The Student Room Group

Why do so many people from my year group want to do Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Vendetta1997
If 50% of applicants are rejected, does that mean they have to apply to several different hospitals?

I think MedMed12 was talking about medical applicants, not work experience applicants.
Original post by Vian
I think MedMed12 was talking about medical applicants, not work experience applicants.

:facepalm: Proves I'm tired and I need to sleep.
Reply 62
Original post by Username97
I also go to a grammar school.

And also, what I mean is that these are the 6 that I know of AT THE MOMENT, it's likely that there are people that I don't know who want to study medicine, and people are going to change their minds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, the bolded bit is obviously true, since you can't know all the many thousands of people applying to medicine in the UK :wink:

On a serious note, I don't know why you're getting so hung up about your peers wanting to do medicine. You know you want to do this, and that's what's important. If you're as passionate as you say, then just work hard, get the grades, work experience etc, and you'll be fine. They have no impact on your application... And they will most likely not be the only people applying for 'unsatisfactory' reasons. It's up to the admissions staff to decide whether or not they're suitable. If, like you say, they aren't, then they probably won't get in anyway.

You could also look at this in a positive way. Would you rather be the ONLY medicine applicant (like me, out of a year group of ~150...) and have no one to ask questions, worry about UKCAT/BMAT with, talk to about work experience and other general stresses of applying to medicine? I personally would love to have people in a similar situation who can help and support me, and that extra sense of competition would probably push me to try and be a better candidate.

Original post by MedMed12
this year we've got 21 applying
last year it was 23 applying and 1 missed her grades, 1 got no offers and is doing something else, 2 on a gap year and reapp and the rest got in :O

Original post by emma2013
I think only 2 people got no offers

Your schools must be amazing! :eek:
Original post by Username97
I feel some are applying for wrong reasons like the money and the social importance of being a doctor (as in being the best), which is why I don't think they should be applying because its unfair on those who want to it for the right reasons, as it creates more competition.
And thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If those are the reasons that a person wants to apply it's not really anyone's place to say they shouldn't get the place. Medical education is about producing good doctors and to do that you need good candidates. If they're smart enough, willing to put the work in and at interview are socially capable, then they have every right to their place. Medicine is an incredibly competitive career. From the moment you get into med school you're going to constantly be trying to find an edge to give you an advantage for that next step, if you can't handle competition you shouldn't be applying
Reply 64
About the lecturer is so sad. :frown: If 50% of applicants are rejected, does that mean they have to apply to several different hospitals?

depends - hosp are tighening up
I got rejected from 3 and got into 1, but thats because u the 3 i got rejected from only take locals and I was from the next town
dw just got whatever u can - even 2 days is enough - its what u learn
depends - hosp are tighening up
I got rejected from 3 and got into 1, but thats because u the 3 i got rejected from only take locals and I was from the next town
dw just got whatever u can - even 2 days is enough - its what u learn

I'm turning 16 in October, is that early enough to apply? :confused:
Reply 66
Original post by suncake
Well, the bolded bit is obviously true, since you can't know all the many thousands of people applying to medicine in the UK :wink:

On a serious note, I don't know why you're getting so hung up about your peers wanting to do medicine. You know you want to do this, and that's what's important. If you're as passionate as you say, then just work hard, get the grades, work experience etc, and you'll be fine. They have no impact on your application... And they will most likely not be the only people applying for 'unsatisfactory' reasons. It's up to the admissions staff to decide whether or not they're suitable. If, like you say, they aren't, then they probably won't get in anyway.

You could also look at this in a positive way. Would you rather be the ONLY medicine applicant (like me, out of a year group of ~150...) and have no one to ask questions, worry about UKCAT/BMAT with, talk to about work experience and other general stresses of applying to medicine? I personally would love to have people in a similar situation who can help and support me, and that extra sense of competition would probably push me to try and be a better candidate.

tbh its the girls who did it really :smile: I wouldnt give the school much credit
Reply 67
I'm turning 16 in October, is that early enough to apply? :confused:

thats fine :smile:
most people do it summer of year 12 (just before applying so its fresh in their head ad can remember it for when they write their PS
dont stress! its ear
ly days :smile: I wish I relaxed more when I was ur age :tongue:
thats fine :smile:
most people do it summer of year 12 (just before applying so its fresh in their head ad can remember it for when they write their PS
dont stress! its ear
ly days :smile: I wish I relaxed more when I was ur age :tongue:

Heh. Yeah, I suppose I need to relax more. :biggrin: I'm just scared that I'll fail.
Reply 69
Original post by Vian
Who decides what are the 'right' or 'wrong' reasons? Does applying for the right reasons necessarily make you a better doctor? And why is the application of another person disadvantageous to you specifically, bearing in mind that you'll probable never see these people ever again?

I'm not saying I disagree with you on principle or think that anyone should be able to apply. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so arrogant as to assume that you are an inherently better medical candidate then anyone else.

No but if you're applying because you want to be rich then you will probably hate medical school because of the passion you actually have to have for it, therefore affecting how good you are as a doctor, even if you will actually become a doctor. They said this on one of the career days, it's not just me making it up. If you want to be a doc because you want to feel important or be the best or whatever, then you're going to have a hard time if you don't enjoy the content, if you don't like and cant handle communication with different people on a regular basis and don't care about the well beings of others.

It's not that the application of others is bad, everyone has the right to do what they want, but it's that it's higher competition for us.
And I feel that I am in no way a better candidate than others, in fact I am not very confident and question whether I could become a medic (I am doubtful of myself). I'm just saying that I think my reasons for wanting to apply are valid, and especially compared to this who just want to be rich.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's 40 in my year!!

Original post by username97
from my school there are like 6 people i know of who want to do medicine at the moment (i'm year 11 by the way). It's so annoying, i bet half of them are not as passionate about and don't care about it as much as i do, and i find myself comparing myself to them, and have negative thoughts about how i can actually get accepted compared to them :frown:does anyone feel this way?posted from tsr mobile
Reply 71
Why do people think so far ahead? In year 11 I thought I was going to do a computer science degree, but when I went to college I found computing to be the most boring subject ever. Im in year 13 now and I've applied to do a chemistry degree instead. Most people that plan so far ahead haven't even sat an A level exam, so what makes them think they'll be able of getting the grades for competitive courses like medicine? For a fact when I started AS I knew about 6-7 people in my chemistry class who wanted do medicine. Nearly all of them got D's or E's and I can assure you that none of them did eventually apply to medicine. I think about 2 of them switched to do a btec. What im trying to say is that it's stupid to plan so far ahead when you don't even know how capable you are performing at a level. Most people change their minds by the end of year 12 anyway.
Reply 72
Original post by suncake

Yes haha I meant at my school :smile:
Yes I can see what you mean, but the fact that there's more competition is a bit of a bummer :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
6 is not many unless your year group is like 20 people :P
I am in Year 11 too and kind of want to do medicine, but I am not sure yet. Not a "golden child" either, but I don't care if someone's better than me. If they are they clearly worked for it so I can't be mad at them for my laziness or them just generally being better. I used to compare myself to people as well, but it only makes you worry and nothing good comes out of it.
I am the only person that even considered it in my year so not so many people are my competition. :biggrin:
Competition shouldn't matter if it's something you're passionate about, because in the end it's gonna be your life.:rolleyes:

Screw the "competition" and concentrate on getting your A's so you can meet the requirements. Also, you could start applying for some work experience in hospitals and pharmacies. I am waiting for my confirmation on volunteering at a hospital and vet's. :wink:

If you don't mind asking, what A levels did you choose? :biggrin:

Good Luck with your grades. :smile:
Reply 74
The truth behind your post is that you are not ready to do Medicine and you find yourself scared at the conception that other people, whom are better than you want to do Medicine. Leaving you helpless and hopeless to achieve your dream.
Reply 75
Heh. Yeah, I suppose I need to relax more. :biggrin: I'm just scared that I'll fail.

then you try again!
its very common for straight rejection first time
my friend in the year above who reapplied has 3 offers now :biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by Lexxaa
6 is not many unless your year group is like 20 people :P
I am in Year 11 too and kind of want to do medicine, but I am not sure yet. Not a "golden child" either, but I don't care if someone's better than me. If they are they clearly worked for it so I can't be mad at them for my laziness or them just generally being better. I used to compare myself to people as well, but it only makes you worry and nothing good comes out of it.
I am the only person that even considered it in my year so not so many people are my competition. :biggrin:
Competition shouldn't matter if it's something you're passionate about, because in the end it's gonna be your life.:rolleyes:

Screw the "competition" and concentrate on getting your A's so you can meet the requirements. Also, you could start applying for some work experience in hospitals and pharmacies. I am waiting for my confirmation on volunteering at a hospital and vet's. :wink:

If you don't mind asking, what A levels did you choose? :biggrin:

Good Luck with your grades. :smile:

I'm not 16 yet so I can't apply, how/where can you apply to do volunteering at a hospital? As in like giving tea and biscuits on different wards or something? And how is a vet relevant? Haha I'm not questioning your choices I'm just curious :smile:
I'm not a "golden child" either, so I guess that makes 2 of us..

I am planning on doing biology, chemistry, psychology, maths and EPQ, what about you?
Good luck to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by Loiks94
The truth behind your post is that you are not ready to do Medicine and you find yourself scared at the conception that other people, whom are better than you want to do Medicine. Leaving you helpless and hopeless to achieve your dream.

I'm not scared, I think it's only natural for people to be worried about courses like this. If people felt differently then they would be slightly over confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I want to become a doctor so much though. :frown: What is it like though? Is it stressful?

How do you apply for work experience? :confused:

I don't think you can know what it's like until you try... Anyway :wink:.
To apply just phone up your hospital or email them if they have info on their website. That's what I did. I emailed them my CV and got and induction form back, it's in July (they only do 2 a year) so just after I turn 16 :biggrin: yay.

Also, you said something about telling people they're not gonna make it etc. As a volunteer or during work experience I doubt you'll do that. I am guessing you'll probably be doing something like "meet and greet" or giving patients water and stuff. That's what my letter said at least. :biggrin:

Good Luck :tongue:
Reply 79
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Patient confidentiality, seeing potentially upsetting things, etc.

Different hospitals have different rules but generally it's 16+. On one of my work experiences it was 16+ for shadowing and 18+ for surgery.. yet on the other, I was 17 and they let me watch open heart surgery. :dontknow:

I am jealous :frown:. I would want to see one just to check if I can take it. I know it's just blood and organs, but still can get gory... How did you find it? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending