The Student Room Group

How do I apply for a Maintenance Grant?

I've set up an account with direct gov for student finance. I don't know what I am doing wrong...

Basically it's given me the option for a maintenance loan and tuition fees loan but no grant.

It hasn't given me the option for it too be *means tested* < I think thats what it is called.

I've gotten to the end of the application and I assumed I could apply for this when it said "you can apply for support taking household income into account" but when I click on the link it says "use the sliding scale at the bottom of the page to get an estimate of how much you could receive if you provide information about your household's income."

^Although there is no sliding scale.

I'm so confused right now D: Would it maybe not give me the option because my tuition fees are paid for by the NHS??

Also another question, Am I right in thinking once the university has got my reply * I have firmed my place there* That they will send my details off to the nhs and then they will contract me further about the nhs loan and bursery?

I am getting no support from my parents so without the grant I won't be able to afford living at the university.

Thank you
Reply 1
you could possibly contact student finance; their contact number is 08453005090.
im not certain but you may have to apply for the nhs bursary separate they have an online application
Reply 2
Original post by raheesaxox
you could possibly contact student finance; their contact number is 08453005090.
im not certain but you may have to apply for the nhs bursary separate they have an online application

I called them up, they said because I get the NHS bursery it means I wont get the grant. We apply for the NHS bursery once the university has sent out details of to them, then they send us infomation (thats what I have been told anyways)

I'm kind of desperate for the grant, without it I can't afford accommodation even with all the other help, my part time job and savings! (well to live aswell)
Reply 3
ahh well you may have to wait till you get a reply from the uni or either contact university and see whats goin on. it can be a struggle without grant!!
Reply 4
You can't get the grant if you receive help from NHS. You can only receive half of the non-income based maintenance loan.
Reply 5
This will be my issue too. My dad only earns £4106 a year, so he cant help me out. My accomadation will cost about 3k and theres other things I need too, so hopefully I can get a means tested grant from the nhs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending