The Student Room Group

Remove failure from CV?

Hi,

I just wanted to know whether I should keep the fact I have failed University in my CV, I did not achieve any credits. Since then I have gone on to study at another University but in a completely different degree.

Any thoughts on the matter are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Personally I'd remove it, especially if you failed and were kicked out as opposed to dropping out due to realising that it wasn't the course for you.

However, it does leave the issue of a gap on your CV. How big would the gap be, and did you have a part time job that could 'cover' the gap?
don't mention it, it's irrelevant and potentially damaging to your chances. Just mention the results from your most recent degree.
Original post by MrHo
Hi,

I just wanted to know whether I should keep the fact I have failed University in my CV, I did not achieve any credits. Since then I have gone on to study at another University but in a completely different degree.

Assuming you went to the first university for a substantial period of time ie 3 months plus, then you need to put it in because if you leave a gap, you may get asked, and then it will look like you were avoiding discussing something.

Just put

2011-14 University of Nice, BSc (Hons) Bellringing
2010-11 University of Nasty, BA (Hons) Tree Surgery, completed 2 terms

It's open, honest, and very few employers will care all that much.
Reply 4
You need to consider whether your current uni might mention your first uni in a job reference. My first instinct would be to leave the first uni off your CV. However, there's a chance that this might be found out, so it may not be worth the risk.
Reply 5
Hi really appreciating all the opinions and quick answers on this matter as it has been bugging me for a while.

Original post by Origami Bullets
Personally I'd remove it, especially if you failed and were kicked out as opposed to dropping out due to realising that it wasn't the course for you.

However, it does leave the issue of a gap on your CV. How big would the gap be, and did you have a part time job that could 'cover' the gap?

I studied in my previous Uni for 2 years and then took a year out working after before eventually returning to uni. I previously studied Economics and Finance (Bsc) but atm I'm doing Long distance studies at Open University studying Computing & IT (Bsc) as I want to eventually get into Software Development.

Original post by biffyclyro27
don't mention it, it's irrelevant and potentially damaging to your chances. Just mention the results from your most recent degree.

I'm still currently in my first year and have yet to complete a module, should I mention the grade I'm currently working on or not?

I think I'm going to put my first university down even though I did fail as it is within a completely different field and since it is a brick and mortar uni I could say that it wasn't for me and I much prefer long distance studying coupling with work, any thoughts on this approach.
Reply 6
I have a similar problem, I didn't actually fail at university I just left due personal reasons. I just don't want to mention it because fresh start and all that and I don't want people digging up my past. I am planning on applying for an apprenticeship and I'm assuming that apprenticeship applicants at my age (21) it is normal to have not done anything previously? If they really press me I would say i had family prblems so didn't go to university at all?
Reply 7
Original post by MrHo
Hi,

Did you officially fail or did you not complete uni?
Reply 8
Original post by 122025278
Did you officially fail or did you not complete uni?

I officially failed University and was kicked out
Reply 9
Original post by peter12345
I have a similar problem, I didn't actually fail at university I just left due personal reasons. I just don't want to mention it because fresh start and all that and I don't want people digging up my past. I am planning on applying for an apprenticeship and I'm assuming that apprenticeship applicants at my age (21) it is normal to have not done anything previously? If they really press me I would say i had family prblems so didn't go to university at all?

Ye my mentality compared to three years ago is completely different. Before I just wasn't interested in studying but after taking the year out and re-entering education, I have been much more motivated.
Original post by MrHo
I officially failed University and was kicked out

The reason why I ask is they don't usually do that they usually ask you to leave (ultimately kicking you out if you don't).

At the end of your degree they can fail you but that isn't the same as getting kicked out. Did you complete the degree then fail at the end?
Reply 11
The reason why I ask is they don't usually do that they usually ask you to leave (ultimately kicking you out if you don't).

At the end of your degree they can fail you but that isn't the same as getting kicked out. Did you complete the degree then fail at the end?

No I never achieved any credits in my previous studies
Original post by MrHo
No I never achieved any credits in my previous studies

I understand but did they fail you right at the end after 3 years or part way through? Wasn't the University of York by any chance?
Reply 13
Original post by threeportdrift
Assuming you went to the first university for a substantial period of time ie 3 months plus, then you need to put it in because if you leave a gap, you may get asked, and then it will look like you were avoiding discussing something.

Just put

2011-14 University of Nice, BSc (Hons) Bellringing
2010-11 University of Nasty, BA (Hons) Tree Surgery, completed 2 terms

It's open, honest, and very few employers will care all that much.

I failed two courses on TREE 101: Identifying Various Forms of Trees and TREE 303: TREE'S Sexuality.

I also failed a soft subject: ENG_TREE 101: DIFFERENTIATING THE SPELLING OF TREE AND THREE

:colondollar:
Reply 14
I understand but did they fail you right at the end after 3 years or part way through? Wasn't the University of York by any chance?

only part way through, no i was previously at University of Southampton
Not even an exit qualification like an HND/HNC? I'd remove it and make up an excuse like been travelling or caring for your family.
Original post by MrHo
only part way through, no i was previously at University of Southampton

If it's any consolation, Economics and Finance is definitely one of the harder degrees. How do I know this? Because I graduated in 2012 and I was able to see the degree classes from both the Maths and Economics department. Only one person got a 2:1 in Maths and Finance, that was the highest out of 8 people. in Economics and Finance there were a lot more people, around 50 maybe and there were even about 6 ORD (ordinary degrees) plenty of 3rds and 2:2s. The joint degrees definitely seemed the most challenging than straight honours.

There are some positives though for you. You were only part way through, so you don't have as much to pay back in loans as someone who'd stayed 3 years. You also have no degree, which in some cases I think is better than having a degree. You went to Southampton so your A levels must be good. Economics and Finance like I've said is challenging so you could just admit it wasn't for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
If it's any consolation, Economics and Finance is definitely one of the harder degrees. How do I know this? Because I graduated in 2012 and I was able to see the degree classes from both the Maths and Economics department. Only one person got a 2:1 in Maths and Finance, that was the highest out of 8 people. in Economics and Finance there were a lot more people, around 50 maybe and there were even about 6 ORD (ordinary degrees) plenty of 3rds and 2:2s. The joint degrees definitely seemed the most challenging than straight honours.

There are some positives though for you. You were only part way through, so you don't have as much to pay back in loans as someone who'd stayed 3 years. You also have no degree, which in some cases I think is better than having a degree. You went to Southampton so your A levels must be good. Economics and Finance like I've said is challenging so you could just admit it wasn't for you.

Ye I have reasonable grades for A level which is pretty much my saving grace. I'm just not sure whether or not I should leave Southampton on my CV, I'm not worried about explaining the situation in an interview as I can easily just say because University wasn't for me so I decided to do long distance education but I'm just worried that employers will take one look and discard my CV.

Thank you for the info :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by firaWhoops
Not even an exit qualification like an HND/HNC? I'd remove it and make up an excuse like been travelling or caring for your family.

The highest qualification I have atm are my A-Levels which i got A,B,B
Original post by MrHo
Hi really appreciating all the opinions and quick answers on this matter as it has been bugging me for a while.

I studied in my previous Uni for 2 years and then took a year out working after before eventually returning to uni. I previously studied Economics and Finance (Bsc) but atm I'm doing Long distance studies at Open University studying Computing & IT (Bsc) as I want to eventually get into Software Development.

I'm still currently in my first year and have yet to complete a module, should I mention the grade I'm currently working on or not?

I think I'm going to put my first university down even though I did fail as it is within a completely different field and since it is a brick and mortar uni I could say that it wasn't for me and I much prefer long distance studying coupling with work, any thoughts on this approach.

Right now I presume you aren't applying for a job that uses Finance or Economics skills. If that is the case, then an employer isn't going to care. So you spent 2 years at a uni, studying a course, and then left - the only relevance is that you were doing something constructive for 2 years. You are, presumably trying to get a job either based on a skill set other than your current degree subject, or based on your current degree, and that is what the employer is looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending