The Student Room Group

Applying to oxbridge after gap year-fancy helping me plan?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to study modern languages at uni (french and spanish) and although I got offer from some great places, I was considering applying for oxbridge after a gap year.
I don't want to give the impression that this is my only reason for taking a gap year, as I want to improve my knowledge generally.
The reason I've posted this thread is because I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what sort of activities would be good to do before applying, and what kind of thing they look for in applicant,

Thank you!
Original post by ElectronicPanda
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to study modern languages at uni (french and spanish) and although I got offer from some great places, I was considering applying for oxbridge after a gap year.
I don't want to give the impression that this is my only reason for taking a gap year, as I want to improve my knowledge generally.
The reason I've posted this thread is because I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what sort of activities would be good to do before applying, and what kind of thing they look for in applicant,

Thank you!

Work experience in Germany or France?
Language tutor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd advise you to go France and Spain during your gap year and work/volunteer over there. You could do Au Pairing or something like that? My friend is doing MML at Cam, and she spent all of her half terms/holidays at her respective language countries to gain experience. If you're serious about it, thats what I'd recommend you do, because I know (from experience) if you don't practice your language for a year, you will really lose your ability in it. Just be really careful with taking a gap year for Oxbridge. I'm a gap year student who has an unconditional from Cam, but Cam wasn't the only reason I took a gap year. My firm was for a course/university I didn't want to go to, I wasn't entirely healthy, I had a lot of opportunities to improve my ability for my degree over my gap year. Make a list of reasons why a gap year would benefit you without including Oxbridge. The odds of being rejected don't change if you're on a gap year, and you'll find out by January. Waiting until September/October to go to the same university you had a year ago whilst all of your friends are having a great time may be hard. Take it from me, the biggest battle this year for me has been trying not to get upset over the fact that I'm on a gap year whilst all my friends love life at university! x
Original post by hogwartian1993
I'd advise you to go France and Spain during your gap year and work/volunteer over there. You could do Au Pairing or something like that? My friend is doing MML at Cam, and she spent all of her half terms/holidays at her respective language countries to gain experience. If you're serious about it, thats what I'd recommend you do, because I know (from experience) if you don't practice your language for a year, you will really lose your ability in it. Just be really careful with taking a gap year for Oxbridge. I'm a gap year student who has an unconditional from Cam, but Cam wasn't the only reason I took a gap year. My firm was for a course/university I didn't want to go to, I wasn't entirely healthy, I had a lot of opportunities to improve my ability for my degree over my gap year. Make a list of reasons why a gap year would benefit you without including Oxbridge. The odds of being rejected don't change if you're on a gap year, and you'll find out by January. Waiting until September/October to go to the same university you had a year ago whilst all of your friends are having a great time may be hard. Take it from me, the biggest battle this year for me has been trying not to get upset over the fact that I'm on a gap year whilst all my friends love life at university! x

thanks this has been really helpful :smile:
i've looked at au pairing, i think the problem is i may be abroad during interview time..but they sometimes do skype interviews, i think :s-smilie:
if you don't mind me asking, what do you think was the most constructive thing you did on a gap year/ what advice would you give on what to do?

i'm also a bit worried about the literature aspect of the oxbridge courses..any ways to prepare for that?
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
Work experience in Germany or France?
Language tutor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooh work experience could work, may have to do some research :3
i was considering language tutoring, but i'll probably have to fit a TEFL course in somewhere.
Original post by ElectronicPanda
thanks this has been really helpful :smile:
i've looked at au pairing, i think the problem is i may be abroad during interview time..but they sometimes do skype interviews, i think :s-smilie:
if you don't mind me asking, what do you think was the most constructive thing you did on a gap year/ what advice would you give on what to do?

i'm also a bit worried about the literature aspect of the oxbridge courses..any ways to prepare for that?

READ READ READ, everything from translations of Classical works to modern novels to Victorian greats to the texts in the languages. Read and think about what you're reading.
Original post by such_a_lady
READ READ READ, everything from translations of Classical works to modern novels to Victorian greats to the texts in the languages. Read and think about what you're reading.

haha thanks :biggrin:
yeah i got a few foreign novels lying around ready for the holidays :tongue:

but how do you go about reading foreign literature? i don't if it's 'cheating' if i read a translation first.
and what kind of questions do you ask whilst you read?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending