The Student Room Group

Careers advice! Opera singer or midwife?

I'm really suck at the moment, I have to choose my A levels and college very very soon, At the moment I have a choice between 3 very good sixth forms, and the a levels I have currently chosen are Biology, Health and social Care, Drama and English Lit and Lang although they can change if I want them too.
Here comes my problem, I have always had passion for singing and performing and I have done many musicals and Opera's, my biggest dream is to be on stage and performing. However I have also always wanted to care for people and help others, I enjoy working with people and making a difference to people’s lives which is where the ambition to be midwife comes in.

I have told been told by professional singers that I should go for a career in music and performing and that I'm talented enough to do so.

But also I know midwifery would be the more structure option and I know I could also so well in this career.

I would just like someone who has gone though a similar dilemma (not necessarily the same careers:tongue: ) and also anyone who has gone to music college and done some kind vocal training and what they needed (qualification wise) to do so. Please help!

P.s I know to go to music college I'd have to do music a level ( doing music GCSE) but my theory isn't very strong and I'd have to a lot work to get it up to the standard it needs to be.
Reply 1
There's hardly much demand for opera singers out there, the logical choice is midwifery.
Though for your a-levels you should take the easiest ones you can. Take whichever a-levels you need for the uni course you want then forget what might be useful or interesting, the way the system is structured you just need grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending