The Student Room Group

Drugs at uni?

I have just stumbled on the drugs survey in timeout this week & i wondered if recreational drugs are popular at uni?

i am due to start uni in september & I'm trying to gauge the environment i will be going into.

What your experience/attitude to drugs at uni?
I have come across mostly weed at uni. Especially on creative courses such as art and music. In my experience they seem to do the most drugs lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sensible drugs policy, including alcohol, which is a drug.

The real risk of moderation, which is very popular in many universities and cities, is effects upon career prospects etc once you have a criminal record.

University is a highly experimental stage in the process of many lives. The key is to remain informed and educated to any dangers posed by experimentation, even with activities which are legal.

It's easy to laugh off but Alcohol is one the most dangerous drugs and is far too often abused. Know the risks of sex, drugs, and alcohol. Information is available everywhere.

I for one met my best friends clubbing and partying. I'm a much older boy and those habits are behind me, but they really helped me explore music, people, ideas, culture, philosophy and ultimately a true sense of self. This process is different for all people and it is vitally important you make these decisions yourself, devoid of pressure.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jblackmoustache
I have come across mostly weed at uni. Especially on creative courses such as art and music. In my experience they seem to do the most drugs lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh i will be studying art/design so i guess its likely i wont avoid it.
I'm not at university, but it stands to reason that the convergence of a large number of curious, largely intelligent young people would more than likely result in quite a bit of drug experimentation. University is a time of independence for so many students, so perhaps more people are likely to break the taboo of drug use, where they would otherwise be deterred by the influence of their parents.
I hope not, I've been sheltered all my life by my parents, they said not to do drugs :wink:
Reply 6
Some people have drugs, and university is full of people. Thus, university will have some drugs going around.

It's not like you'll be walking into a crack den when you get back from campus, but yeah, the odd person is probably smoking something. I've never heard of a bad situation of that happening though. Hell, I don't even think a single person in my flat even smokes cigarettes. Alcohol is the big one though.
The best albums made in music history were a result of drugs. They have advantages. Especially weed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best albums made in music history were a result of drugs. They have advantages. Especially weed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As was the discovery of the polymer chain reaction; PRC and the double helical structure of DNA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think more people take drugs at uni than people the same age who don't go. At my uni you wouldn't know it was going on unless you looked hard but I when I went out with a mate from another uni 6/6 of the people who he had randomly been allocated halls with took md.
Just inform yourself before you take anything and you'll be fine :smile:

These are some great, impartial advice websites for drugs:

http://drugscience.org.uk/
http://www.erowid.org/

Don't bother going on talk to frank because it's full of misinformation and outright lies.
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

says alot about those courses....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending