The Student Room Group

Thursday 7 March 2013 GCSE results - grade boundaries

GCSE results day - Thursday 7 March 2013 - grade boundaries

Good luck to everyone as we approach the publication of GCSE results. As many of you will know, many exams boards will release the grade boundaries for the January 2013 exams shortly before results themselves are published.Where possible, this thread will be used to share links to published grade boundaries as they become available, but please feel free also to post here any links that you believe are missing. If you quote me when doing so I'll try to add the links into this post for others' benefit.

Please visit the Results day discussion thread for extended conversation! If you'd like to share your predictions for your results, as well as the actual grades that you achieve on the day, you can use the dedicated "Post your results" thread. For anyone disappointed with their results, we have a thread with advice for those who haven't done as well as they hoped to help you to decide what to do next.

Published grade boundaries
AQA: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BOUND-JAN13.PDF
Edexcel: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/GCSE%20composite%20final%203.pdf
OCR (scroll down to page 24 for the GCSE boundaries): http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/128198-unit-level-raw-mark-grade-boundaries-january-2013.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay firstly this i don't get all they ever do is raise the grade boundaries for GCSE science on biology B1 exam i got d but if i took it now i would of got an e? Just had my biology retake on friday and didn't fell that confident on the six mark questions but did mostly on the rest and now the grade boundaries for b2 biology are even higher then B1's now wtf??? I hate Edexcel so much i guess i'm going to fail again thanks to grade boundaries rising stupid exam board.
:| sorry about that... Just try to get better in b3 and the isas.

oh. and they raise and drop the boundaries depending on how people did. If everyone did good, they raise the boundaries to make it harder to get an a* etc. and if everyone screwed up, they drop the boundaries to make it easier to get an a*.

If they raised the boundaries, that meant lots of people did really well in that exam o.o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ChronicBoredom
:| sorry about that... Just try to get better in b3 and the isas.

oh. and they raise and drop the boundaries depending on how people did. If everyone did good, they raise the boundaries to make it harder to get an a* etc. and if everyone screwed up, they drop the boundaries to make it easier to get an a*.

If they raised the boundaries, that meant lots of people did really well in that exam o.o

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the problem is not everyone is smart so if some get really high and got a c and stuff and some people who got like e's and f's still have to face high grade boundaries? That's the stupidest idea ever they should lower the grade boundaries so everyone can have an equal chance of passing and some people who are smart and can pass exams don't refer to everyone like people that struggle like me for example?
Yeah, i guess you're right... but that way, everyone would get A*s and high grades... there needs to be some sort of motivation for the other kids lol. Plus, they take an average I think :smile: You probs can't retake this exam again ( my school doesn't allow more than two retakes ) but that's the system bro... Really study for your next exams and you can boost your grade :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah, i guess you're right... but that way, everyone would get A*s and high grades... there needs to be some sort of motivation for the other kids lol. Plus, they take an average I think :smile: You probs can't retake this exam again ( my school doesn't allow more than two retakes ) but that's the system bro... Really study for your next exams and you can boost your grade :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here bro this is my second retake and if i dont pass biology i would most probably be moved to BTEC (lower learning classes) which totally sucks i reckon physics is fairly easy and chemistry is abit of a struggle but biology just takes the mick for me!
Reply 6
Grade boundaries will be released on 6th March at 00:00.
Original post by AM1R

How sure are you of this? where have you heard this from?
Reply 8
Original post by AM1R

Are you sure? That's basically today i stay up to around 1 anyway so i shouldn't miss it hopefully!
Original post by BO$$MAN
Are you sure? That's basically today i stay up to around 1 anyway so i shouldn't miss it hopefully!

its already released http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...OUND-JAN13.PDF
Reply 10
For Edexcel and OCR examinations. Grade boundaries are always released before results day (7th), so therefore at 00:01 they will be released tonight, keep checking the grade boundaries thread occasionally.
Original post by AM1R
For Edexcel and OCR examinations. Grade boundaries are always released before results day (7th), so therefore at 00:01 they will be released tonight, keep checking the grade boundaries thread occasionally.

You may want to check earlier as AQA say the same but, they released there's already :colondollar:
Reply 12
I will but I doubt Edexcel would 'accidently' release the official boundaries before the actual date/time, but I may be wrong.
Reply 13

Thanks, I've added them to the OP :smile:

Original post by AM1R
I will but I doubt Edexcel would 'accidently' release the official boundaries before the actual date/time, but I may be wrong.

There is no "actual" time for when they are released. :wink:
Original post by usycool1
Thanks, I've added them to the OP :smile:

No problem! :wink:
Grade Boundaries for Physics and Chemistry are shocking and unfair.Grade Boundaries for French are good and the Grade Boundary for Geography is wonderful.I think that grade boundaries should always be kept low as a rule because grade boundaries like 51 for an A* in Physics only discriminate against good pupils through the silly and daft mistakes, which I feel isn't a fair system.Papers should be made harder to be more challenging and to prevent really clever people, from losing out for silly mistake and this system would give A*s to pupils who hasd risen to the challenge and conquered the really tough, extension of spec questions and not missed out by silly mistakes.
Do you know where to find the a-level grade boundaries for jan 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bossman -

My friend does Btech but that's because her results were so bad she basically didn't answer her exam... I'm sure you won't get put there :smile:

Physics is really easy because its basically maths but Biology is literally just an exam to test our memory. It sucks because I've got a really ****ty memory.I haven't started chem (only in yr 10 and I'm doing all chem next yr) but its supposed to be okish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
Grade Boundaries for Physics and Chemistry are shocking and unfair.Grade Boundaries for French are good and the Grade Boundary for Geography is wonderful.I think that grade boundaries should always be kept low as a rule because grade boundaries like 51 for an A* in Physics only discriminate against good pupils through the silly and daft mistakes, which I feel isn't a fair system.Papers should be made harder to be more challenging and to prevent really clever people, from losing out for silly mistake and this system would give A*s to pupils who hasd risen to the challenge and conquered the really tough, extension of spec questions and not missed out by silly mistakes.

I'm so upset about the 51... It's not even funny. My teacher barely taught p2 and I thought I might be able to scrape an A because i did hardcore studying the week before but now there's no chance. A 48 for b2 is pretty bad as well. My teacher didnt even tell us about the cross section of a leaf (6 mark ques)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so upset about the 51... It's not even funny. My teacher barely taught p2 and I thought I might be able to scrape an A because i did hardcore studying the week before but now there's no chance. A 48 for b2 is pretty bad as well. My teacher didnt even tell us about the cross section of a leaf (6 mark ques)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel sorry for my class a bit because the teacher for Physics wasn't too good but a lot of it came natural because it was a very maths based unit, which is my top ability.

You can use an example such as Stephen Hawking to explain why such boundary setting is not right, 60/60 is 100% and he could easily make the odd mistake yet hardcore revisers, who don't know the subject half as good but didn't make any daft mistakes would get 100%, they deserve an A* but not 100% and he would obviously deserve 100%.If grade boundaries where set low but questions made harder then Stephen Hawking still might make mistakes but would get the 100% and people, who don't really understand the subject would get the A* they deserve and not 100% because they might struggle to even answer the questions but people, who understood the subject could.

Quick Reply