The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Coventry University London Campus

Hello everyone,

I recently finished from this school but they have nothing to offer, as they use mediocre lecturers and even teachers not fluent in english. They have a main campus but I think the London Campus is a waste of money, 1st of all you are charged to use their systems, they don't post results on time. They hardly reply emails when you have a query.I am not racist or anything but the majority of the school is just filled with Indians you can hardly mix with other nationalities.
Through out my time in the school, i was never offered internship opportunities, something my local country would give me.The only thing the employability team offered was how to write a CV.

My overall experience was dissatisfaction.

Is there anyone here that recently finished from there? I would love to hear your views.
Reply 1
Original post by MEREZE
Hello everyone,

I recently finished from this school but they have nothing to offer, as they use mediocre lecturers and even teachers not fluent in english. They have a main campus but I think the London Campus is a waste of money, 1st of all you are charged to use their systems, they don't post results on time. They hardly reply emails when you have a query.I am not racist or anything but the majority of the school is just filled with Indians you can hardly mix with other nationalities.
Through out my time in the school, i was never offered internship opportunities, something my local country would give me.The only thing the employability team offered was how to write a CV.

My overall experience was dissatisfaction.

Is there anyone here that recently finished from there? I would love to hear your views.

Errrr and your point is ? did you actually put in the work ? its not all down to the Lecturers and other "Indian" students (what?).... you have to want to succeed.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
I did put in the work but it wasn't worth the money I invested in, they don't pick money from the floor you know?
Reply 3
I later found out that there were better schools with much better opportunity, how many organisations recognise coventry uni.
Reply 4
Original post by MEREZE
I later found out that there were better schools with much better opportunity, how many organisations recognise coventry uni.

Oh dear.... always someone to blame, never yourself. Get real.

Cov uni is ranked 46 from 130 unis and voted top "new" uni (former poly)

Dozens of blue chip org recognise it. Too many to list.
Reply 5
Original post by covkid96
Oh dear.... always someone to blame, never yourself. Get real.

Cov uni is ranked 46 from 130 unis and voted top "new" uni (former poly)

Dozens of blue chip org recognise it. Too many to list.

Why not list one? Too many to list indeed...
I can see you are 16 and yet to realize the real world, good luck bro.
Reply 6
Original post by MEREZE
Why not list one? Too many to list indeed...
I can see you are 16 and yet to realize the real world, good luck bro.

Hewlett Packard, Jaguar Land Rover etc..... look at the uni site for the rest.

Btw. 22 years old, BSc hons from Cov Uni..... now at Warwick uni studying for my Masters. Not 16, but very opinionated..... lol !
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I am in my final year at Cov's main campus doing BEng Hons electronic engineering.

I mostly agree with the OP, its not much better in the main campus.
Even CovKid left and went to warwick, wonder why?
Reply 8
I wonder why too, and they charge so much for inferior quality. Google is your friend, you can do some research on what I am saying.
Reply 9
Hi,

As a current British post graduate MBA student at CULC, I find the comments here very surprising. I have to agree with other students that perhaps you didn't put the effort required into your studies. As I work hard, and have been active in all areas of student life such as being president of societies and a founding member of the universities 'High Flyers' (and I am the second oldest student on campus) my efforts are paying off and are reflected in my results.

A strong point about the university is the tutors all have past industry experience and are always on hand to answer emails and of course provide face-to-face advice if requested. The emphasis is however (as in all UK universities) on motivating ones self to make the most of the opportunities that are offered.

The campus is multicultural and I found (as a UK citizen since birth) I was definitely a minority once inside the building. However as I am originally from the multicultural city of London, this does not bother me in the slightest and in fact makes the experience far more interesting. Other students from the UK agree with my point of view. Certain cultures are represented more than others, however no single culture dominates over another.

I am surprised that an internship was not offered to the author, as I am in my final term and all of those in my term who wanted an internship have been successful. I am also not sure why the author was charged for 'use of systems' - once the fee is paid, all systems are free, except payment for overdue library books and additional printing, over and above the allocation one is provided on arrival; which is fair enough in mine and my colleagues opinion. It is not clear what systems he is referring to.

Results are sometimes a few days late, which is usually an administration issue with someone not 'pushing the button' so they are live on moodle at the right time. This is annoying, but not a major bug bearer when considering the rest of the positive benefits the university has to offer. You always get your results - even if they are 2-3 days late.

As the number 1 modern university for several years, and now ranked 27th UK University (a massive improvement on 2 years ago), the organisation is continuing to expand and grow its network of students, courses and is taking over the whole building including adding better student facilities from October this year.

I have spoken to several professionals about my studies (partners in Anderson, Mckinsey etc) and they seemed to know about CULC, therefore the comments about the university not being recognized professionally is surprising. As are comments apparently slating one commentator for choosing to do their masters at an alternative university. I did my fist degree at Surrey (8th in UK university league tables) 13 years ago, and chose CULC for the degree choice, location and fact that academic tutors have excellent relevant industry experience. Before signing up I went in and spoke to them as I did other universities (research...). It's sad that the response from the author to anyone disagreeing with him appear to get personal, as this is not a professional response.

Sadly, by posting negative comments the author does himself no favors. Future employers who might research Coventry University London Campus to find out more about his education are unlikely to be impressed by reading negative online comments submitted by him, as this would indicate he has not sought to make the most of his experience - and it suggests he might one day post negative comments online about them! Who would want to employ someone like this?
I have just started my MBA from CULC, to be honest I am not impressed one bit by the university. Maybe because I am from Keele University thats where I did my undergraduate degree from. The library is so small its like half the size of one section of the library in keele. Mind you keele library is just massive. And I am a kind of person who gets their work done in the library can't do anything at home. So that's a massive put off for me. Secondly there is only 1 lecture hall for the whole of the uni, I mean come on this feels like a 6th form college and less like a uni. I am yet to discover what the lecturers offer as my first lecture was about business strategy which I had done a whole module in my undergrad so it doesn't feel like I am learning something new. Even the marketing lecture felt a repetition from my undergrad mind you I did dual honours in Business Management and Finance. Despite not being a marketing student we had covered what is being taught here. So I really would like a honest opinion on this degree as is it worth it? If not then I am thinking of doing investment management Msc from Coventry University Main Campus.
Reply 11
Abhi.chatt, I would advise you not to expect what you had at Keele University in terms of facilities and student support because there is none at CULC.
The Uni is very tiny occupying four floors of one small building, two occupied by administration and library and two being classes and lecturers offices. The library only has the basic minimum of what the course requires, and with some lecturers lacking the commitment, you may very well get disappointed in the process. Although you will get some committed lecturers time to time, some do not even bother to reply to student emails and may take weeks to reply leading to frustrations. The administrations also take the short route of sending a generic email as a response which does not address the student concerns, just to put him off.
Also to point out on the marking of papers, you will very soon realise that there is no specific standard to marking papers and you can expect any grade depending on who marks and their mood on that day. There is no redress once your marks are entered in the system and the only thing you will get are assurances that they have a benchmarking process which involves 'external assessors' and 'examination board' but all that is a mere whitewash PR to dismiss any disgruntled students. This means that your grades will keep fluctuating from distinctions to very low passes even if you keep your work in pristine quality and consistent.
The support and mentorship you get from some of the lecturers is mediocre and woe unto you if you are assigned a bad supervisor at the end of your dissertation. Some of the supervisors are ordinary business people with a bit of business experience but no teaching or academic qualifications and are only there to supplement their incomes leading to your failure. If you complain, the registry will only tell you that they have confidence in their teaching staff and marking criteria and this will only leave you helpless.
The only advantage of CULC is its location and proximity to central London but in terms of academic quality and facilities, I doubt you will get much satisfaction, to say the least.
Another systemic issue plaguing this university includes the lack of a student union. In its place, you only get to elect a puppet student representative (hint: elections are moderated by the administration). A proper student union would help the students to present their grievances to the administration and ensure that they are addressed appropriately.
A mistake students often make is that they usually do not do enough research before joining a Uni and are more eager to securing a place than what they will derive from the Uni once they have paid their tuition fees, sadly I am one of them. I know this because I was a 2014 Global business MBA student.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the MBA program. Can you also share how was your job placement handled in the sense of uni recognition amongst potential employers.

Original post by Owlie11
Abhi.chatt, I would advise you not to expect what you had at Keele University in terms of facilities and student support because there is none at CULC.
The Uni is very tiny occupying four floors of one small building, two occupied by administration and library and two being classes and lecturers offices. The library only has the basic minimum of what the course requires, and with some lecturers lacking the commitment, you may very well get disappointed in the process. Although you will get some committed lecturers time to time, some do not even bother to reply to student emails and may take weeks to reply leading to frustrations. The administrations also take the short route of sending a generic email as a response which does not address the student concerns, just to put him off.
Also to point out on the marking of papers, you will very soon realise that there is no specific standard to marking papers and you can expect any grade depending on who marks and their mood on that day. There is no redress once your marks are entered in the system and the only thing you will get are assurances that they have a benchmarking process which involves 'external assessors' and 'examination board' but all that is a mere whitewash PR to dismiss any disgruntled students. This means that your grades will keep fluctuating from distinctions to very low passes even if you keep your work in pristine quality and consistent.
The support and mentorship you get from some of the lecturers is mediocre and woe unto you if you are assigned a bad supervisor at the end of your dissertation. Some of the supervisors are ordinary business people with a bit of business experience but no teaching or academic qualifications and are only there to supplement their incomes leading to your failure. If you complain, the registry will only tell you that they have confidence in their teaching staff and marking criteria and this will only leave you helpless.
The only advantage of CULC is its location and proximity to central London but in terms of academic quality and facilities, I doubt you will get much satisfaction, to say the least.
Another systemic issue plaguing this university includes the lack of a student union. In its place, you only get to elect a puppet student representative (hint: elections are moderated by the administration). A proper student union would help the students to present their grievances to the administration and ensure that they are addressed appropriately.
A mistake students often make is that they usually do not do enough research before joining a Uni and are more eager to securing a place than what they will derive from the Uni once they have paid their tuition fees, sadly I am one of them. I know this because I was a 2014 Global business MBA student.

Quick Reply

Latest