The Student Room Group

Tight foreskin (phimosis)

Hi guys, well basically I can't retract my foreskin over the head of my penis at all. I never really realised what the problem was until recently, and I really don't understand how my penis could possibly be clean under my foreskin, however I've had no problems up to this point.

It doesn't really cause me much bother at all, but I'm starting to worry about what intercourse will be like with a phimosis.

Anyway, I hear the doctor may prescribe me with a steroid cream if I go to see him (no matter how embarrassing it may be). Now does this cream need to be applied underneath the foreskin? If so, I don't see how I could possibly apply it without hurting myself. (it really is tight). I really don't want to get surgery, so anybody have any ideas?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, well basically I can't retract my foreskin over the head of my penis at all. I never really realised what the problem was until recently, and I really don't understand how my penis could possibly be clean under my foreskin, however I've had no problems up to this point.

It doesn't really cause me much bother at all, but I'm starting to worry about what intercourse will be like with a phimosis.

Anyway, I hear the doctor may prescribe me with a steroid cream if I go to see him (no matter how embarrassing it may be). Now does this cream need to be applied underneath the foreskin? If so, I don't see how I could possibly apply it without hurting myself. (it really is tight). I really don't want to get surgery, so anybody have any ideas?

Out of interest OP, how old are you? Can you retract it at all, even a little bit?
I've been 18 for a few months now and have exactly the same problem as you if that's any comfort. I get really emotional over it and feel like crying sometimes, the idea of surgery on it sends the fear of God through me. With mine, I've tried casually stretching it a little bit in a warm shower and although it feels more comfortable and will retract further than otherwise, I can still hardly get it past the top. It doesn't hurt so much in the shower, but it just doesn't feel comfortable or right. I don't even try when it is erect. I don't know if this is recognised, but partly because of that, I have the additional problem of this: http://www.foreskin-restoration.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3114 which I can't seem to get out of either. That means my dick is really insensitive to masturbating the normal way now, which is difficult anyway because of my foreskin. I had an infection once where my doctor had to see my glands. I obviously couldn't do it and even though they're not suppose too, she did it. I just looked away because it hurt a lot, it was really painful, and for quite a bit afterwards too. I don't know how far down the doctor managed to get it or how much of the glands the doctor saw. Obviously enough though to answer the question. So, for me, I know mine does retract with a lot of force, it's just extremely uncomfortable.

I too would like some advice and help with this? :frown:

I'm also terrified about what intercourse will be like too. I haven't bothered with the doctor since I can't see myself having sex any time soon and I'm scared about what will happen if the creams and stuff don't work.
Reply 2
Hey there,

I also suffered from phimosis, pretty severely, until the age of 19. I never really understood what it was until I starting reading up on it, as I'd never know myself to look any different, but was conscious that something wasn't quite right. To be completely honest I couldn't even comprehend the idea of being able to retract my foreskin.

I would say the main thing is not to worry too much and not to rush in trying to sort it out. This is very very common and relatively easy to resolve by various different methods.

Anon - seriously don't worry one bit about going to see your GP about this. They see people unclothed daily and it will not phase them one bit, and it won't be anywhere near as awkward as you might imagine. Your doctor will, I hope, be very reassuring and will not think that you are in some way deformed!

Personally, I chose to have a circumcision in order to resolve my own case of phimosis. I read up extensively about the different treatments available and was quite happy to be circumcised. I am sure that there are posters on here who would tell me I have been mutilated - the debate over circumcision is very polarised - but this has worked out really well for me, although to be operated on in that area is a strange experience to go through.

To the posters above - you absolutely do not need to undergo surgery to resolve this, this was simply a choice that I made. The steroid cream treatments I understand are very simple, but just take time.

To the second poster - I would not worry about the intercourse side of things - there is maybe a slight risk in that your foreskin may retract during intercourse and you may find this uncomfortable, but I would not less this put you off trying to continue with stretching exercises. It may take a period of months, but it will eventually work.

To both of you I would say that the easiest course of action is to discuss this properly with your doctor, and not to be anxious about seeing them. Unless you are told so by a professional, do not worry that you have some extreme incurable form of phimosis that will never be resolved - you're likely in the same position as many many other people :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm scared about what will happen if the creams and stuff don't work.

I re-read both of your posts and I would just like to emphasise again that you shouldn't be too anxious about this. As I said, unless you are told so by a medical professional, you should not convince yourself that you are suffering some extreme version of phimosis which will never be fixed through 'normal' ways, unlike everyone else.

I know it can at times seem this way - to me it always seemed impossible that something as apparently benign as 'stretching' or creams would be able to fix something which feels like such a mountain to overcome. It can be done, simply, and has been done by thousands of people.

The Wiki page cites a few sources which suggest around 1% of the male population suffers from some form of phimosis. You are not unusual, this is straightforward to fix, and you should not worry.

Feel free to PM me about this if you have any more questions that I may be able to help with.

Quick Reply

Latest