The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Appeals?

I understand that plenty of highly qualified people get rejected from LSE, but based on the reason they gave, I feel like I should appeal.

I was rejected because the admissions tutor felt that my personal statement did not convey my desire to pursue economics very well. However, I genuinely disagree with that, especially since I outlined some VERY unusual qualifications in my PS, which emphasize my commitment and aptitude for further study in economics.

How should I go about doing this? Is there any formal paperwork or specific people I need to contact? Should I have my referee correspond on my behalf?

I understand I should go into this with very low expectations, however I do feel that having another set of eyes go over my application can be beneficial, and there's really nothing to lose by appealing.
Reply 1
Frankly, it's a waste of time and resources. And I don't think there is any way of appealing.

Furthermore, it's not like the appeal, if mounted, would be on a very strong ground. The admission tutor thought your PS didn't convey your desire to study economics - that's an extremely subjective consideration - what you think is unusual and interesting and conveys your economics interests could very well just seem odd and out of place to the tutor.

At the end of the day, the tutors know what they're looking for in prospective economics students and whatever you think is your interest in Economics, is just not what they offer at the LSE.

Or maybe think of it this way: people who actually were accepted wrote Personal Statements that conveyed their enthusiasm for economics - in the eyes of the tutor - to a much, much greater extent than you did.

There is no way this will succeed on your end. Accept it. Move on.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
You can't appeal the decision, it is final.
Every person who gets rejected this late on will get the "it's your personal statement" excuse. So no, you can't appeal.
Reply 4
Original post by arrowhead
Frankly, it's a waste of time and resources. And I don't think there is any way of appealing.

Furthermore, it's not like the appeal, if mounted, would be on a very strong ground. The admission tutor thought your PS didn't convey your desire to study economics - that's an extremely subjective consideration - what you think is unusual and interesting and conveys your economics interests could very well just seem odd and out of place to the tutor.

At the end of the day, the tutors know what they're looking for in prospective economics students and whatever you think is your interest in Economics, is just not what they offer at the LSE.

Or maybe think of it this way: people who actually were accepted wrote Personal Statements that conveyed their enthusiasm for economics - in the eyes of the tutor - to a much, much greater extent than you did.

There is no way this will succeed on your end. Accept it. Move on.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Well, I did ask around and apparently you can request that a different admissions tutor review your application. Since their reason for rejecting me was very subjective, like you said, I think having a different set of eyes go over my application could actually help me. Obviously I won't get my hopes up, but I have nothing to lose from appealing.
Reply 5
Original post by kingkurry
Well, I did ask around and apparently you can request that a different admissions tutor review your application. Since their reason for rejecting me was very subjective, like you said, I think having a different set of eyes go over my application could actually help me. Obviously I won't get my hopes up, but I have nothing to lose from appealing.

In any event, I sincerely wish you the best!
Original post by kingkurry

I would be surprised if they obliged. If you look in their admissions policy, they only accept appeals in light of new information (which essentially means if you were ill/seriously affected by something during first year and didn't tell them) or if you think they didn't administer the admissions procedure correctly, which I think is nearly impossible to prove!

Seriously, getting rejected isn't the end of the world...

Quick Reply

Latest