Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

possible careers for me?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 11 school student. I need help to choose what my possible university options could be.
    So, I have chosen Maths,Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for my A levels in sixth form. However, I would like your help in providing me with suggestions and informations about possible careers.

My interests lie in science. Personally, I would love to have a career with genetic research or research in stem cells etc. but I understand that there aren't lots of opportunities for such careers in the UK.

My dad suggests medicine for me but I understand that it is HIGHLY competitive and look for people with real passion in the subject. I don't think that I am very much interested in health and social care parts. Moreover, my GCSE predicted grades are 5A*'s and 6A's so it doesn't set me far apart from other candidates.

Also, I would like to go to a well reputed university such as Cambridge, Imperial. However, I think it is going to get even tougher to compete for a medicine place at such unis.

Appreciate any suggestions you have, thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhushan)
    I am a year 11 school student. I need help to choose what my possible university options could be.
    So, I have chosen Maths,Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for my A levels in sixth form. However, I would like your help in providing me with suggestions and informations about possible careers.

My interests lie in science. Personally, I would love to have a career with genetic research or research in stem cells etc. but I understand that there aren't lots of opportunities for such careers in the UK.

My dad suggests medicine for me but I understand that it is HIGHLY competitive and look for people with real passion in the subject. I don't think that I am very much interested in health and social care parts. Moreover, my GCSE predicted grades are 5A*'s and 6A's so it doesn't set me far apart from other candidates.

Also, I would like to go to a well reputed university such as Cambridge, Imperial. However, I think it is going to get even tougher to compete for a medicine place at such unis.

Does you school have a careers advice service, and have you discussed this with them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draghm)
    Does you school have a careers advice service, and have you discussed this with them?
    I haven't but all the advice service is for is to give you prospectuses of colleges!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another unfortunate Asian kid on the all A*s ---> top 10 uni ---> doctor conveyor belt.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What I'd reccommend doing is applying to a uni with a top department in genetics/biotechnology and apply for a degree in biochemistry. Sorry, I have no clue what degree would be best - I've applied for Geology! Then go on and apply for a Masters or PhD. I'd also look at graduate prospects of a uni - the more practical it is, the more likely you will get employed. I was told once that if you had two Chemistry graduates - one from Cambridge and one from either Glasgow or Edinburgh (I can't remember which one) - the one from Edinburgh or Glasgow would get the job as they do 5 hours practical work a week, compared to Cambridge's 2.

Personally I'd go for a subject you love - not just one with easy job opportunities. Medicine can have extremely long hours. You will probably have to move country, but it will be worth it. I want to do Geology - I'm probably going to end up in Australia if I going into oil/mining. Or America if I chose to do Palaeontology, which is something I adore along with Volcanology, in which case I'll be constantly travelling!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry? You can create new drugs to be sold on the street.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Just do something you'll enjoy!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSeeber1)
    Just do something you'll enjoy!!
    I understand what you're saying. But I would enjoy both careers almost equally. I know I have more chance of a happier and successful lifestyle if I choose Medicine. There are so many things I would enjoy, however. Maths and Physics too are my favourite!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Medicine is a great career, but don't do it just because your parents want you to.

I'm sure there's a biology degree out there somewhere that focuses on genetics and stem cells.
    Or if you're good enough at maths to handle maths, FM, and physics, have you considered a physics degree?

Speak to your school's careers advisor, have a look through some prospectuses (prospecti?) to see if any courses grab your attention, and maybe try some wider reading around the subjects you're doing to see if there's anything in there that fascinates you (even though it's not taught at A level).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    Medicine is a great career, but don't do it just because your parents want you to.

I'm sure there's a biology degree out there somewhere that focuses on genetics and stem cells.
    Or if you're good enough at maths to handle maths, FM, and physics, have you considered a physics degree?

Speak to your school's careers advisor, have a look through some prospectuses (prospecti?) to see if any courses grab your attention, and maybe try some wider reading around the subjects you're doing to see if there's anything in there that fascinates you (even though it's not taught at A level).
    No, I too want to do medicine, my dad just says its the best option from my choices. The question is if I do something that I enjoy the most eg; research, my job prospects and settlement in life won't be wide as if i did medicine. Its just that there are so many things i would enjoy and all leading to different pathways in life, I am not sure which one to pick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you're saying. But I would enjoy both careers almost equally. I know I have more chance of a happier and successful lifestyle if I choose Medicine. There are so many things I would enjoy, however. Maths and Physics too are my favourite!

Then choose Medicine

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 24, 2013
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.