The Student Room Group

Masters in Finance/GMAT

Hi all,

I'm currently a maths undergrad at Oxford in my penultimate year. I am considering continuing my studies at Oxford through the MFE programme, while applying also to LSE for their MSc in Fin and Econ. I was just wondering which entry exam to take because I can't see the difference in the GMAT/GRE. Is one easier than the other? Why do they both exist if they essentially cover the same stuff? I'm trying to decide which one to sit. Any advice? Also, for those of you who have been accepted for the Oxford MFE/LSE MSc, how important did you feel your degree classification was in getting you an offer? Does a 2.1 prediction rule you out of the competition? My maths background is strong and I have picked options so far to pave way for a mathematically-intensive finance course i.e. differential eqns, fluid dynamics, probability, statistics etc.

Cheers guys for all your help.
Reply 1
ceteris paribus, its better for you to go to a university other than your undergrad institution to pursue a masters. Do the GRE, it has greater respect for the more technical courses.
Reply 2
I got into both Oxford MFE and LSE MSc Fin & Econ. I don't think you'll have an advantage/disadvantage in taking either GRE or GMAT. Essentially you need to score over 90th percentile in the quantitative part, and of course higher than average scores in verbal and AWA.

I got a 2:1 at undergrad too, but I also had a Masters (distinction equivalent). A 2:1 from Oxford may be viewed as a 1st in comparison to lesser universities, though I am not certain how admissions work.

I am convinced that what got me through were my excellent letters of recommendation. You will need glowing references - this plays a big part too.

All the best.
Reply 3
Minstrel
ceteris paribus, its better for you to go to a university other than your undergrad institution to pursue a masters. Do the GRE, it has greater respect for the more technical courses.

Considering Oxford's reputation I hardly think it's worthwhile going to another univeristy unless it's reputation is on par or higher. LSE's case is an exception: the course has an outstanding reputation but I don't consider the institution to be on par or higher than Oxbridge in terms of rep. I know the GRE offers subject tests but for these programmes one is only required to sit the General format. And how did you come to the conclusion that it has the greater respect? Just curious....
Reply 4
finmath7
I got into both Oxford MFE and LSE MSc Fin & Econ. I don't think you'll have an advantage/disadvantage in taking either GRE or GMAT. Essentially you need to score over 90th percentile in the quantitative part, and of course higher than average scores in verbal and AWA.

I got a 2:1 at undergrad too, but I also had a Masters (distinction equivalent). A 2:1 from Oxford may be viewed as a 1st in comparison to lesser universities, though I am not certain how admissions work.

I am convinced that what got me through were my excellent letters of recommendation. You will need glowing references - this plays a big part too.

All the best.

Awesome stuff, making both offers! Which test did you happen to sit? GMAT or GRE? You say you got a 2.1 and a distinction in Masters. May I ask from which university you attended for both and the degrees you did? Thanks! I am quite sure my personal tutor will give me a good reference....whether it will be glowing or not I will never know as I understand it's confidential. As I will graduate next year it means i'm going to have to submit my application late this year so I guess i'll have to sit the GMAT/GRE during this summer?