with no desire to continue education, I was far happier earning the pocket money I got from my part-time job at a supermarket, volunteering as a Community First Responder and planning my trip to India.

I was in the "Honours" group in my college, a glorified tutor group for folks that did pretty well in their GCSEs. Come UCAS time, there were 4/40 students not applying to Universities and so we were pretty much left to faff about.

I've come back from four months in India and had an absolute blast, but I have had to carefully think about what I would like to do next in life and I have come to the rather bold descision, I would love to become a doctor.

I always bandied the idea around in my head, but up until now, the "Cons" column was always bigger, now tables have turned and I really do have a yearning or "calling" to be a doctor. The problem was, I lived my entire life thinking it was a nice idea but not one I would actually end up wanting to pursue.

I only took single award science at GCSE (I came out with 10As, a B and the C was in single award - I hope it proves it was the class/teacher rather than my ineptitude at science) and then come A Levels, due to my complete disinterest in education at that point, I've found myself with a B in English, B in History and a C in Computing. Oh dear.

So, am I stuffed? Is that it, due to a poorly planned out educational career am I pooped for the world of medicine?

What should I do next? I am a smart guy, despite a rather shoddy set of A Levels but with a renewed enthusiasm to study, succeed and eventually become a doctor, I figure I could go back to my high-flying days of GCSEs!

What should I do next?

Yours,
A right plonker.

Look into Access courses - there's a good summary of the various ones available on our wiki page. They take a year, cover the necessary biology and chemistry (no point learning ecology for Bio A level for the sake of it), and are designed for people coming into medicine from a less than conventional academic background. They're accepted by a range of medical schools, but not all. Given your lack of science background I would suggest that Access courses would be a quicker and easier route than A levels.
Hi I hope you don't mind me commenting.
First of all how old are you? Access courses should only be considered by those 21 and over (I haven't seen a medical school who will take an access student under 21 as they insist they are not for resitters). I am an access student myself, so have researched quite a bit when completing my own UCAS form.
Another point is have you looked at extended medical courses? (6 years, foundation year) as if your school falls into a poor percentile you may be eligible, and they take non science/lower Alevel grades.
You may be best to sit your biology/chem a levels and try to bring your other grades up, as you said above. However I can imagine this would be an incredible amount of work. Have you contacted any medical schools to ask their advice?
Reply 13
Thanks for all the replies on the topic.

A question that has arisen is whether it is wise to now even resit these original set of A Levels, some people have been saying it is best to leave it as BBC and concentrate on gaining strong grades in Chemistry and Maths (my two fasttrack choices).

1. Should I resit my BB grades or will it look better if I just leave them as is without any resits?
2. I am taking fasttrack Chemistry and Maths, should I undertake a third?
3. Who should I speak to, to get some advice off universities? Admissions? Lecturers?
Original post by jophster
Thanks for all the replies on the topic.

A question that has arisen is whether it is wise to now even resit these original set of A Levels, some people have been saying it is best to leave it as BBC and concentrate on gaining strong grades in Chemistry and Maths (my two fasttrack choices).

1. Should I resit my BB grades or will it look better if I just leave them as is without any resits?
2. I am taking fasttrack Chemistry and Maths, should I undertake a third?
3. Who should I speak to, to get some advice off universities? Admissions? Lecturers?

Speak to admissions tutors about what would be your best option. Resitting generally isn't considered (though see the page on the wiki about this) and your A levels are in mostly irrelevant subjects at present, so I'd avoid this option, particularly if you're undertaking new courses on top - don't overload yourself and risk under performing in the stuff that matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending