The Student Room Group

So, driving in neutral, does it save on fuel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Yawn11
Provide solid evidence otherwise you're just using words like me

I would have thought the fact I studied automotive engineering and became a qualified mechanic was enough.

Since you ask, take a look at page 187 and 185, 'engine overrun'.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Jul07.pdf

/thread
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Yawn11
Maybe

Sorry but you are wrong.
Original post by DavidH20
Here: see 122 on coasting; not against the law but advised against.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/control-of-the-vehicle-117-to-126

I agree.
Personally i wouldnt do it.
Original post by Pigling
Really? Sitting with your foot on the clutch is one of the most idiotic things one can do?

As opposed to not checking the mirrors, driving in the wrong lane, breaking too suddenly, taking corners too fast, speeding, overtaking unsafely, ignoring road signs, doing your makeup in the back mirror, approaching a roundabout too fast, jutting into the road when you're trying to pull out into traffic, being drunk, feeling tired, driving without functioning lights, failing to indicate, cutting in front of someone, tail-gaiting...

Coasting is safe under the right conditions. Avoiding coasting is not a driving priority. I have never experienced any sensation of loss of control in relation to coasting, presumably because I do it at the right time and in the right way. You "coast" for a few moments every time you change gear, does the car spin out of control?

Seconded :smile:
Even my instructor said that coasting is beneficial at some times. She used to encourage me to coast around particularly sharp corners as 1st is too slow an 2nd is too fast so she said...in that kind of circumstance you should engage the 2nd gear about half ish which will give you the right speed.

Also coasting is needed when your stuck in traffic.
It all depends on the situation and mindset of the person who is coasting!
Reply 44
Original post by Coffeegirl
Even my instructor said that coasting is beneficial at some times. She used to encourage me to coast around particularly sharp corners as 1st is too slow an 2nd is too fast so she said...in that kind of circumstance you should engage the 2nd gear about half ish which will give you the right speed.

Your instructor says some worrying things. Coasting around sharp corners is the best way to ditchfind.
Original post by Pegasus2
Your instructor says some worrying things. Coasting around sharp corners is the best way to ditchfind.

Around sharp corners and narrow roads it is rather helpful actually.
Reply 46
Refer to my previous statement, i'm not being funny. It generally is worrying if you do that.
Reply 47
I love this idea some people appear to have that putting your foot on the clutch will make your car suddenly swerve uncontrollably off the road. :biggrin:

Advanced driving instruction: brakes to slow, gears to go. Depress the clutch pedal once the current gear becomes too high for the desired speed, release it only when you wish to accelerate again.

The difference in fuel consumption between cruising in gear or cruising out of gear is completely negligible.
Original post by py0alb
I love this idea some people appear to have that putting your foot on the clutch will make your car suddenly swerve uncontrollably off the road. :biggrin:

This is what happens when you press the clutch down.

Also coasting is needed when your stuck in traffic.
It all depends on the situation and mindset of the person who is coasting!

Really? My instructor told me to avoid coasting around corners at all costs because steering isn't great.... :/
Even if coasting does save fuel, the increased pressure on the brakes to slow the car down, (given that engine braking isn't active), means you'll wear out your brake pads quicker, costing you a lot of money and offsetting any savings made.
so what if a car was traveling perpendicularly towards the back end of your car? Braking will only make the car hit the drivers area so the ONLY WAY to get out of the way is to accelerate but WHOOPS you're in neutral
Original post by Gummibaerchen
Really? My instructor told me to avoid coasting around corners at all costs because steering isn't great.... :/

well your not really coasting because the clutch is engaged at the 'bite' if you like.

If you left the clutch all the way down then yes that wouldn't be great
what exactly happens in the engine when you drive in neutral? :confused:
Reply 54
Original post by Red Richie
what exactly happens in the engine when you drive in neutral? :confused:

Essentially the same as when you run it at idle.
For a lot of vehicles, as long as you aren't pushing the accelerator, no fuel will be used. So sticking it in neutral is pointless.
The revs remain high when you leave it gear, even if you don't push the throttle, because the wheels are connected to the engine, so the force of the car keeps the engine spinning at a high rate, as opposed to the fuel combustion which happens when you put your foot down.

Leaving it in gear doesn't use fuel. But it does slow the car down faster.
Original post by No Regrets
So if I drive down a hill for example and take the car out of gear and put it in neutral is it true it saves on fuel?

No it doesn't, and it's dangerous.

Any modern car (as in built in the last 15 or so years) will use no fuel, or virtually no fuel, if you're coasting while in gear, but if you put it into neutral then it has to use a small amount of fuel to stop the engine from stalling.

Secondly, if you're in neutral and need to react to a situation quickly then it takes you longer as you've got to put the car into gear first. If you were seen coasting in neutral on a driving test then you'd be failed as I believe it is classed as a dangerous fault, which in itself should tell you that its not a good idea.
I've heard that the engine still uses fuel when the car is in neutral to stop the car from stalling.
I really wouldn't recommend "coasting" in neutral as you have far less control.
Original post by Pegasus2

Here is a better explanation

My instructor's car was a diesal :

A diesel car in 2nd gear will pull along at 10mph approx. This is too fast for a tight left corner major to minor. So feet off is going to result in a turn which will be too fast. Therefore try braking to slow the car down produces a judder from the engine and the torque which is pretty strong in a diesel will resist the car being slowed down. The answer is to slip the clutch. Allow the engine to return to tickover with a slight pull from the slipping clutch. That is good clutch control not poor car control.
Reply 59
Here is a better explanation

My instructor's car was a diesal :

A diesel car in 2nd gear will pull along at 10mph approx. This is too fast for a tight left corner major to minor. So feet off is going to result in a turn which will be too fast. Therefore try braking to slow the car down produces a judder from the engine and the torque which is pretty strong in a diesel will resist the car being slowed down. The answer is to slip the clutch. Allow the engine to return to tickover with a slight pull from the slipping clutch. That is good clutch control not poor car control.

Oh right, didn't realise you were talking such low low speeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending